Team USA wins #2 v Italy- box score, quotes, photos | The Boneyard

Team USA wins #2 v Italy- box score, quotes, photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Stewie getting the minutes, but the box score suggests she isn't doing very much. :(
Well it's a double jump for her. When you go from HS to College, that's a jump. When you go from College to Pro, that's a jump. When you go from Pro to International, that's a jump.

She managed the HS to College jump pretty well. We haven't seen how she'll manage the College to Pro. I expect she'll do well. But this here is a a double jump, College to International. I certainly wouldn't expect her to dominate at this level, yet.

HGN

Reaction Score
Well it's a double jump for her. When you go from HS to College, that's a jump. When you go from College to Pro, that's a jump. When you go from Pro to International, that's a jump.

She managed the HS to College jump pretty well. We haven't seen how she'll manage the College to Pro. I expect she'll do well. But this here is a a double jump, College to International. I certainly wouldn't expect her to dominate at this level, yet.
Plus , Stewie has to learn to deal with the rougher International play. She hasn't totally mastered how to play when teams try to play her physically. And I am sure its even more physical when International teams are facing The Americans. I think Stewie will be fine in the long run and will benefit greatly from the experience gained.

Reaction Score
Pretty much the only time Stewie has struggled in the collegiate game is when opponents get excessively physical (borderline legal) with her, and she is double-triple teamed like @Stanford. Unless they can figure out another way to slow her down, and that ain't happening, when she returns from Team USA play, college ball this year may seem like a tame walk-in-the-park by comparison.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well that is an interesting box score! Great to see borderline players get a chance to prove themselves to Team USA - McCaughtry, Robinson, Dolson, Dupree, Vandersloot, and Stewie. I know it's just one game but it seems that Dupree and McCaughtry are showing they, too, are worthy for very serious consideration. But it's hard to tell from just the box score. I"m sure the coaches will look at the performances the past 2 games and the next few games as well. Great stuff - thanks for posting!

Reaction Score

There may be something to what you say about Bre's evolution, but she probably isn't called upon to do as much surrounded by such talent. In last year's nc, Bre didn't score much. She did help the team in other ways. On the US team, I suspect Bre is happy to pass as to hunt her shot.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well that is an interesting box score! Great to see borderline players get a chance to prove themselves to Team USA - McCaughtry, Robinson, Dolson, Dupree, Vandersloot, and Stewie. I know it's just one game but it seems that Dupree and McCaughtry are showing they, too, are worthy for very serious consideration. But it's hard to tell from just the box score. I"m sure the coaches will look at the performances the past 2 games and the next few games as well. Great stuff - thanks for posting!
Hard to say Angel and Dupree are getting a chance to prove themselves when Dupree has two WC golds with the team and Angel has the same plus an Olympic Gold. :) But agree that it is a great chance for Stef and Robinson and Sloot and Breanna to get a feel for playing with some of the regulars.
For Breanna - re not doing much: She is the youngest there, and has only played with this type of talent in her other NT experiences. The rest of the time, even as a freshman at Uconn she was the best player on the court. With the NT she has the least experience and is at this point not the most talented - deferring to the others is a sensible move. We saw it before with Maya (though she did shoot a lot more!) during her college days on the NT team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hard to say Angel and Dupree are getting a chance to prove themselves when Dupree has two WC golds with the team and Angel has the same plus an Olympic Gold. :) But agree that it is a great chance for Stef and Robinson and Sloot and Breanna to get a feel for playing with some of the regulars.
For Breanna - re not doing much: She is the youngest there, and has only played with this type of talent in her other NT experiences. The rest of the time, even as a freshman at Uconn she was the best player on the court. With the NT she has the least experience and is at this point not the most talented - deferring to the others is a sensible move. We saw it before with Maya (though she did shoot a lot more!) during her college days on the NT team.
I hear ya - but I said that because I think there's a very real chance Angel and Candice do not make the team. I think it's a much longer shot for Candice, but Angel would basically have to beat out one of Catch, EDD, Maya, or Siemone. Dupree would have to beat out Parker, Charles or Fowles. I think Ogwumike would be a better choice than Dupree but i'm not sure why she's not on the team at the moment...

Reaction Score
I hear ya - but I said that because I think there's a very real chance Angel and Candice do not make the team. I think it's a much longer shot for Candice, but Angel would basically have to beat out one of Catch, EDD, Maya, or Siemone. Dupree would have to beat out Parker, Charles or Fowles. I think Ogwumike would be a better choice than Dupree but i'm not sure why she's not on the team at the moment...
I would take Dupree over Ogwumike. No way Candace gets left off the team.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I can't understand a discussion that relegates Dupree and Angel who both have been stalwarts for the team and remain so not having a "real chance." I do understand that the demographics of competition are fierce.
Bur c'mon...Monster talents
You have to take them over Stewie for example, based on what they bring today.
And Candice is a much more dangerous scorer that Nneka, no matter how much we adore her.

On edit: OOPs: Stewie was 6 of 9 today and settled in nicely....That girl does pick things up quickly, doesn't she.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34