Take a trip down memory lane: (11) UConn rolls past (6) LSU and Shaq (1991) | The Boneyard

Take a trip down memory lane: (11) UConn rolls past (6) LSU and Shaq (1991)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/15/s...st-regional-uconn-enjoys-laugher-with-79.html

Chris Smith, a junior guard, scored 25 points for a Connecticut offense that made 52.5 percent of its shots, including 59 percent in the second half. Rod Sellers, the 6-9 junior center, scored 13 points with 10 rebounds. John Gwynn, the senior guard, came off the bench to score 17 points.
Connecticut followed a plan to make use of the fast break when one was available, but otherwise execute more purposeful possessions. Defensively, Connecticut used a variety of alignments that alternately collapsed on O'Neal and challenged the L.S.U. shooters.
Jim Calhoun, the Connecticut coach, remembered, "We said to Rod: 'You've got Shaquille. But we've got help for you.' "
Sellers bubbled as he recalled experiences against Georgetown's Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutombo that provided preparation for tonight.
"Coach told me to go to pump fakes because he goes for a lot of pump fakes," Sellers said. "It helped me feel better about myself."

Reaction Score
The thing I remember about that game is Lyman Depriest dunking over Shaq

Reaction Score
Calhoun takes an 11 seed to the sweet sixteen, big suprise...I wonder if Calhoun will ever get the credit he deserves. Name a coach, at least in this modern era who has or is
1. built a program like him...Gonzaga is getting there, but no quite.
2. who is a better scout of talent, he seems to always pull the right guys.
3. maintained an elite status and rarely did you every see his recruiting classes in the top 5.

Also do not forget what he did at Northeastern...people please, you can call him a tactless person, but how can anyone every say that coach k is a better coach. People say he is not an x and o's guy. I guess I would rather be a w's coach.

Reaction Score
The thing I remember about that game is Lyman Depriest dunking over Shaq

the story has gotten better with time....;)

it was actually a fastbreak layup late in the game during which Lyman switched hands under the rim and used the rim to shield off Shaq. Nice way to close out the game...

Reaction Score
Who says he's not an X's and O's guy? That's insane
A lot of people didn't think he was, for some reason. This win over LSU, and more impressively, the 1999 win over Duke, showed otherwise.

Reaction Score
I think Scott Burrell did something special, I think it was a block on Shaq as well. I can remember thinking how worried I was that Uconn was playing LSU, now teams worry about playing Uconn.

Reaction Score
I did not agree that he was not x' o's guys, he definitely...I have to set the record straight. Also do you remember lyman shutting down dana barros in the second half of a game, I cannot remember which year, but it was awesome

Reaction Score
Yeah, I remember that game. The big boys for LSU just couldn't compete with UConn's overall team quickness. Shaq looked lost for much of the game. I thought we would go on a good run after that. Too bad we lost to those Suckeye bastards in the next round. We paid them back in '99 when it mattered though.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I remember that game. The big boys for LSU just couldn't compete with UConn's overall team quickness. Shaq looked lost for much of the game. I thought we would go on a good run after that. Too bad we lost to those Suckeye bastards in the next round. We paid them back in '99 when it mattered though.

Even worse than Ohio St (which was '92), we actually lost to Duke in the Sweet 16, with the infamous Sellers-Laettner incident. We did pay them back a bit too in '99.

Reaction Score
I did not agree that he was not x' o's guys, he definitely...I have to set the record straight. Also do you remember lyman shutting down dana barros in the second half of a game, I cannot remember which year, but it was awesome

Sounds like the '88 NIT semis at MSG. Barros was shooting lights out 1st half, then DePriest completely shut him down the final 20 minutes.
http://www.nytimes.com/1988/03/30/sports/nit-ohio-state-and-uconn-in-final.html

Reaction Score
Even worse than Ohio St (which was '92), we actually lost to Duke in the Sweet 16, with the infamous Sellers-Laettner incident. We did pay them back a bit too in '99.
Yeah thanks for the heads up. My memory ain't as sharp as it used to be.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Sounds like the '88 NIT semis at MSG. Barros was shooting lights out 1st half, then DePriest completely shut him down the final 20 minutes.

Just to help complete that story....

The following year, the first game when we played BC, Lyman held Barros scoreless for the 1st half of that game....

Thus giving Lyman a consecutive 40 game minutes holding Dana Barros scoreless.... A feat, I would venture, that has never been equaled.

Reaction Score
I think Scott Burrell did something special, I think it was a block on Shaq as well. I can remember thinking how worried I was that Uconn was playing LSU, now teams worry about playing Uconn.

Sellers was fronting Shaquille and Shaquille got a lob over Sellers head to Shaquille for an easy dunk. Scotty Burrell, guarding someone in the left corner, came flying (close to literally) and,when Shaquille went to throw down what he thought was an uncontested dunk, blocked the ball into the right corner as he flew right through the lane. Shaquille landed and it appeared that he had no clue either where the ball was or where the player who blocked him came from or went to.

If you never saw Scotty Burrell jump before the recurring knee issues started, you missed something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom