Terrence Samuel Our Second Best Guard | The Boneyard

Terrence Samuel Our Second Best Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

huskymagic

Terrence is showing today against a good WV team why he is so important to UCONN. He is our second most important guard after Boatright. I really don't want to hear about Purvis this or that because he has no handle, no shot, terrible mechanics, and no intangibles.

T-Sam showing the heart and toughness that is missing from everyone else.

Reaction Score
Not a knock on TSam but no, he is not our 2nd best guard although he may be our 2nd best PG.

Reaction Score
I love Tsam's hustle and D but he shoots about 10% on layups.

Reaction Score
Terrence is showing today against a good WV team why he is so important to UCONN. He is our second most important guard after Boatright. I really don't want to hear about Purvis this or that because he has no handle, no shot, terrible mechanics, and no intangibles.

Reactionary nonsense, it's 1 game.

Reaction Score
He's the best at beating the press, which is giving everyone but him serious trouble tonight

Reaction Score

Go review your post history, and then you will surely stop posting

Reaction Score
huskymagic said:
Terrence is showing today against a good WV team why he is so important to UCONN. He is our second most important guard after Boatright. I really don't want to hear about Purvis this or that because he has no handle, no shot, terrible mechanics, and no intangibles. T-Sam showing the heart and toughness that is missing from everyone else.

When you make a statement like that about Purvis you're going to - correctly - be written off as a clown. Grow up.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We're a game removed from Purvis scoring 19 and Terrence going 0-5 and throwing the ball to everything in a Dayton uniform, so settle down.

If the time comes that TSam is our second best guard, we're f---ed.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He's our second best PG and currently the only one who can break the press. He's playing great so far though.

Reaction Score
When you make a statement like that about Purvis you're going to - correctly - be written off as a clown. Grow up.

Same guy who said Shabazz sucked and DD was a p___y 2 years ago. I'm not sure why I can't ignore him.

Reaction Score
This is the same idiot who wrote off DeAndre after his freshmen year and should transfer, and that Roscoe was going to be the Big East player of the year. Please get lost.

Reaction Score
I like Samuel because of his hustle and defense, but because he is our second best point guard is exactly the problem that the team faces. UCONN's recent success has been having 2 outstanding point guards that could both drive to the basket and shoot from outside. Kemba had Shabazz (albeit he was a freshman but he was Shabazz), and Shabazz had Boatright. Samuel's lack of an outside shot provides extra difficulty for a team that struggles in the front court. However, I really appreciate the level of intensity and energy he brings.

H

huskymagic

Fishy UCONN will be more than fine with T-Sam being our second best guard. Purvis is better coming off the bench where he can read the game better. Purvis should be much better for a junior but he plays like he has no handle, no shot, no understanding when to pass or shoot. T-Sam starting is a panacea for the team.

Reaction Score
I am not here to knock on anyone's game as you guys said it's early.

But what worries me about PR's game is his defense effort.

His rebounds per game (30 mins+) is exactly ONE. Yes, his rebounds total is 3 in 3 games, playing 30 mins average.
He has 4 TOs.

Again, I know the sample size is only 3 games. But I know we take pride on our defense. PR needs to clamp up his game.

Reaction Score
We're saying this during a game that Purvis got injured, what, 1 minute in and is clearly not playing 100%?

Reaction Score
TSam is playing fine, I don't think anyone is questioning that. He brings a lot to the team. But absent a strong front court, having strong ball handling and shooting by two guards rather than one helps to equalize the front court weakness. At the moment, UConn has a plethora of shooting guards with some, but limited ball handling skills. Ryan Boatright's biggest problem is that he doesn't have another Ryan Boatright on the team. The sad thing is that the media will question his ability to lead the team and ignore how much more responsibility is on his shoulders. To challenge high pressure defenses, someone, possibly Sam Cassel Jr, has to develop as a second premier ball handler or else the front court has to get a lot more dominant.

Having said that, Ollie is an awesome coach and he will guide this team to be the one that no one wants to meet come March and possibly April.

Reaction Score
The idea that TSam played really well tonight (according to Ellis) is shocking. He had a couple of layups and looked competent breaking the press. He has his role, but if that role is our second ballhandler/decision maker then something has gone wrong.

Reaction Score
Tsam might be the backup pg. But we need a shooting guard to be our 2nd best guard or we are Doomed this year. Tsam is one dimensional at best. Meaning no threat from the perimeter and misses to many layups. I'm not at all impressed with his game.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I love Tsam's hustle and D but he shoots about 10% on layups.

Which is bizarre because I definitely remember him being a tremendous finisher last season.

H

huskymagic

I like Samuel because of his hustle and defense, but because he is our second best point guard is exactly the problem that the team faces. UCONN's recent success has been having 2 outstanding point guards that could both drive to the basket and shoot from outside. Kemba had Shabazz (albeit he was a freshman but he was Shabazz), and Shabazz had Boatright. Samuel's lack of an outside shot provides extra difficulty for a team that struggles in the front court. However, I really appreciate the level of intensity and energy he brings.

I agree with your post but there is nobody on the team with point guard skills and a handle other than T-Sam next to Boatright. The other thing we should be doing is to drive and kick to Hamilton for 3's because he can hit them with confidence and consistency. Facey and Brimah also need to get more touches in the post. Facey especially has shown in 4 games that he can finish around the basket. We need to feed the post to relieve pressure from the guards as well.

Reaction Score
stephen Henry said:
TSam is playing fine, I don't think anyone is questioning that. He brings a lot to the team. But absent a strong front court, having strong ball handling and shooting by two guards rather than one helps to equalize the front court weakness. At the moment, UConn has a plethora of shooting guards with some, but limited ball handling skills. Ryan Boatright's biggest problem is that he doesn't have another Ryan Boatright on the team. The sad thing is that the media will question his ability to lead the team and ignore how much more responsibility is on his shoulders. To challenge high pressure defenses, someone, possibly Sam Cassel Jr, has to develop as a second premier ball handler or else the front court has to get a lot more dominant. Having said that, Ollie is an awesome coach and he will guide this team to be the one that no one wants to meet come March and possibly April.

Yeah - Boat was playing balls out defense on one end to try to keep the ball away from Staten and trying to break pressure on offense. Even as fit as he is, he wore down a bit. His handle got loose and he alligator armed a short shot after some incredible maneuvering to get free. The Samuel from last year's tournament would have been a big help today, just slashing into seams and finishing to provide a relief valve.

I think in March, Hamilton will he the secondary relief valve. He has some bad habits (leaving his feet to pass, spin moves in traffic) that he has to iron out that he probably got away with in HS - and even in practice (WV's pressure is tough to simulate). So you make those mistakes in games, watch the film and learn from it. And then Purvis needs to get better - we need him to attack scrambling defenses and make the right plays.

H

huskymagic

Tsam might be the backup pg. But we need a shooting guard to be our 2nd best guard or we are Doomed this year. Tsam is one dimensional at best. Meaning no threat from the perimeter and misses to many layups. I'm not at all impressed with his game.

Hamilton is the answer to perimeter shooting and scoring. He has the confidence and ability to knock down shots.

Reaction Score
Op sorry no way. If you really think that I need some of what you are smoking. He played hard today but is so limited offensively it isnt funny. He is a bench player who had to play due to a thin backcourt and dham with stupid fouls.

Reaction Score
Which is bizarre because I definitely remember him being a tremendous finisher last season.
He gets great lift but either seems to get too far under or take off from too far away. A lot of plays where he should just dunk it but clangs it off the backboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom