Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas) | Page 31 | The Boneyard

Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think he could play right away at UConn. He probably would not start (barring Omar's improvement this year and how D-Ham develops) but he would probably get pretty significant minutes here. Especially if he can shoot. If he is a reliable shooter then he will play as long as he establishes himself as a consistent outside shooting threat. And he probably knows that. He definitely knows he's a good player and could get playing time at UConn. I'm not counting him out just yet.
Where do you see significant minutes coming from? With Cassell, TSam, Adams, and possibly still Purvis, we'll have ballhandlers in the backcourt, and then DHam and Omar at the wings. There really isn't alot of time there for a freshman with his skillset, which we would have to see how it immeditaely translates, to get gobs of playing time right off the bat.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Omar could be
Where do you see significant minutes coming from? With Cassell, TSam, Adams, and possibly still Purvis, we'll have ballhandlers in the backcourt, and then DHam and Omar at the wings. There really isn't alot of time there for a freshman with his skillset, which we would have to see how it immeditaely translates, to get gobs of playing time right off the bat.
Omar could continue his dismal play this year and be out of the question for playing time, and D-Ham could be gone for all we know. Tevin Mack would start if that was the situation, but even if only one of those situations play out, a lot of playing time opens up for Mack.

Reaction Score
Not looking good based on being sold the immediate playing time bunk.

Going to an inferior program because they have 1 guy in the league and who knows how he will end up doing long-term vs. a program that puts player after player into theleague and wins TITLES.

Kid needs to think long and hard about whats best LONG-TERM. If you're good, you will get noticed whether you play a ton early or year # 2.

By the way, if Mack goes to UCONN , he would get a lot of playing time early. May not start right away, but will play a TON nonetheless.

Think brother man, THINK!
Honestly I can see a certain angle for the guys looking to get all the PT they want right away. Kind of tells me they're not committed to the process; they may be looking ahead to the NBA. They want to have the ball in their hands as much as possible to showcase their skills as much as possible. Rodney Purvis, who was far more touted than Mack or most of these guys we're missing out on to lesser programs because we already have talent at the desired position, redshirted i.e. zero PT. He's committed to the process and to playing for UConn.

I'm not saying Mack is necessarily only thinking about the NBA

Reaction Score
Playing time does not necessarily equate starting, so take that with a grain of salt. Brimah & Giffey played a lot last year, but weren't starters most of the season. I think Mack would garner minutes as a freshman. He didn't say he needed to be a starter. Big difference! I'm guessing he'll be seen more playing for UConn than USC, Clemson, VCU or UGA, regardless of starting or not. Those other teams don't bring in NBA scouts like UConn. Heck, Scouts were at UConn's practice last week... the non staged practice, like KenSucky's recruting 'event'...

Reaction Score
He wants to play more, not be challenged and be close to his mom. We have more quality than all those local schools. You have to be sure your game ever can be drafted if you want to to come to Uconn. Jalen, Enoch and Diamond know they are tops. Maybe he has doubts.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He's saying what most recruits think.

But this is Ollie's UConn and he doesn't need most recruits.

Mack has it all wrong. Getting early playing time due to a lack of competition is different than earned early PT. Scouts and personnel men know how and why frosh are on the court.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I want the kids here that want to helps us win Championships not kids who want to get a lot of exposure.

What he said is literally what the coaches sell kids. We are UConn. We produce NBA pros. We get a ton of exposure (15 games on CBS/ESPN/ESPN2) which only happens at the top 7 or 8 schools in the entire country.

He essentially repeated UConn's points of emphasis.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Don't want to read too much into his comments but it sounds like a kid who wants to be guaranteed a starting job his freshman year and we simply don't do that. You come to UConn and you are expected to compete for everything and it's a huge reason why we are UConn and not Clemson or Georgia etc.

I don't think he's looking for a guarantee; I think he's looking at rosters, seeing empty holes and saying to himself, "these guys have no one on the wing. I'll play right away."

Reaction Score
husky99 said:
I have been benched

If it turns out you're wrong, just remind these folks that Calhoun and staff popped the cork on champagne bottles when they found out that Bill Curley was coming. The next day, he committed to BC. Can't get much more "insider" than that, and they were wrong.

Well, I guess I just reminded them for you so you don't have to.

Reaction Score
I don't think he's looking for a guarantee; I think he's looking at rosters, seeing empty holes and saying to himself, "these guys have no one on the wing. I'll play right away."
I think you're saying the exact same thing I said. He sees no competition for playing time at those schools, he sees competition at UConn.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think you're saying the exact same thing I said. He sees no competition for playing time at those schools, he sees competition at UConn.

Ahh gotcha, I read it as, "the coaching staff guaranteed him playing time at UGA and UCONN's didn't" or something like that.

Reaction Score
What he said is literally what the coaches sell kids. We are UConn. We produce NBA pros. We get a ton of exposure (15 games on CBS/ESPN/ESPN2) which only happens at the top 7 or 8 schools in the entire country.

He essentially repeated UConn's points of emphasis.
Yes I get that, that's why I said "I want" Meaning I liked the way Shabazz did it... 4 yrs
2 championships and a college degree then the NBA

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yes I get that, that's why I said "I want" Meaning I liked the way Shabazz did it... 4 yrs
2 championships and a college degree then the NBA

He's the only guy ever to pull that feat off at UCONN (or most every other school), so don't hold your breath.

caw

Reaction Score
I have been benched

So was your source just off on timing or final two is my question?

I've seen others who claim sources around the web mention various things: USC says it's USC orUConn, VCU says VCU or UGA, UGA say UGA or UConn. Clemson doesn't seem to know or care.

Reaction Score

I've seen others who claim sources around the web mention various things: USC says it's USC orUConn, VCU says VCU or UGA, UGA say UGA or UConn. Clemson doesn't seem to know or care.

From my five minutes of researching the vcu's insider's posting history, he does seem legit. He is also extremely confident. Wild guess, but Mack's trainer played at U Richmond so it's very possible that someone could know him.

Reaction Score

So essentially, no one knows anything...

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
I have tried very hard to NOT go to VCU's board, but I broke down today. I did see something that I found interesting though, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how accurate it is. The number of games that they have on major networks seems to be more than ours, and if I remember correctly, someone was just saying the other day that we have one of if not the most nationally televised games in the country. Any info is helpful.

I would drive a couple more hours to see a "W" more often.
There is also this:

MBB-TVgames100914-Social.jpg

Reaction Score
I have tried very hard to NOT go to VCU's board, but I broke down today. I did see something that I found interesting though, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how accurate it is. The number of games that they have on major networks seems to be more than ours, and if I remember correctly, someone was just saying the other day that we have one of if not the most nationally televised games in the country. Any info is helpful.

There is also this:

MBB-TVgames100914-Social.jpg
Without ragging on them too much, ESPN U isn't exactly prime time television. Same can be said for CBS Sports Network. Just because those are listed doesn't mean it is a game on ESPN or even on CBS. Probably many of those are on thw channels hidden deep in your sports package that you never watch.

Reaction Score

There is also this:

Here's how it breaks down:

Capture.PNG

VCU is playing in the Legends Classic, so if they win against Nova, they'll get another ESPN2 game, but if they lose, they play on ESPNU.

UConn in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off could get a couple more games on ESPNU or ESPN2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom