Tee shirts are out! | The Boneyard

Tee shirts are out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I bought a couple of officially licensed "10 Championships" commemorative tee shirts at the Big Y supermarket in Guilford, CT today. They were $13 apiece.

Reaction Score
I think all the Big Y's in the state are selling them. I just got mine in Groton today. :)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For our out-of-state fans...the UConn Co-op will ship

Is this the tee? There are others at the link to the Co-op.

33360.209-2T.jpg

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
zakalex said:
I bought a couple of officially licensed "10 Championships" commemorative tee shirts at the Big Y supermarket in Guilford, CT today. They were $13 apiece.

Should've let others know. I bought it on Thursday:

image-466566235.jpg

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Did anyone see the Nike commemorative swag they are giving the team? I want a hoodie!

Nike

Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 1.55.44 PM.png

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It is so really really nice and convenient to have a birthday in late April, and in most years my wife is never at a loss for present ideas.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Did you see this one? All the years are misprinted with the apostrophe on the wrong side of the numerals. How does this get out without being caught?

55692.064-2T.jpg

Reaction Score
Did you see this one? All the years are misprinted with the apostrophe on the wrong side of the numerals. How does this get out without being caught?

55692.064-2T.jpg
I think a lot of (educated) people abbreviate years that way. I've seen it a lot. I used to think it was a typo, or just someone who couldn't spell, but it happens too often for that. I don't understand it, but I think it's commonly accepted.

psconn

Reaction Score
I think a lot of (educated) people abbreviate years that way. I've seen it a lot. I used to think it was a typo, or just someone who couldn't spell, but it happens too often for that. I don't understand it, but I think it's commonly accepted.

I have never seen this used and the construction makes no logical sense. Lots of people (including me) make common grammar and usage errors but that doesn't make them legit. Can you provide another example from an edited source or an entry in a style guide? I just Googled around a bit and saw nothing to support this. I looked at 3 different discussions on the date abbreviation apostrophe and they all revolved around which way the "tail" of the apostrophe should point (it's to the left) but NO ONE put the apostrophe on the right of the numerals. That is just plain wrong.

Last edited:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

that's a great shirt, but according to Nike's site, it's only "coming soon" (I.E., not available yet), and it's $26 plus tax and shipping. The one wbbfan1 and I both refer to above is $12.99 at Big Y.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I have never seen this used and the construction makes no logical sense. Lots of people (including me) make common grammar and usage errors but that doesn't make them legit. Can you provide another example from an edited source or an entry in a style guide? I just Googled around a bit and saw nothing to support this. I looked at 3 different discussions on the date abbreviation apostrophe and they all revolved around which way the "tail" of the apostrophe should point (it's to the left) but NO ONE put the apostrophe on the right of the numerals. That is just plain wrong.
It does make sense. The Huskies played like 15 foot women this year. Of course back 15 years ago they shrank down to nothing but still won an NC.

Reaction Score
I agree, makes no sense to me at all. I guess my most common 'source' is others' powerpoint presentations. As a marketing professional I have built thousands of these, collaborated with others on thousands more, and seen even more that I wasn't involved in creating. I finally got tired of correcting this particular 'error', and concluded it is so common it should just be considered a colloquialism instead of an 'error' (The younger President Bush realized his "nucular" pronunciation of the word "nuclear" was technically incorrect, but made no effort to change the way he pronounced it, claiming it was a "regional colloquialism"). (Not that "W" is my grammar role model, but "access" didn't used to be a verb, nor did "google", however that usage is commonly accepted for both due to everyone doing it.)

Maybe Kib should weigh in on this.

psconn

Reaction Score
I forwarded the question to the language experts on the "A Way with Words" radio show. Martha and Grant will know if there is any validity to this construction or how common an error it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom