Tape Tells D Story (Des) | The Boneyard

Tape Tells D Story (Des)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Buried in a Des article about the 2015 schedule was a bit from DC Poindexter about the defense:

>>UConn starts spring practice March 7. Defensive coordinator Anthony Poindexter knows what he wants from a unit that finished 49th in the country in total defense in 2014.

Well, when you go back and watch the tapes now, watching them a second, third time, and fourth time now, there's just so many things we could have done better," Poindexter said Wednesday. "Starting with me and then trickling down, just things we could have done better ... I think a year under the kids' belt, a year under my belt, a year under the staff's belt, I think we'll make big strides this year.

But there were things like assignment, clear understanding of the game and overall football awareness. At times our tackling was poor, at times our coverage was poor, we blew some assignments. People look at this league kind of funny, but we've got some of the best quarterbacks in the country in this league. There were five or six quarterbacks we faced this year nobody in the country would want to face. You can't do some of the things we did against these high-powered offenses that we play. You can't afford to give up points. If you look back on it, we gave people too much. We feel like we've got the talent and the system to be one of the top defenses in the country. We're just trying to get our kids to think that way and have that mind-set today."<<

Reaction Score
Buried in a Des article about the 2015 schedule was a bit from DC Poindexter about the defense:

>>UConn starts spring practice March 7. Defensive coordinator Anthony Poindexter knows what he wants from a unit that finished 49th in the country in total defense in 2014.

Well, when you go back and watch the tapes now, watching them a second, third time, and fourth time now, there's just so many things we could have done better," Poindexter said Wednesday. "Starting with me and then trickling down, just things we could have done better ... I think a year under the kids' belt, a year under my belt, a year under the staff's belt, I think we'll make big strides this year.

But there were things like assignment, clear understanding of the game and overall football awareness. At times our tackling was poor, at times our coverage was poor, we blew some assignments. People look at this league kind of funny, but we've got some of the best quarterbacks in the country in this league. There were five or six quarterbacks we faced this year nobody in the country would want to face. You can't do some of the things we did against these high-powered offenses that we play. You can't afford to give up points. If you look back on it, we gave people too much. We feel like we've got the talent and the system to be one of the top defenses in the country. We're just trying to get our kids to think that way and have that mind-set today."<<

I like that he takes responsibility. Looking forward to seeing this coach grow in his second year.

Reaction Score
Yes please. Watching when they "gave people too much" on a regular basis was driving me insane.

Reaction Score
I'm optimistic about the defense. Diaco was a very good defensive coordinator, the unit was just average last year learning a new system, and constantly on the field thanks to our anemic offense.

We'll need our defense to get back to one of the better units in the country in order to start winning some game.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
All things considered 49th in total defense isn't bad when you factor in the sheer number of turnovers + 3 and outs the offense had. Too many opportunities for the other team and not enough rest for the defense.

Without looking at actual numbers, I would imagine that if we had any sort of offense that could stay on the field and chew time, we probably are around top 30.

Reaction Score
A lot of folks aren't going to like it, but Diaco is rebuilding Edsall's system. Control the ball on the ground, solid defense, limit turnovers and mistakes. You can win a lot of games like that in the northeast.

I fondly recall the days of physical football. It wasn't always pretty, but the team always showed up and the opponent always new they were in a fight.

P totally duckked that.

Reaction Score
A lot of folks aren't going to like it, but Diaco is rebuilding Edsall's system. Control the ball on the ground, solid defense, limit turnovers and mistakes. You can win a lot of games like that in the northeast.

I fondly recall the days of physical football. It wasn't always pretty, but the team always showed up and the opponent always new they were in a fight.

P totally duckked that.

That's what I was expecting difference being Diaco's charisma. That is the key to attracting better recruits then HCRE. Start winning again and Diaco will sell this thing.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think folks nailed the biggest help to our Defense getting better.....our offense! If we can sustain drives or just get a first down per possession it will greatly help this D

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
That's what I was expecting difference being Diaco's charisma. That is the key to attracting better recruits then HCRE. Start winning again and Diaco will sell this thing.
It's a little bit more challenging to recruit in the AAC than the Big East, but doable... I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom