Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was going to say Zionn has been very credible, when unsure he points that out although when fairly sure seems spot on. Either way as he said, although we do not know his contact, even if it were KO himself kids change their damn minds!

Keep it coming Zionn and thanks!

Reaction Score
Yes, very nice shooting touch. A strange video for someone his size to not have a single dunk in a highlight video.

You know what that video is a breath of fresh air. I would much rather see a kid rain bowing jumpers and being creative going to the hole with finger rolls and floaters than a highlight reel of wide open slams.

To be honest part of the reason I like Clarke better than Jones is on DJ's he's a dunking machine and many are just wide open. Not saying the kids not an amazing athlete but from a wing a few dribbles and a few jump shots like DHam certainly impress ME more, not saying what it does for others!

Reaction Score
Thanks Ace. How can one be off when discussing something as fluid as recruiting? ; )

My 'shaky' Davis post.

RE: Ville offer

going on record of ssaying this is not a good development. Will be a dog fight down till the end for Mr. Adams (Hence the E. Davis offer).

Not exactly sure you would call that misinformation. Same scenario here in making a late offer as a contingency plan to force the issue. Worked with Adams, but we'll see with Clarke.
That Davis offer was reported on a Saturday, Adams visited UConn again that Sunday and basically committed, I don't think that offer forced his hand when UConn wasn't even really involved with Davis at that point yet. I'm not gonna pretend like I know what exactly is going on with Clarke, but I just don't see KO wasting his resources by visiting him at his HS on the very first day that he could if things had went sour.

Reaction Score
I am hearing the adults in Clarke camp are telling him to keep his options open based on playing time. There is no doubt he had a good visit.
Makes complete sense. Unfortunately, this also reaffirms my biggest fear. I see little chance that both Clarke and Jones would both come. I also doubt that Clarke commits before the Jones situation has clarity. The longer Jones takes, the greater the chance is that we miss out on both.

Reaction Score
I am hearing the adults in Clarke camp are telling him to keep his options open based on playing time. There is no doubt he had a good visit.
Makes complete sense. Unfortunately, this also reaffirms my biggest fear. I see little chance that both Clarke and Jones would both come. I also doubt that Clarke commits before the Jones situation has clarity. The longer Jones takes, the greater the chance is that we miss out on both.
This sounds like the most logical scenario yet. He likely had a good visit, but wasn't willing to commit as was hoped for by the staff....at least not yet. Sounds like he, and his advisers, want to make sure that Jones isn't coming here too. So it's either a case of waiting for Jones to commit somewhere...or UConn assuring Clark that they will back off of Jones after a CC commitment. Mack is insurance in case this whole thing blows up.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
You know what that video is a breath of fresh air. I would much rather see a kid rain bowing jumpers and being creative going to the hole with finger rolls and floaters than a highlight reel of wide open slams.

To be honest part of the reason I like Clarke better than Jones is on DJ's he's a dunking machine and many are just wide open. Not saying the kids not an amazing athlete but from a wing a few dribbles and a few jump shots like DHam certainly impress ME more, not saying what it does for others!

I pointed out the lack of dunks as unusual because it was odd and because the success of "pure shooters" seems to depend on their being athletic enough to guard and get playing time (e.g. the opposite of Scotty H.). His high overall rating would suggest he's a really good player and it probably was just something about the videographer's choices of what to include. In the overall scheme of things, it would be nice to get a great shooter to go with the speed and driving ability of the guys on the team.

Reaction Score
Have to make the assumption that the UC coaching staff has a pecking order of who they want at each position. Every school has a list where they rate the player and their chance of landing the player.

If Clarke told coaching staff last weekend that he'd like to commit to UConn, but he's lower on UC's list than Jones, then the UC staff may have told Clarke that they're going to wait for a yea/nay from Jones first. Obviously, KO would only do this if (1) he felt that UC was in good with Jones and (2) if Jones was projected as the clearly better player.

Just saying that Clarke not committing last weekend after his visit may have been as much about KO not being ready to hand the scholarship out yet. Who knows?

Reaction Score
Have to make the assumption that the UC coaching staff has a pecking order of who they want at each position. Every school has a list where they rate the player and their chance of landing the player.

If Clarke told coaching staff last weekend that he'd like to commit to UConn, but he's lower on UC's list than Jones, then the UC staff may have told Clarke that they're going to wait for a yea/nay from Jones first. Obviously, KO would only do this if (1) he felt that UC was in good with Jones and (2) if Jones was projected as the clearly better player.

Just saying that Clarke not committing last weekend after his visit may have been as much about KO not being ready to hand the scholarship out yet. Who knows?

If this were true, then the quick offer to Mack would not make sense.

Reaction Score
Those schools can guarantee immediate playing time. We can't/won't/shouldn't.

I get that. But was he really expecting that?

The kid whose own AAU coach said he didn't expect him to be an impact player right away is expecting guaranteed playing time from us?

Reaction Score
I get that. But was he really expecting that?

The kid whose own AAU coach said he didn't expect him to be an impact player right away is expecting guaranteed playing time from us?

"If it’s at UConn, I don’t see him being an immediate impact guy with some of the talent they have there, but some of the other schools he could be an impact guy. He has to work through that situation."

Reaction Score
Ray Allen was recruited out of SC. Hope he's there when Tevin visits. Rod Sellers is another from SC...can't recall any others but I'm sure there's more. Tevin's game seems Allenesque.

Reaction Score
Ray Allen was recruited out of SC. Hope he's there when Tevin visits. Rod Sellers is another from SC...can't recall any others but I'm sure there's more. Tevin's game seems Allenesque.
Just need some Southern boys, which we got with Rock.

Reaction Score
Ray Allen was recruited out of SC. Hope he's there when Tevin visits. Rod Sellers is another from SC...can't recall any others but I'm sure there's mor Tevin's game seems Allenesque.[/QUOT

How about Ricky Moore? I'm sure he'll be around.

pj

Reaction Score
The official visit is the first time the coaches spend a lot of one-on-one time with a recruit, so they can learn a lot about where his head is at. He also spends time with a player-host and likely lets his guard down. So the coaches generally have a much better idea where a player is leaning after the visit.

It sounds like when the visit started, UConn thought they were Clarke's choice and were hoping for a commitment. By the end of the visit, Clarke wasn't ready to commit and UConn had downgraded their chances of getting him enough that they felt it made sense to offer Tevin Mack.

So, "poor visit" doesn't mean it went badly from Clarke's point of view, maybe UConn rose in his estimation, but it didn't go as the coaches hoped it would.

Reaction Score
The visit immediately after to his school prompts you to believe the staff was concerned about something. But he may just want to think about the playing time which some seem to be drilling inn his head. Therefore when that begins to change his mindset the staff needs to look elsewhere just in case. They didn't just suddenly run into Mack anyway I am sure.

Either way it will work its way out. Clarke, Mack or Jones are all good looking prospects. And I'm sure there is someone else waiting in the wings who we don't know about........

Reaction Score
Mack looks like a really nice prospect. He seems like a long 6'6", and looks to be a very good deep shooter. Some similarities to DHam, it appears.

Reaction Score
The staff visited Cassell Jr pretty quickly at his Juco after he visited as well, its standard fare in recruiting. Maybe something didn't go well, but I'm not quite sure why a visit would make you and others think that when its the normal practice when you want to show a recruit they're a priority.

The visit immediately after to his school prompts you to believe the staff was concerned about something. But he may just want to think about the playing time which some seem to be drilling inn his head. Therefore when that begins to change his mindset the staff needs to look elsewhere just in case. They didn't just suddenly run into Mack anyway I am sure.

Either way it will work its way out. Clarke, Mack or Jones are all good looking prospects. And I'm sure there is someone else waiting in the wings who we don't know about...

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
What really impressed me about Mack in his video was his quick release and mid-range game. Looked like he would be excellent as both a spot up shooter on kick outs, but could also create his own shots. Most importantly, he looked like a great teammate always pointing and acknowledging his teammate that assisted on a made bucket. Felt like the video was an attempt to give a reflection of his game rather than an ESPN highlight reel. It says a lot about him or at least his handlers if that's how he wants to represent himself.

Hopefully, he comes for a visit!

Reaction Score
Just visited VCU's board, completely forgot about terry larrier lol. They don't care for uconn much, lots of talk about how KO 'didn't win with his recruits'/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom