Team USA | The Boneyard

Team USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For anyone trying to get their hoops fix, Team USA is in a tough game with Turkey on ESPN. Down 3 midway through the third.

Turkey has 1 NBA player. Anthony Davis is going to be the 3rd best player in the league next year. I can't believe I am rooting for a team with James Harden.

Reaction Score
hopefully Davis avoids foul trouble because Coach K is going to have to ride him for the rest of this game, he's dominating here in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
Faried + Davis, and the guards/wings finally learning not to constantly clutch, hold and grab on D turned the game. As for Harden, a 3 on 1 fast break with 2 trailers behind him and him deciding to throw his arms into the Turkish defender to get the foul is why he has one of the more unlikeable games in the league. He got the 2 anyway with the free throws but just give the ball up man.

Reaction Score
I can't stand the way Harden plays basketball, has Drummond gotten a minute this game?

Reaction Score
I don't think so, Drummond is the 4th big. Plumlee has gotten burn though. Its funny, Harden was one of my favorite players in the league on the Thunder but his total lack of effort on D is a big turn off and yea, his offensive game is now offensive as well.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with Davis, and admire his play. Davis vs AD, is like Duncan vs Shaq (finesse vs strength). I expect them to be the face of the NBA bigs over the years with epic battles. Davis right now is a more refined beast, AD is still learning and developing. Both have high ceilings, but Davis is ready.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with Davis, and admire his play. Davis vs AD, is like Duncan vs Shaq (finesse vs strength). I expect them to be the face of the NBA bigs over the years with epic battles. Davis right now is a more refined beast, AD is still learning and developing. Both have high ceilings, but Davis is ready.

its nothing like this

Reaction Score
Maybe USA Basketball shouldn't have an intern or someone writing their web stories. See if you notice what's missing from this article...

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2014/08/usa-defeats-turkey-with-second-half-surge.aspx

And actually, since they will probably edit it at some point, here is the way it stands now:

USA defeats Turkey with strong second half

Unlike most first halves of play for the 2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team, it was the offense that took a while to get into rhythm Sunday against Turkey.

The teams were tied at 16-16 after one quarter and USA's shooters had trouble knocking down open looks against the zone defense played by Turkey.

The one player on the USA team that had no trouble getting started was the energeticKenneth Faried whose hustle and athleticism stood out once again. After an athletic block against the backboard on the defense end, a beautiful reverse layup by Faried put USA up 14-10 midway through the first - part of a 9-0 run for the Americans.

The second quarter played out much like the first as the US team continued to struggle offensively - with several bad passes and a handful of whistles for traveling.

Coach Mike Krzyzewski continued to use different lineup rotations, seemingly searching for a unit that could provide consistent scoring. But the effectiveness of Turkey in limiting the fast break opportunities for USA was a huge reason for the 40-35 lead they held at the half.

Faried and DeMarcus Cousins each scored 8 first half points while the guards struggled to find their shot. Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Derrick Rose combined to shoot 3-13 from the floor through two quarters.

Facing a five point defecit to start the second half, USA made a concerted effort to get big man Anthony Davis more touches on offense and the change in strategy seemed to work. Davis poured in 11 quick points in the third quarter and the American offense heated up as a whole.

But as more shots fell for the US team, Turkey executed the pick-and-roll offense flawlessly and continually knocked down open looks from deep.

Despite shooting 7-14 in the third, Turkey was forced into 8 turnovers in the quarter and outscored 31-20 by the US team. The six point lead for USA heading into the fourth (66-60) was the largest lead they held to that point.

The American offense only got better in the fourth as they opened the final quarter with a 10-0 run and held a 76-60 advantage with eight minutes remaining in the game.

The energy of Faried and the dominance on both ends of the floor by Davis turned a close game into a blowout in the final quarter. Thompson and James Harden both found an open Davis streaking to the rim and connected on alleyoops.

A three pointer and subsequent free throw by Harden put the US team up 93-69 with just under four minutes of play left on the clock.

Outscoring Turkey 63-37 in the second half, the Americans were led by Faried's 22 points and 19 from Davis - all in the second half. In total, five players on the US team scored in double figures while holding Turkey to just one.

Reaction Score
The U.S. is going to lose to Spain if they play like they did today. That team is no joke, and if K plans on playing Curry, Irving, and Harden all at once like he did today, good luck guarding them.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'd take Davis, faried, cousins, and Drummond. Over the gasols, and iblocka. Our guards and wings are so much better than theirs, it's not worth talking about.

Reaction Score
I'd take Davis, faried, cousins, and Drummond. Over the gasols, and iblocka. Our guards and wings are so much better than theirs, it's not worth talking about.

Basketball is a team sport. USA was even with Turkey for 3 quarters. Turkey has 1 NBA player and Omer Asik isn't scaring anyone.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Maybe USA Basketball shouldn't have an intern or someone writing their web stories. See if you notice what's missing from this article...

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2014/08/usa-defeats-turkey-with-second-half-surge.aspx

And actually, since they will probably edit it at some point, here is the way it stands now:

USA defeats Turkey with strong second half

Unlike most first halves of play for the 2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team, it was the offense that took a while to get into rhythm Sunday against Turkey.

The teams were tied at 16-16 after one quarter and USA's shooters had trouble knocking down open looks against the zone defense played by Turkey.

The one player on the USA team that had no trouble getting started was the energeticKenneth Faried whose hustle and athleticism stood out once again. After an athletic block against the backboard on the defense end, a beautiful reverse layup by Faried put USA up 14-10 midway through the first - part of a 9-0 run for the Americans.

The second quarter played out much like the first as the US team continued to struggle offensively - with several bad passes and a handful of whistles for traveling.

Coach Mike Krzyzewski continued to use different lineup rotations, seemingly searching for a unit that could provide consistent scoring. But the effectiveness of Turkey in limiting the fast break opportunities for USA was a huge reason for the 40-35 lead they held at the half.

Faried and DeMarcus Cousins each scored 8 first half points while the guards struggled to find their shot. Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Derrick Rose combined to shoot 3-13 from the floor through two quarters.

Facing a five point defecit to start the second half, USA made a concerted effort to get big man Anthony Davis more touches on offense and the change in strategy seemed to work. Davis poured in 11 quick points in the third quarter and the American offense heated up as a whole.

But as more shots fell for the US team, Turkey executed the pick-and-roll offense flawlessly and continually knocked down open looks from deep.

Despite shooting 7-14 in the third, Turkey was forced into 8 turnovers in the quarter and outscored 31-20 by the US team. The six point lead for USA heading into the fourth (66-60) was the largest lead they held to that point.

The American offense only got better in the fourth as they opened the final quarter with a 10-0 run and held a 76-60 advantage with eight minutes remaining in the game.

The energy of Faried and the dominance on both ends of the floor by Davis turned a close game into a blowout in the final quarter. Thompson and James Harden both found an open Davis streaking to the rim and connected on alleyoops.

A three pointer and subsequent free throw by Harden put the US team up 93-69 with just under four minutes of play left on the clock.

Outscoring Turkey 63-37 in the second half, the Americans were led by Faried's 22 points and 19 from Davis - all in the second half. In total, five players on the US team scored in double figures while holding Turkey to just one.

Final Score?

Reaction Score
That's an exception

Spain gave a US team with Durant, Kobe, Lebron, Melo, Paul etc. all they could handle. Its going to be a good game and you will be in for a surprise if you think the US is going to run them off the floor.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Spain gave a US team with Durant, Kobe, Lebron, Melo, Paul etc. all they could handle. Its going to be a good game and you will be in for a surprise if you think the US is going to run them off the floor.
They won't run them off the floor, but I have the upmost confidence we'll win

Reaction Score
Basketball is a team sport. USA was even with Turkey for 3 quarters. Turkey has 1 NBA player and Omer Asik isn't scaring anyone.
I think I read somewhere where foreign teams practice a lot together off season, so they know each other very well helping build team chemistry. Or I'm I thinking Olympics?

Reaction Score
seems like alot of overreaction across the net due to 2.5 quarters of poor play against Turkey, once they committed to doing what they needed to do they turned a 5 pt deficit into a 25 pt lead within a quarter of play. If they meet, Spain will obviously be a tough test because of their talent level and homecourt advantage, but the US has been down this road before against them with their C and D level teams in 04 and in the 10 World Championships(might have been the friendlies, which is a different level of intensity) and still beat them. The stuff like "well if the US comes out and plays Spain like they did against Turkey will get them blown out" sounds like when guys on here moan and groan about UConn fooling around with cupcakes, there will be a different level of attention and focus paid to a team when they know there's a challenge. One thing that has me really worried tho is the bigs after Faried and Davis, its a really big dropoff to Cousins/Gay/Plumlee/Drummond and it makes it really hard to understand why Taj Gibson wasn't invited. Length, athleticism, can finish at the rim and hit a spot up jumper when needed like Davis has been doing, and he knows Thibs defensive system in and out. Should've been a no brainer for him to at least be invited to camp.

Reaction Score
I think the overreaction to the Turkey game stemmed from their Spurs style ball movement. Pick and roll at the top, feed the roll man at the elbow, cross-court pass to the weak side. They ran some other stuff that reminded me a lot of the Spurs with the way they would screen from different angles, often twice within the span of a couple seconds. With the Gasol's, you know Spain is going to be slinging the ball around the perimeter on a rope if the U.S. can't contain the dribble better (I don't think Curry, Irving, and Harden are the guys to do that).

It'll be interesting to see how Faried and Davis match-up with Ibaka and the Gasol's. Davis is probably the best player of all of them, but he's not necessarily known as a great post defender at this point (nor is Faried). Faried's limitations offensively haven't been a problem on this team, but if Spain can stick Ibaka on him and just allow him to roam the paint, that could take the U.S. out of a lot of what they like to do.

Don't get me wrong, I think the U.S. is the better team and should win. I've just been confused from the start by the way K and Collangelo put together the team. Gibson not at least being invited was a huge blunder, as you mentioned, and somebody like Jimmy Butler would have been an ideal fit as well.

Reaction Score
seems like alot of overreaction across the net due to 2.5 quarters of poor play against Turkey, once they committed to doing what they needed to do they turned a 5 pt deficit into a 25 pt lead within a quarter of play. If they meet, Spain will obviously be a tough test because of their talent level and homecourt advantage, but the US has been down this road before against them with their C and D level teams in 04 and in the 10 World Championships(might have been the friendlies, which is a different level of intensity) and still beat them. The stuff like "well if the US comes out and plays Spain like they did against Turkey will get them blown out" sounds like when guys on here moan and groan about UConn fooling around with cupcakes, there will be a different level of attention and focus paid to a team when they know there's a challenge. One thing that has me really worried tho is the bigs after Faried and Davis, its a really big dropoff to Cousins/Gay/Plumlee/Drummond and it makes it really hard to understand why Taj Gibson wasn't invited. Length, athleticism, can finish at the rim and hit a spot up jumper when needed like Davis has been doing, and he knows Thibs defensive system in and out. Should've been a no brainer for him to at least be invited to camp.
Do you really think Faried is a much better player than Cousins and Drummond? I'm a big Faried fan and he's really being utilized well and playing great on this team but I just don't see how he's a much better player than those two, he certainly isn't in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Do you really think Faried is a much better player than Cousins and Drummond? I'm a big Faried fan and he's really being utilized well and playing great on this team but I just don't see how he's a much better player than those two, he certainly isn't in the NBA.
I'm speaking just on what I've seen thru 4 exhibitions and 2 pool play games, NBA is irrelevant. Cousins might be slowed down with his knee injury, but b/w his D and him messing up finishes at the rim, I haven't been impressed by him. Drummond is harder to judge because he barely plays, but if your not playing then I have to give it to Faried by default. Either way both play backup C minutes so it's not like they're competing with Faried for minutes anyway, only time we might see the two C lineup is in a potential matchup with Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom