Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tara's right.

There's loads of talent on this team.
How could she possible plan for Chong getting the offense going
or the complete game by Kiah.
Or Morgan (finally) getting in for the most horrible reason and showing her stuff and composure.
And it was so easy to forget after last year that Bria is an assassin.

Scary to think that the team could go undefeated without KLM.

Reaction Score
Tara's right.

There's loads of talent on this team.
How could she possible plan for Chong getting the offense going
or the complete game by Kiah.
Or Morgan (finally) getting in for the most horrible reason and showing her stuff and composure.
And it was so easy to forget after last year that Bria is an assassin.

Scary to think that the team could go undefeated without KLM.
What a wonderful effort from the bench throughout the game and in particular, after the horrible injury to KML. It's almost shocking that UConn, with the help of the above mentioned ladies handily whipped the number 3 team in the country despite subpar games from Stef, Breanna and Mo Jeff.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What a wonderful effort from the bench throughout the game and in particular, after the horrible injury to KML. It's almost shocking that UConn, with the help of the above mentioned ladies handily whipped the number 3 team in the country despite subpar games from Stef, Breanna and Mo Jeff.

Steff and Stewie were excellent on D

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There was no intent. It was completely accidental and just one of those things.

Reaction Score
Jonathan Husky, I agree. Stewie did not play good D or play good at all. By looking at her face, she just didn't seem like she was all there. Certainly will be better down the road. Hopefully, Friday and Sunday.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
There was no intent. It was completely accidental and just one of those things.

Seemingly to drive home the fact that what happened with Kaleena was completely unintentional, CO stepped on one of her own teammate's knees later in the game !

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seemingly to drive home the fact that what happened with Kaleena was completely unintentional, CO stepped on one of her teammate's knees later in the game !

Deja vu. A year ago in Honolulu I watched Chiney get up on Odyssey Sims, bumping her and resulting in the hamstring injury. KML's injury did not look intentional to me but when I saw Chiney later step on her teammate's leg, I was thinking that, whether it's bad luck or her aggressive/athletic play she seems to end up being hazardous to be around.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
NO INTENT, NO FAULT. Stewie and Chiney appear to have stepped on each others feet as they position for a rebound and they both end up sprawled on the ground in opposite directions. The ball comes off in the direction of Chiney's sprawl and KLM leaps up not realizing Chiney is on the ground under where she will land.
I saw that other play which was sort of similar where one of the other Cardinal stumbles to the ground and BB ends up getting fouled in a similar way as she is undercut by the falling player and Chieny ends up avoiding stepping on banks but ends up stepping on her teammate. This stuff happens quite often under the basket when players are rebounding and it is always dangerous for the leapers - luckily it usually just results in a few bumps, occasionally a sprained ankle, and unfortunately sometimes in something more serious - head, knee, or arm/shoulder.
On Edit:
Interestingly, with the reduced physicality it might happen more often as it is harder to fall down/stumble if two or more bodies are really locked up and leaning on each other.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tara also says:

"This is the standard, you know, UConn," VanDerveer said. "It's not going to get harder. What other place are you going to go, what other team are you going to play? This is as hard as it gets."

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Tara also says:

"This is the standard, you know, UConn," VanDerveer said. "It's not going to get harder. What other place are you going to go, what other team are you going to play? This is as hard as it gets."
Jeff Jacobs ‏@jacobscourant 7m
Tara: UConn has no "chumps" in its lineup.

New recruiting sign: "Come to UConn -- Chump-free Basketball."

Or: UConn -- Where we win Chumpfree-ionships."

Reaction Score
Tara knew they would be in trouble and did the best she could to devise a plan to defeat UConn. It wasn't enough with her young players, but there was evidence they will be a force to recon with.

We are lucky, particularly given KML's injury, that the bench was able to step up. Time and time again, I am amazed at Geno's ability to get his player in the right place at the right time.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Orange is developing well and they will make some real noise in the tournament if they can get a third player to step up and be a serious scoring threat on a consistent basis. Possibly McCall.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Orange is developing well and they will make some real noise in the tournament if they can get a third player to step up and be a serious scoring threat on a consistent basis. Possibly McCall.
I think you can win it all with two go to players as long as the rest are not cyphers, so they really only need to find two or three players who can be counted on to consistently contribute in the 8+ point range and it can be a rotating cast - doesn't have to be the same three each time.

Reaction Score
Tara also said she told her players that they were just 20 points away [from beating UConn]. I disagree with this sentiment given the lower offensive production by starters. In reality, Stanford is 20 points away from beating UConn's bench. UConn's second team is probably close to a top ten team themselves.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
For some years now, Stanford has always had someone waiting in the wings to be the next star.
It is not clear that that will continue when Chiney departs. I think the Cardinal will make the Final Four, but I doubt they will be elite after this year.

Reaction Score
For some years now, Stanford has always had someone waiting in the wings to be the next star.
It is not clear that that will continue when Chiney departs. I think the Cardinal will make the Final Four, but I doubt they will be elite after this year.

Recruiting at most schools is cyclical, but Stanford's admissions makes it very difficult to string many high caliber student athletes together to form great teams year after year. Stanford is not near as deep with talented players, and when injuries hit, they hit hard. Doris mentioned losing Kokenis, but she didn't say anything about losing Beebe for good, or Greenfield being out too. Beebe was to replace Nneka and help Chiney in the paint.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Tara also said she told her players that they were just 20 points away [from beating UConn]. I disagree with this sentiment given the lower offensive production by starters. In reality, Stanford is 20 points away from beating UConn's bench. UConn's second team is probably close to a top ten team themselves.

I must be missing something in the translation. I guess elite teams are so far ahead of the rest that 20 points in women's hoops isn't considered a blow-out. Seems being ranked just 2 slots behind the winner is chasm.

Reaction Score
I must be missing something in the translation. I guess elite teams are so far ahead of the rest that 20 points in women's hoops isn't considered a blow-out. Seems being ranked just 2 slots behind the winner is chasm.

I think Tara's pt was Nov. 11th was early for her young team to play the defending champs on their court. Therefore 20pts is bad, but not as bad as it could have been. I think the rankings are meaningless now, same thing about the talk of POY so early in the season. It's a process and a lot tweaking from Nov to March/April with a young team, but Tara is pretty good at improving her teams over the course of the year. So is UConn.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think Tara's pt was Nov. 11th was early for her young team to play the defending champs on their court. Therefore 20pts is bad, but not as bad as it could have been. I think the rankings are meaningless now, same thing about the talk of POY so early in the season. It's a process and a lot tweaking from Nov to March/April with a young team, but Tara is pretty good at improving her teams over the course of the year. So is UConn.
Nice try. 20 points is a wide margin, especially taking into account that UConn was without Stewart for most of the first half and Lewis for the second. Granted that Dolson and Hartley are seniors, UConnisn't exactly a team of ancients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom