Sympathy Bowl Participant | The Boneyard

Sympathy Bowl Participant

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well Marshall couldn't get a stop and Colorado State is getting beaten up by Air Force.

This all leaves Boise in the driver's seat. Which I'll admit shocks me - they haven't impressed me at all this season - but if they are 11-2 and win the MWC there isn't even another candidate to debate.

Boise does have a pretty tough Utah State team to deal with...

If Boise loses to Utah State or SDSU/Fresno maybe they cancel the game? Otherwise you have Marshall... and for the love of God... Memphis? I guess Utah State would have a shot at that point too if they beat Boise and win MWC they would be 11-3.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Yeah I think the MWC winner gets it. Every team you named had a better schedule than Marshall. Don't see how Memphis can pass whoever comes out of the MW, thankfully.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah I think the MWC winner gets it. Every team you named had a better schedule than Marshall. Don't see how Memphis can pass whoever comes out of the MW, thankfully.

How about if Fresno or SDSU wins?

Then it's Marshall or the AAC winner.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
You're right, I'm assuming one of the three Mtn. schools wins it. Most years, I'd want the AAC to own that slot as long we're stuck there. I just hate to think of Memphis as a standard bearer.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Classic Boneyard jinx from me on Colorado State. They scored 14 points in like 3 minutes after I posted. They looked dead and then 76 yard TD and all the momentum.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I don't understand how Boise can be ranked and Colorado State wasn't. I know they had the one head to head win but they also lost to Air Force. If Colorado State pulls it out, they probably deserve it.

Marshall never passed the sniff test. I'm glad it didn't become a controversy because they were not a team you could claim would beat one of the big boys.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't understand how Boise can be ranked and Colorado State wasn't. I know they had the one head to head win but they also lost to Air Force. If Colorado State pulls it out, they probably deserve it.

Marshall never passed the sniff test. I'm glad it didn't become a controversy because they were not a team you could claim would beat one of the big boys.

Colorado State can't go unless Boise loses to Utah State even if they beat Air Force.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I haven't seen any of the MWC teams other than Boise. Just flipped over to CSU for the last 5 mins, just in time to see CSU throw a red zone pick..

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Colorado State can't go unless Boise loses to Utah State even if they beat Air Force.
because they're ranked? doesn't csu have a leg up on the conf championship?

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score

I probably don't know the rules there but wouldn't both have one loss in conference?

What's amazing is that if UCF didn't the bed against UConn, they could make an argument for going as well. The loss to Penn State wasn't good but was in a foreign country and the loss to Missouri isn't looking too bad right now.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
they just layed it out on CBS. BSU has a leg up on head-head wins. Either of the other two need a Boise loss.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I probably don't know the rules there but wouldn't both have one loss in conference?

What's amazing is that if UCF didn't the bed against UConn, they could make an argument for going as well. The loss to Penn State wasn't good but was in a foreign country and the loss to Missouri isn't looking too bad right now.

Have to be a conference champion. If Boise beats Utah State they don't go to the CCG.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UCF if they beat UConn and beat Cincinnati would have probably gotten the game if Fresno or SDSU wins the MWC.

I guess they still could if UConn beats Memphis.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
gets a fourth down stop and then just misses on a long pass... 30 secs left

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
complete pass to the 25 w/15 secs left -- looks like csu going down.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
middle of the field, 22 yd line, 3 secs left; here comes the kicker.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So the UConn game tomorrow actually matters.

If the Utah State/Boise winner loses to Fresno/SDSU. I'd guess the bid comes down to Marshall versus the AAC winner.

If UCF, Memphis and Cinci are all 7-1 who is champion? UCF didn't play either of them.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'd guess co-champs with highest ranked getting the best bowl...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'd guess co-champs with highest ranked getting the best bowl...

But the Sympathy Bowl I believe requires you to be a conference champion. So how do they pick a champion?

Reaction Score
But the Sympathy Bowl I believe requires you to be a conference champion. So how do they pick a champion?

2014 Regular Season Tiebreaker Procedure: For the 2014 season, the American Athletic Conference Football Champion will be the team that finishes the regular season with the highest winning percentage in conference games. If more than one team has the same winning percentage, the tied teams are declared co-champions. To determine the College Football Playoff/Host Bowl representative, the co-champion ranked highest by the College Football Playoff Committee will be eligible to receive the automatic bid shared with Conference USA, the Mid-American, Mountain West, and Sun Belt conferences.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
2014 Regular Season Tiebreaker Procedure: For the 2014 season, the American Athletic Conference Football Champion will be the team that finishes the regular season with the highest winning percentage in conference games. If more than one team has the same winning percentage, the tied teams are declared co-champions. To determine the College Football Playoff/Host Bowl representative, the co-champion ranked highest by the College Football Playoff Committee will be eligible to receive the automatic bid shared with Conference USA, the Mid-American, Mountain West, and Sun Belt conferences.

So the fun question is what happens if Boise/Utah State loses. There might not be a single G5 team ranked in the Top 25.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
God this is awful. Just don't give any G5 school a bid this year. None of them earned it. There should be a rule that you must have 1 loss or less or something. These options make the G5 look like a laughing stock. Marshall? Memphis? Hell, even Colorado St? It's just a joke this whole thing. Can't believe we're amongst this mess and pretty terrible to boot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The committee had no interest in Marshall when they were undefeated. Forget them with a loss.

So I think you've got:

1. Utah State/Boise if they win MWC
2. Memphis if they beat UConn and Fresno/SDSU wins MWC
3. If Memphis loses and Fresno/SDSU wins.. it's a cointoss between Cinci and UCF - either the AAC winner or whoever looks better the last game if they tie
4. Marshall if they win CUSA and everyone else loses
5. If all those teams lose Northern Illinois if they win the MAC
6. If everyone loses than East Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members