Sure gonna miss this kid... | The Boneyard

Sure gonna miss this kid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
The growth that he showed thru out his time here was truly remarkable!

Not only did he develop as a basketball player but also as a leader, he became a man right before our eyes!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Damn...copyright claim. Oh well, I think I'll spend my next half hour checking out Shabazz highlights on YouTube.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Him leaving truly hasn't sunk in yet.

Those who say we may be a more talented team next year are underestimating how much he meant to this team. His ability to control and dictate the game and hit deep 3s or contested shots at the biggest moments was remarkable. Also, as others have eluded to, he transformed himself into a fantastic leader and teammate and he will be a great ambassador of our program for years to come. I have no doubt that Bazz we be in the league for many years, even if he isn't starting.

What more could you want from a player? Bazz had it all and he consistently brought it. Gonna miss him tremendously.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Remember when we used to say " we'll never replace Kemba", " There will never be another Kemba". The prosperity of our program is unbelievable right now.
Thanks Shabazz!!!! Stay hungry my friend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I remember being at First Night when Bazz was a frosh and he took so many sporadic shots that my dad and I called him "ShaSpaz"..little did we know he would become one of the best Huskies ever. Thank you for the memories, Mr. Napier!

Reaction Score
Love the Bazz. You're right he grew up right before our eyes. He was bigger part of winning in 2011 then some remember. Wish him all the best going forward and will miss him being out there.

Reaction Score
How he spun the ball in at 5:05, I'll never know. Getting the right English on it at full extension? Wow.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Him leaving truly hasn't sunk in yet.

Those who say we may be a more talented team next year are underestimating how much he meant to this team. .

People said the same thing when Kemba left, and you saw the results. The difference though, is if Boatright comes back, we have an experienced senior leader at the point. A stud in his own right.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How he spun the ball in at 5:05, I'll never know. Getting the right English on it at full extension? Wow.

The dish that starts at 3:45 got me.

I read the comments first and knew exactly what play you were talking about without even seeing it.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know whom he was speaking to, at the end of the Kentucky game, when looked to the sidelines, flicked the UConn on his jersey and shouted, "I TOLD YOU! I TOLD YOU!"

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Does anyone know whom he was speaking to, at the end of the Kentucky game, when looked to the sidelines, flicked the UConn on his jersey and shouted, "I TOLD YOU! I TOLD YOU!"

I thought he was talking to our crowd. Because he previously told them he'd bring back the trophy. Could be wrong.

It would have been great if he was talking to Emmert!

Reaction Score
The one common thread between 2011 and 2014 was each team had an unquestioned leader. The way Kemba,and Bazz were looked too by their respective teams might be the key to winning. Of course you have to earn that respect.

Reaction Score
Bazz was phenomenal his last two seasons. Definitely one of the best Huskies of all time. I saw him play in the Pro Am before his freshman season and he looked overwhelmed against older, stronger, more experienced players. He has developed so much over his 4 years at UConn. Whether it was hitting a big shot or simply willing the team to victory, he always got it done. I will really miss seeing both Bazz and Niels on the floor next season.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Bazz was phenomenal his last two seasons. Definitely one of the best Huskies of all time. I saw him play in the Pro Am before his freshman season and he looked overwhelmed against older, stronger, more experienced players. He has developed so much over his 4 years at UConn. Whether it was hitting a big shot or simply willing the team to victory, he always got it done. I will really miss seeing both Bazz and Niels on the floor next season.

If anyone thinks he can not play in the league - they are crazy
I remember that Pro-Am summer and while he had glimpses of good, he is now a MAN

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
[quote="I have no doubt that Bazz we be in the league for many years, even if he isn't starting.[/quote]
Agree. Watching the playoffs today and seeing players like DJ Augustin, Luke Ridnour and Paddy Mills playing major minutes makes you realize just how valuable Bazz could be to a contending team.
Even comparing him to Kemba, Bazz will never have his explosive speed but he is already a far superior shooter and better play maker.

Add Mo Williams to that list from the night cap game. He made at least one All-Star Game but IMHO has never had as much game as Bazz and is now on the down slope of his career.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Remember when we used to say " we'll never replace Kemba"

Or, "we'll never replace Jim Calhoun!" Greatness can be lurking in the wings. Recognizing potential and nurturing it is the trick.

Reaction Score
Remember when we used to say " we'll never replace Kemba", " There will never be another Kemba". The prosperity of our program is unbelievable right now.
Thanks Shabazz!!!! Stay hungry my friend.

To be fair, he couldn't have replaced the legend that is Kemba without his right hand man Boatright. My buddies and I have been saying Shabazz+Boatright=Kemba for a few months now, and when the season was all done, it seemed pretty accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom