Temple Game | The Boneyard

Temple Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We looked terrible against Stony Brook and frankly, almost lost.

We went down to Tampa and embarrassed ourselves against a mediocre USF team. This loss was absolutely demoralizing and , at times, we looked like a high school team.

Against every opponent we have given up gift touchdowns that have bordered on the ridiculous.

We have a rookie head coach who is definitely paying his dues.

For some reason I can't explain, I can't wait for Saturday to get here. I know it's somewhat irrational, but I'm really looking forward to this game.

Reaction Score
We looked terrible against Stony Brook and frankly, almost lost.

We went down to Tampa and embarrassed ourselves against a mediocre USF team. This loss was absolutely demoralizing and , at times, we looked like a high school team.

Against every opponent we have given up gift touchdowns that have bordered on the ridiculous.

We have a rookie head coach who is definitely paying his dues.

For some reason I can't explain, I can't wait for Saturday to get here. I know it's somewhat irrational, but I'm really looking forward to this game.

I feel the same way and I think it's because every game so far this season, at least to me, never felt like we were truly out of the game. Every game felt winnable (even if it might not have been) and that just keeps me yearning for more. Plus the defense looks pretty spectacular minus Obi of course.

Reaction Score
Unless we start putting a significant win streak together, with 8 games left, we will have seen our largest crowds at Rentschler this season already, by far.

It starts with Temple, this weekend, and then we won't see them at home again until November. Screwy schedule again this year. We'll have played 5 games by the end of September, and have 2 games on the road the entire month of October @ Tulane and @ East Carolina. At least we're not scheduled on Yom Kippur I guess.

This season is something else so far. 1-3, and we simply cannot afford to go 1-4. We'll be lucky to split the road trips in October 1-1. 3-4 at homecoming against UCF, going 2-1 minimum, in the next 3 games spread over 6 weeks - is where Diaco is going to prove his worth as a head coach, in his first season.

We can do that, and get a win at homecoming - which used to be a pretty much done deal for UCONN against anyone not from West Virginia, we are 4-4 in November, and having a very, Randall Edsall'esque type of year, because to get to that point, and then hopefully earn a bowl game, would show HUGE development through the course of a season - which was Randy's MO.

I never, ever imagnined 4-6 seasons ago, that I'd be looking up, and hoping to get back up to a level of play like that, where you essentially start from scratch every year, but I do hope for that level of program now.

So - the Temple game - is pretty big, for the few thousand of us that will be there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's going to be a nice day and they sell a lot of tickets for homecoming.

It will be late arriving and an early departure but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the highest attendance of the season.

Reaction Score
It's going to be a nice day and they sell a lot of tickets for homecoming.

It will be late arriving and an early departure but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the highest attendance of the season.

? Homecoming is on November 1.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I can't wait either. I LOVE 4PM games and Temple is a good opponent and measuring stick for us. Forecast calls for no rain so I'm looking forward to a couple of passes too. :)

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I can't wait either. I LOVE 4PM games and Temple is a good opponent and measuring stick for us. Forecast calls for no rain so I'm looking forward to a couple of passes too. :)

Have we heard who will be throwing them?
Is Boyle available this Saturday?
If not - who is the 3rd string QB?

Dont know if you have the answers - sorry!

Reaction Score
What cracks me up is the multitudes on this board that could not wait to get rid of Edsall and had no appreciation for what he accomplished. UCONN had a reputation as a solid program with good, physical, well disciplined play. He couldn't recruit high level QBs and receivers and the offense was predicated on ball control and for that reason many were impatient to take the "next step".

This thing is a complete rebuild now and I hope Diaco has us heading in the right direction. The game Friday was god awful ugly, but the kids hung in there and actually had a chance at the end. But, we do not have a level of physical play anywhere near what we had with Edsall's program. I don't see a Petrus, Ryan, Hurd, Sherman, Lutrus, Dehleston, Cody Brown, Lloyd I could go on..... UCONN played very good, hard nosed football controlling the line of scrimmage....and the teams beat the p*ss out of their opponents. We are pretty far away from that right now. P and GDL believed they were smarter than everyone else and could finesse wins. Doesn't work that way in college football.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Have we heard who will be throwing them?
Is Boyle available this Saturday?
If not - who is the 3rd string QB?

Dont know if you have the answers - sorry!

I don't know. I hope Boyle can play on Saturday. Would definitely be nice to get him on the field and get some needed reps against a good opponent.

Reaction Score
What cracks me up is the multitudes on this board that could not wait to get rid of Edsall and had no appreciation for what he accomplished. UCONN had a reputation as a solid program with good, physical, well disciplined play. He couldn't recruit high level QBs and receivers and the offense was predicated on ball control and for that reason many were impatient to take the "next step".

This thing is a complete rebuild now and I hope Diaco has us heading in the right direction. The game Friday was god awful ugly, but the kids hung in there and actually had a chance at the end. But, we do not have a level of physical play anywhere near what we had with Edsall's program. I don't see a Petrus, Ryan, Hurd, Sherman, Lutrus, Dehleston, Cody Brown, Lloyd I could go on..... UCONN played very good, hard nosed football controlling the line of scrimmage....and the teams beat the p*ss out of their opponents. We are pretty far away from that right now. P and GDL believed they were smarter than everyone else and could finesse wins. Doesn't work that way in college football.

There was nothing wrong, with wanting the program to improve beyond the level that we had achieved, between 2006-2010. It was a valid question, to wonder if Edsall was capable of it, or if we needed to go in a different direction, to make that improvement. Edsall, made the answer clear, for the program, by checking out, on his own. If we were going to improve from that, it would be with a different head coach.

4 years later, we're still looking for that head coach, and system that will produce better results than what we got from 2006-2010. If we had made a good hire, and put in a good program that could do it in 2011, we'd be there already now.

Instead, we are building from scratch again.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm not particularly looking forward to it, but good on ya, Blue.

I'll go, I'll tailgate, I'll cheer. But this season has all the excitement of a funeral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom