Syracuse HC Hunting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Syracuse HC Hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have never met BD. In fact, I don't know a thing about him other than he has cool hair. However, I refuse to allow my ignorance affect my ability to make bold, unsupported claims about him. Here goes:

HFCBD will not leave UConn. He is building a program built on the philosophy of being the "right kind of guy". The right kind of guy is hard working, honest, trustworthy and loyalty. For him, the money is important, but it is MORE important to build a legacy. He wants to be a coach who is synonymous with the program, and UConn has a tradition of that: Calhoun, Auriemma, Morrone, Stevens (field hockey). He is in the perfect position to become a legend. He will be the coach for the foreseeable future, UConn football will surpass all expectations under his watch, and in 25 years we'll be tailgating at Diaco Field on the UConn campus in Storrs.
Watch for a major uptick in recruiting after beating Temple......Kids just needed to see results....that is supposed to be his strongpoint.

Reaction Score
This is music to my ears (or eyes, really...)
syracuse-whiners.jpg
RESPECT

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'd be most worried if Ferentz retires in the next 2-4 years or so. If Diaco gets UConn turned around and the timing is right, his Iowa ties could put him near the top of their list. Still, that would be a problem we'd like to have.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I have never met BD. In fact, I don't know a thing about him other than he has cool hair. However, I refuse to allow my ignorance affect my ability to make bold, unsupported claims about him. Here goes:

HFCBD will not leave UConn. He is building a program built on the philosophy of being the "right kind of guy". The right kind of guy is hard working, honest, trustworthy and loyalty. For him, the money is important, but it is MORE important to build a legacy. He wants to be a coach who is synonymous with the program, and UConn has a tradition of that: Calhoun, Auriemma, Morrone, Stevens (field hockey). He is in the perfect position to become a legend. He will be the coach for the foreseeable future, UConn football will surpass all expectations under his watch, and in 25 years we'll be tailgating at Diaco Field on the UConn campus in Storrs.
I think you're right... Look at his expirence at Iowa w/ a guy like Hayden Fry. Was there forever and built a legacy. Now Iowa has Kirk Ferentz who has been there since 1999 and has built a winner.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if there is real interest in RE at Cuse. Being a Cuse grad who has seen some success at a similar level school, you would think he would be in the mix.

But I really think the time has passed for coaches like RE. The tough, defensive minded cranky guy who hates the media and doesn't understand today's kids. It feels like he would be better as a position coach in the NFL. I think the college game has passed him by.

I liked RE as UConn's coach at the time...but I wouldn't want him as the coach now and I doubt Cuse does either.

I think Maryland really f-ed his chances for another head coach gig in the near term. Part of the mystery of Edsall as a head coach was whether UConn's newness to D1 football and conference affiliation were the limiting factors to his coaching. He went to Maryland with a much larger budget, more fertile recruiting area and more $$$$$$$ and didn't even achieve what he did at UConn. There isn't anything in his resume to suggest he is better than what he was at UConn.

Reaction Score
Orange fans are an amazing bunch. One or two reasonable guys, but my God. They think that the fact they're in the ACC means they have a better shot at a national championship in basketball than we do. We have as many as a member of the nACC as they did in the Big East. Ollie, the facilities, the tradition and support... the program isn't going anywhere, and it's still head and shoulders above Fruit U.

4>1
You forgot the Helms

Reaction Score
I'd be most worried if Ferentz retires in the next 2-4 years or so. If Diaco gets UConn turned around and the timing is right, his Iowa ties could put him near the top of their list. Still, that would be a problem we'd like to have.

You hit this nail on the head with a sledgehammer. For Ferentz, this season is his vindication against the nimrods who wanted to can him last winter. If he wins this weekend & Iowa advances to the B1G Championship, I like his team's chances. Should he win that & advance to the 4 team National Playoffs, he can throw the fickle finger of fate at his detractors & walk off into the sunset of retirement. There will be lots of applicants for the coaching opening in Iowa City & HCBD could be one of them.

Reaction Score
Syracuse does have an advantage that they have never really exploited. They play in a primarily Mid-Atlantic/Southern football conference and they have a domed stadium. If I were the Syracuse AD, I would hire an offensive coach to take advantage of the Dome as they could have one of the few wide open offenses in the Northeast as they actually play very few games outdoors in the late season in the Northeast. Syracuse could have a high scoring offense and this would allow Syracuse to attract some top offensive athletes.

Syracuse's AD is from Boise St., so I think he knows how to find offensive minded coaches on the cheap. I don't think Syracuse will hire a defensive minded coach this time around.

Reaction Score

unlikely.... money could be too great elsewhere. And he already has a history of moving around.
Add to that the issue of P5 vs G5 and it's almost zero % that BD is at Uconn with any level of success. Even Calhoun went through his options and almost left for South Carolina at one point.
uconn in a P5 could change things but unlikely.
FSU might lose their coach to LSU.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, he's a jersey guy, but it's not like he's in Idaho and would look at RU as a chance to get back home. If he builds a program here over the next few years and is successful and Ferentz decides to step aside for some reason and Iowa came calling, I'd think you'd worry.

There's a lot of ifs and buts in that scenario

If Diaco ever takes a coaching gig in NJ, it will be with the Giants. I think he's riding out the UConn train for several more years. If he is wildly successful, then the big boy programs will look at him. Syracuse is not an upgrade, nor Rutgers.

Reaction Score
If Diaco ever takes a coaching gig in NJ, it will be with the Giants. I think he's riding out the UConn train for several more years. If he is wildly successful, then the big boy programs will look at him. Syracuse is not an upgrade, nor Rutgers.

Diaco's not afraid to look around (he interviewed with Temple, BC and Cal in the year before we hired him), but I think he has to feel like he's in a comfortable spot right now. The kids he has here (and coming in), the culture he's created, the success he's achieved in his second year -- there are probably a dozen or so jobs that he'd leave us for in a heartbeat, and another dozen that he might think about, but none of those is named Syracuse or Rutgers.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Diaco's not afraid to look around (he interviewed with Temple, BC and Cal in the year before we hired him), but I think he has to feel like he's in a comfortable spot right now. The kids he has here (and coming in), the culture he's created, the success he's achieved in his second year -- there are probably a dozen or so jobs that he'd leave us for in a heartbeat, and another dozen that he might think about, but none of those is named Syracuse or Rutgers.

I agree, but nothing in NJ would pry him away from UConn, unless they wear blue and play on Sunday. :) He's not a hot enough name to be courted by anyone who would likely be on his "leave UConn" list, at least not yet. Win a bowl this year, have a one loss season next year with a New Years bowl...and we might have a problem.

Reaction Score
I agree, but nothing in NJ would pry him away from UConn, unless they wear blue and play on Sunday. :) He's not a hot enough name to be courted by anyone who would likely be on his "leave UConn" list, at least not yet. Win a bowl this year, have a one loss season next year with a New Years bowl...and we might have a problem.

I remember having a coach that people sometimes wanted (Randy) and a coach that no one wanted (Coach P). Given the choice, the former is not a problem...

Reaction Score
Speaking of syracuse, on there message board they have a thread about the win vs. Houston

http://syracusefan.com/threads/uconn.96590/

My favorites are the idiots that say, "They wouldn't be 10-1 and ranked 19th in the ACC." That's probably true. They'd be 8-3 or 9-2 and ranked number 19. The ranking takes into account the difference in leagues - which exists but isn't as great as they would like to believe. Syracuse would probably have a slightly better record in the AAC, but they wouldn't suddenly be one of the league's better teams.

Reaction Score
My favorites are the idiots that say, "They wouldn't be 10-1 and ranked 19th in the ACC." That's probably true. They'd be 8-3 or 9-2 and ranked number 19. The ranking takes into account the difference in leagues - which exists but isn't as great as they would like to believe. Syracuse would probably have a slightly better record in the AAC, but they wouldn't suddenly be one of the league's better teams.

Right. I mean, the rankings previously had FIVE two-loss teams, at 11-15, above Houston, and three three-loss teams, at 22-24, below Houston.

So, if their argument is that they would have been 8-2 or 7-3 in another league and not 10-0, OK, great. They'd still be ranked right around 19, or maybe even higher.

Reaction Score
Syracuse would probably have a slightly better record in the AAC, but they wouldn't suddenly be one of the league's better teams.

Not sure why one would make this statement in that they are 0-1 against AAC, losing by 3TDs to USF and the AAC (ex-Tulane) pretty much handled its ACC counterparts. Some would reasonably argue the AAC is the better conference in 15. While I will never know how to compare conferences, I would not argue SU would be any better if they were in the AAC. Their signature win was Wake.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
These are the same people that loved to bust on our 2011 title as 1) our last ever and 2) a gift from the bracket gods. 1 was obviously wrong, and 2 is sort of negated by their only title almost being derailed by a virtual home game against powerhouse Auburn.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Too many Cuse fans are living on the legends of Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little. Cuse hasn't been relavent in the nation football scene for a long while.

And what happened to their vaunted basketball program when they left the BE. Like others who left the BE for the ACC - nothing. Boeheim is done and the program is dirty.

They have a serious jealousy factor to deal with.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

He certainly appears to have that overdeveloped sense of purpose and and endless supply of rainbows and candy to make this a possibility, but money and prestige has a funny way of killing that particular kind of thing. Win this conference and make a NY6 bowl or get us into a better conference, then we can contemplate these questions because it has already been proven that the ceiling for this program is at least that.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Syracuse would probably have a slightly better record in the AAC, but they wouldn't suddenly be one of the league's better teams.

Not sure why one would make this statement in that they are 0-1 against AAC, losing by 3TDs to USF and the AAC (ex-Tulane) pretty much handled its ACC counterparts. Some would reasonably argue the AAC is the better conference in 15. While I will never know how to compare conferences, I would not argue SU would be any better if they were in the AAC. Their signature win was Wake.

You don't need to argue, reasonably or otherwise. You can confidently state as fact that the AAC is better than the ACC in 2015. I'm not sure it's that close unless you are overly enamored with how bad UCF is.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He certainly appears to have that overdeveloped sense of purpose and and endless supply of rainbows and candy to make this a possibility, but money and prestige has a funny way of killing that particular kind of thing. Win this conference and make a NY6 bowl or get us into a better conference, then we can contemplate these questions because it has already been proven that the ceiling for this program is at least that.

From what I've read about Diaco, he seems to be uniquely devoted to his own code of morals. Reading accounts of his coaches and teammates at Iowa, he seemed to be just as disciplined and value-centric as he is today. I'm of the opinion that Diaco believes in community and family a lot more than most others HCs. He sure talks about it more than any I've ever heard. To me, this makes him seem like he would not be anywhere nearly as easily tempted by money or prestige as the average coach. With that in mind, the only other jobs I can ever see him taking are jobs where he's already a part of that community/family -- Iowa or Notre Dame.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From what I've read about Diaco, he seems to be uniquely devoted to his own code of morals. Reading accounts of his coaches and teammates at Iowa, he seemed to be just as disciplined and value-centric as he is today. I'm of the opinion that Diaco believes in community and family a lot more than most others HCs. He sure talks about it more than any I've ever heard. To me, this makes him seem like he would not be anywhere nearly as easily tempted by money or prestige as the average coach. With that in mind, the only other jobs I can ever see him taking are jobs where he's already a part of that community/family -- Iowa or Notre Dame.
I would also add UVA to that mix too.

Reaction Score

To be fair, some who are close to Randy say that the primary reason he wanted to leave was that he didn't get along with Jeff.

Diaco, thankfully, doesn't have that problem.

Reaction Score
To be fair, some who are close to Randy say that the primary reason he wanted to leave was that he didn't get along with Jeff.

Diaco, thankfully, doesn't have that problem.
Didn't get along is putting it nicely..truth is he hated Hathaway's GUTS and couldn't stand him anymore.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We'll be fine this season. After next year, watch out. We could very easily have an 8 or 9 win team competing for an AAC title and Diaco's name being mentioned in the way Rhule and Fuente are now. And that's fine. That's where our program is at right now--a stepping stone for talented, young coaches. In the next wave of CR when we are in big 10/ACC and can afford to pay our coaches more, we'll be able to keep guys like diaco. But it's going to take the Diacos of the world to get us to that point in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom