I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
UTrans
Tranny U ?!?
0004-John-Terry-Tranny.jpg

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Best front court? No smu and cincy had better front courts. He is weak and duke and Kentucky centers have showed he is far from being elite. I hope he improves with a full off season but his game is very limited.

Whah, whah, whah whah, whah whah whah.

Reaction Score
I should have specified his shooting numbers were mediocre: 34% overall and 26% from 3 -- looks like most of his shots were 3's. In fact, his overall shooting profile isn't too dissimilar from Omar Calhoun last year.

I'm inclined to give Larrier the benefit of the doubt here; I'm just curious what the likely explanation is.

I only saw VCU a couple times last year, but my impression was that their offense was only slightly less frenetic than their defense. The stats reinforce that impression. VCU shot poorly as a team - they were 256th in the country in team FG % (.420 - by comparison we shot a robust .438). But they were 21st in FGA per game. So their style was to shoot early and often, and not to worry much about the quality of shot.

I suspect that's part of the explanation, and that the other part is "freshman". DHam only shot 38% last year - I'd be shocked if that percentage isn't significantly higher next year. Kids need time to adjust to the college game, some more than others.

Plus, look at Larrier's body - there's no question that an extra year to gain strength is going to help him.

Reaction Score
Whah, whah, whah whah, whah whah whah.
Yep and the good thing if he is the same player as last year we have more options down low. I'm excited we have both SM and SE coming in because if someone isn't doing well up front we have many options. Similar to 2013 to 2014. We are golden at the other 4 positions so we will be fine and I'm definitely looking forward to this year. If AB improves then that just will make us that more of a complete team.

Though not to get the thread off the main subject. TL is a great pick up and definitely what we needed. We potentially could lose 7 players next year so we need players at all positions and some depth. Big Big year for KO recruiting wise. I'm glad he is landing people with how much doubt there was on the BY.

Reaction Score
There were some who were concerned about our recruiting and i was of the opinion that if Ollie couldnt pull in a good class for `16 then id start getting concerned. Seeing as he is already knocking out the park for `16 i think those worries can be put to rest.
Larrier is a major major talent and sitting a year to work on his game with this staff and the talent he gets to practice against will make him the best that he can be. very excited!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Wow! That VCU board is hilarious with the tampering claims. Lmao

A few of them are being downright nasty to the kid. Really reflects poorly on their fanbase. To those Ram fans reading this board; we don't schedule home-and-homes with bush league programs that have bush league fans. End of story.

Reaction Score
A few of them are being downright nasty to the kid. Really reflects poorly on their fanbase. To those Ram fans reading this board; we don't schedule home-and-homes with bush league programs that have bush league fans. End of story.
Because no one on the BY was nasty about the AO situation? I feel a bit bad for VCU fans...they were never close to our level of a program obviously but things were looking great with Shaka and the recruits they had. Imagine if we didn't follow up Calhoun with KO...

Reaction Score
This is an enormous get which eases the pressure on Ollie to land a stud SF/PF in the class of 2016 .... It's also a big deal to, like with Gibbs, beat out a notable P5 program.

Apparently something about Ollie or the program resonates better with these older transfers than it did with the 2015 high school kids.

Could it be as simple as the high school kids being too negatively influenced by competing coaches regarding our conference affiliation? On the other hand, the transfers have the experience and knowledge to know that UConn is still very much the real deal!! ;)

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Because no one on the BY was nasty about the AO situation? I feel a bit bad for VCU fans...they were never close to our level of a program obviously but things were looking great with Shaka and the recruits they had. Imagine if we didn't follow up Calhoun with KO...

Apples and oranges...did Mr. Larrier challenge their coach to a fight and level nasty accusations against the program to cover for his son's lack of motivation/bruised ego after Drummond came in? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate AO for what he did for us during the '11 run (and for being a really nice guy the one time I met him in person), but there was a ton of maliciousness directed towards the university from his camp. On the contrary, Larrier lost a coach, moved on to the one he liked the second-most during his HS recruiting, and as an added plus gets to play closer to home. Plus there's no evidence aside from whiny posters that Larrier had any open conflict with the staff à la AO.

Reaction Score
Matt1010 said:

More the attitude with AO and family than the fact that he left. It was in everyone's best interest that he transfer - he was a senior and neither he, nor us, would benefit from his spending his senior year on a team that was ineligible. A 2013 team with AO might have meant less Daniels at the 4.

Not sure if Larrier had any digs on the way out, but their coach did leave, so even if he had digs, they would be toward another regime. Unless he had digs at VCU being a dumpy campus surrounded by boarded up buildings - that's permanent.

Reaction Score
What we really need is one of these:
latest

...So kids can just forget what bad choices they made, then they continue on in the ecstasy of UConn.

Who's next? Devin Robinson now that Donovan is gone?

Reaction Score
No right now he plays like a 3 star. He can block shots against inferior players but can do little else. He was being benched for Nolan at the end of the year. Does he have potential sure but he needs to work on his strength and post moves before he sniffs the NBA. He is an adequate center at most right now due to getting pushed around by most legit centers and he can't rebound or score unless it is a dunk from an alley-oop.

I think AB will really excel with Miller on the floor with him. Miller will attract the big body guys that push AB around and a lot of the focus and pressure will be lifted. His numbers won't reflect it because all the scorers we have but his all around play will be huge. It's going to be a big season.

caw

Reaction Score
Very nice. This has been a fantastic month for UConn recruiting to say the least. Hit on all three out of four targets that have visited and still very good with #4.

VCU played a very bad offense, but Larrier does need to work on his shooting and shot selection.

Reaction Score

A more similar transfer comparison might be with Roscoe. When he wanted to leave, he didn't bad mouth the program.... and in turn, the fans didn't hurl stones at him on his way out the door. Both sides were respectful...which is far more than either AO & company or the VCU fans can say!

Reaction Score
Some Larrier stuff from throughout this past season...

Looks like Virginia's Justin Anderson has been high on Larrier for a while:

Another tweet:

----------------------------
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/01/27/vcu-george-washington-havoc-terry-larrier

One of Smart's options was freshman Terry Larrier. The four-star recruit out of The Phelps School averaged six points in 15.5 minutes in VCU’s first 13 games. In the next six games, those averages crept up to eight points and 19.3 minutes.

Against the Colonials, Larrier piled up 11 points on just four shots as the Rams built an eight-point halftime lead, and he finished with 15. Scoring has never beenLarrier’s problem -- he poses a serious matchup nightmare for defenders with his lanky frame on the perimeter and can drive or shoot from outside. It was his defense that needed work early on this season.

During the game, the CBS Sports Network broadcast crew mentioned how Smart had said “the light was flickering” for Larrier on the defensive end. That’s how he’ll stay on the floor with the Rams. And that’s how VCU, and Larrier specifically, will get better in the long term.

The same 6-foot-8 frame that causes problems for defenders should eventually become a perfect fit in the Havoc defense. If the light stays on for Larrier, Smart could have yet another dangerous option to slot in come tournament time.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-to-count-stanfords-guards-among-nations-best

2. VCU's Terry Larrier could be a difference-maker: Shaka Smart knew he needed to add high-major talent to get back to the NCAA Tournament's second weekend and did that with Larrier. The 6-foot-8 freshman was recruited by several high-major programs and looks like a major coup. Long and incredibly athletic, Larrier (15 points, four rebounds in 22 minutes) looked like the best player on the floor at times in VCU's 72-48 win over George Washington on Tuesday night. The Bronx native has scored seven or more points in four of the Rams' past five games and could make a real difference for VCU (17-3, 7-0 Atlantic 10). Smart knows what he'll get from his two main guys, Treveon Graham and Melvin Johnson. Larrier's emergence as a regular offensive threat could change this team's dynamic.
College basketball's breakout players for 2015-16 season
VCU guard Terry Larrier: A former Top-40 recruit, Larrier could explode as a sophomore. The 6-8 forward only averaged 6.6 points in 18.5 minutes this past season, but should be regularly featured in the Rams' attack with Treveon Graham gone. If Larrier adds a consistent perimeter shot to go with his freakish build, he'll be a nightmare to defend.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...sketballs-breakout-players-for-2015-16-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom