Terrence Samuel Our Second Best Guard | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Terrence Samuel Our Second Best Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
He gets great lift but either seems to get too far under or take off from too far away. A lot of plays where he should just dunk it but clangs it off the backboard.

This year he just doesn't look like himself. That jump shot too...yikes.

Reaction Score
Hamilton is the answer to perimeter shooting and scoring. He has the confidence and ability to knock down shots.

Yes but he is a SF. And it does seem he is our best shooter and 2nd ball handler. Needs to get some experience.

Reaction Score
Which is bizarre because I definitely remember him being a tremendous finisher last season.
Yes but you hand to defend the perimeter last year against us. Not this year. Teams will pack the paint. Wont be him just having to beat one person this year.

H

huskymagic

Op sorry no way. If you really think that I need some of what you are smoking. He played hard today but is so limited offensively it isnt funny. He is a bench player who had to play due to a thin backcourt and dham with stupid fouls.

Agreed ideally he should be a backup sixth man, but on this team unless Omar Calhoun comes back a new player or Purvis somehow has an epiphany, T-Sam is actually our second best guard right now despite his perimeter deficiencies which all of our guards seem to be having. The answer is more touches to our big men to play inside/out. Driving the ball and dishing to Hamilton will also help because he has the confidence and the shooting ability to make 3's.

Reaction Score
Agreed ideally he should be a backup sixth man, but on this team unless Omar Calhoun comes back a new player or Purvis somehow has an epiphany, T-Sam is actually our second best guard right now despite his perimeter deficiencies which all of our guards seem to be having. The answer is more touches to our big men to play inside/out. Driving the ball and dishing to Hamilton will also help because he has the confidence and the shooting ability to make 3's.
You're doubling down on stupid.

Reaction Score

Calm down about Purvis. He is one game removed from a 19 pt performance. And he got injured early in this game. This team is an all around better shooting team than they displayed today. They've only played 4 games with many key new players. Give them some time. I love the versatility and potential this team has.

Reaction Score
Which is bizarre because I definitely remember him being a tremendous finisher last season.

He was a tremendous finisher for 2 or 3 wonderful, memorable games during the tourney. For the other 25-30 regular games (other than the USF game), he was a bit player. Did he somehow grow into a tremendous finisher, or were those tourney games an anomaly?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
He was a tremendous finisher for 2 or 3 wonderful, memorable games during the tourney. For the other 25-30 regular games (other than the USF game), he was a bit player. Did he somehow grow into a tremendous finisher, or were those tourney games an anomaly?

I honestly don't really remember him missing many lay ups throughout the season. Just because he didn't score much doesn't preclude the fact he finished in the chances he got.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't really remember him missing many lay ups throughout the season. Just because he didn't score much doesn't preclude the fact he finished in the chances he got.

Maybe you are right. I just remember saying, "no, no... yes!" every time he took the ball to the hole in the tourney. I have no memory of him finishing in traffic that way he did against 'Nova, Iowa St., and in his one chance against UK. Perhaps I was selling him short, but I was utterly shocked that he was a guy who gave us double figures in 2 of our tourney games.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Maybe you are right. I just remember saying, "no, no... yes!" every time he took the ball to the hole in the tourney. I have no memory of him finishing in traffic that way he did against 'Nova, Iowa St., and in his one chance against UK. Perhaps I was selling him short, but I was utterly shocked that he was a guy who gave us double figures in 2 of our tourney games.

Who knows. I'm sure we both watched all the games. Maybe I'm biased because I like the nyc guys haha

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Has anyone else ever noticed that Samuel pounds the living out of the ball when he dribbles?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This is T-Sam's stat line:

31.7 mpg, 6.3 ppg, 1.7 apg, 2.7 tpg, 0.3 spg. 8/25 from the field (40%).

Of course, we all know stats don't tell the true story. So let's throw out the two garbage-time layups and he's averaging 5.0 ppg on 26% shooting in 32 minutes a game. It doesn't help him out when you look at his A/TO ratio.

He's not our second best guard. He needs to improve significantly or else he should only be playing when Boat needs a breather. I love the kid -- he was great for us down the stretch last season -- but his ability to break a press doesn't come close to making up for his inability to do anything else offensively.

Reaction Score
I agree with your post but there is nobody on the team with point guard skills and a handle other than T-Sam next to Boatright. The other thing we should be doing is to drive and kick to Hamilton for 3's because he can hit them with confidence and consistency. Facey and Brimah also need to get more touches in the post. Facey especially has shown in 4 games that he can finish around the basket. We need to feed the post to relieve pressure from the guards as well.

Huskymagic, you are right that he is the 2nd best ball handler on the team, and that is likely to stay that way for most if not all of the season. Ollie will have to find a way to adjust the chemistry of them team so as not to be so reliant on the old 2 pg offense. Hamilton has incredible potential, and he will a major part of that adjustment. In addition, as the season progresses I would expect better, more consistant play from the shooting guard position. In many ways, the team will have to return to the model that won the first 2 National Championships - with strong play from the small foward position rather than the 2 pg model that won the last two (is it really 4 NC's?). Regardless, we have a brilliant coach who will find a winning strategy.

I am just glad that UConn doesn't have to face UConn in March.

Reaction Score
This is T-Sam's stat line:

31.7 mpg, 6.3 ppg, 1.7 apg, 2.7 tpg, 0.3 spg. 8/25 from the field (40%).

Of course, we all know stats don't tell the true story. So let's throw out the two garbage-time layups and he's averaging 5.0 ppg on 26% shooting in 32 minutes a game. It doesn't help him out when you look at his A/TO ratio.

He's not our second best guard. He needs to improve significantly or else he should only be playing when Boat needs a breather. I love the kid -- he was great for us down the stretch last season -- but his ability to break a press doesn't come close to making up for his inability to do anything else offensively.

The problem is that none of our non-Boatright guards - sans Purvis for one game - are superior options at this point. Cassell Jr. has been jacking up bricks at a 29% clip and providing less than stellar perimeter defense as a side order. Purvis is shooting 37% and in the red in assists to turnovers. Omar Calhoun is coming off an awful season, still injured, and now in trouble for skipping a curfew.

So I guess the only answer - even if we have no choice - is to wait it out. It's only been four games.

Reaction Score
We're a game removed from Purvis scoring 19 and Terrence going 0-5 and throwing the ball to everything in a Dayton uniform, so settle down.

If the time comes that TSam is our second best guard, we're f---ed.
I was thinking the same exact thing...probably would have worded it a tad differently. :) I love TSam's effort and intensity, but at times, such as tonight, he sometimes plays a tad too fast and often seems on the edge of turning the ball over. He needs learn to still play hard but not too quick. Fast and in control is the name of the game for a good college PG. He's a great off-the-bench role player, but if the team needs to rely on him for the minutes he had to play last night, that's going to be a problem. They need to get quality PT from Purvis and SCJr, something they lacked terribly last night.

Reaction Score
Fishy UCONN will be more than fine with T-Sam being our second best guard. Purvis is better coming off the bench where he can read the game better. Purvis should be much better for a junior but he plays like he has no handle, no shot, no understanding when to pass or shoot. T-Sam starting is a panacea for the team.

magicman, he's not our 2nd best guard. And as the Fishman stated when he is we're in huge trouble. He is what he is, you saw it last year. Anything more we're screwed. And for those who said we'd be in good hands if at some point he was the #1 PG for the Huskies at some point in his career, you rethinking that one - I hope?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I thought I've seen Tsam play much better than he played last night, so I was disappointed in him too

I guess the other guys played so bad, he looked good to some :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom