Sunday 3PM Rutgers vs Lady Vols ESPN2 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Sunday 3PM Rutgers vs Lady Vols ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yes, I to wasted the better part of the afternoon, having hoped for an up-tempo scoring contest. My greatest disappointment was for WCBB itself. Two supposedly elite clubs displaying a brick laying, schoolyard brand of ball. WCBB won no new friends of that ugly display.

Reaction Score
The teams were a combined 38 of 130 from the floor (2 of 15 from 3 pt) for a sparkling 29%.
A total of 17 assists combined.

I was using Sagarin's "rating" figure - The overall RATING is a synthesis of the three different methods, with more total weight to the two completely SCORE-BASED methods and thus should be a good predictor in its own right.
Rutgers #23 rating =87.72
Tennessee #24 rating = 87.47
4 points for the home court advantage

23 Rutgers = 87.72 8 1 67.41( 226) 0 1 | 1 1 | 85.15 31 | 87.76 22 | 89.61 16
24 Tennessee = 87.47 6 2 64.65( 281) 0 1 | 0 1 | 96.82 4 | 98.01 5 | 77.70 77

Of the other three methods, you were evidently using either the first or second method, the third method has Rutgers winning.
Does that clear things up ?

Actually, I was going by the 'Predictor', which has proven to be very accurate over the years for 'predicting'...much more so than the overall rating. Does that clear thing up?

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
After watching this team for about all ten games, I know how the team played yesterday wasn't how we've normally plays. I have to give Tennessee credit because they really didn't let us get out and run a lot, which is what we really like doing. But that doesn't change the fact that we missed shots we'd normally make, gave up rebounding in the second half, and took stupid shots in the final minutes. However, I still look at it like it's still early, and we're still going to get better.

So, for those of you who's this was the first you've seen of Rutgers this year, I agree we played awful yesterday. However, how we want to play, and how we have been playing is much closer to how we played in the UNC game.

Also, I pray that Betnijah Laney's hand will be alright, she injured it on the first play of the game, and I don't know why she was out there. Although it explains how she played.

Looking ahead to the start of B1G play, and I still believe we'll challenge, and we've got a great shot at winning the B1G.

Reaction Score
Actually, I was going by the 'Predictor', which has proven to be very accurate over the years for 'predicting'...much more so than the overall rating. Does that clear thing up?

So if your familiar with Sagarin you couldn't figure out that I was using one of the other methods on the website ?
I'm curious, do you have the statistical analysis verifying your quote " I was going by the 'Predictor', which has proven to be very accurate over the years for 'predicting'...much more so than the overall rating." ? I would like to see it. If accurate I would change which method I refer to in the future.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It was a good win. Even though some shots didn't fall. It was still a good effort. Burdick had her GMA Summer folks there.

Reaction Score
Regarding Tn's defense, in the post game presser, Holly said she wanted her team to play man to man in the 2nd half. However the players decided they would play zone. Holly didn't try to stop them. Her logic, they are the ones who have to do the playing. I was astounded at this admission. So if you liked the D, the credit goes to the players, not the coach.

She actually said that? Holy cow. No wonder the team has been a complete shambles the past two years, the players know they can do what they want on the floor & the coach won't rein them in.

I'm stunned by this. :eek:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I don't get it. This is the 2nd or 3rd season where we've seen/heard things from HW like this - "I will take the fault of us shooting poorly because we haven't spent a lot of time shooting the basketball," Warlick said. "We have spent more time with this group stopping the basketball. That has been our priority. These kids when you recruit them they are great offensive players, so we have it in us, but it's up to us, the coaches, to turn them into great defensive players."

It's now end of 1st semester. Most teams have approx. 10 games under their belts. If you haven't worked much on office at this point, when do you start?

Reaction Score
Is there a way to nominate this for "post of the day?" Any post that references "Buffalo Stance" and can have it flow (tangentially) is simply awesome!!!

I knew there was at least one other Yarder out there under age 60.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Beemer- - - -Why do you think DD chose TN when she transferred from NoCar? Same deal she got at NoCar, the coaches will not bother her BB play!
It's her dream school.

Reaction Score
Regarding Tn's defense, in the post game presser, Holly said she wanted her team to play man to man in the 2nd half. However the players decided they would play zone. Holly didn't try to stop them. Her logic, they are the ones who have to do the playing. I was astounded at this admission. So if you liked the D, the credit goes to the players, not the coach.
I went and listened to that part:

Interviewer: “Talk about the zone, how big it was for you down the stretch, and your thinking behind going to it. I think the last 7 minutes that’s pretty much all you played.”

Holly: “Well we needed it. We needed it – Scaife got off a little bit. We needed to slow them up and try to get somebody else to take shots. And so we used a 2-3 zone, 3-2 zone… Look, I love man-to-man. I’m a man-to-man defensive pressure coach. But I also want to win a basketball game, so if we need to run zone, we’re going to run zone. And that’s what we did. I thought it was… They moved out of it, and had a lot of confidence in it. At the end of the game I was calling man-to-man switching and they called 3, so… They’re on the floor so their opinion prevailed over mine at the very end.

Interviewer: “So they called the zone even when you ______?

Holly: (Laughing) “Yeah. It worked, I’ll take it.”

To me it didn't sound quite as bad as "inmates running the asylum." Maybe like they have an understanding that the players on the floor have certain latitude to react as the game on the floor calls for in crunch time. ?? Not sure I agree with that coaching philosophy (if that's what it is), but in any case it didn't sound to me like the players were just blatantly defying her.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I went and listened to that part:

Interviewer: “Talk about the zone, how big it was for you down the stretch, and your thinking behind going to it. I think the last 7 minutes that’s pretty much all you played.”

Holly: “Well we needed it. We needed it – Scaife got off a little bit. We needed to slow them up and try to get somebody else to take shots. And so we used a 2-3 zone, 3-2 zone… Look, I love man-to-man. I’m a man-to-man defensive pressure coach. But I also want to win a basketball game, so if we need to run zone, we’re going to run zone. And that’s what we did. I thought it was… They moved out of it, and had a lot of confidence in it. At the end of the game I was calling man-to-man switching and they called 3, so… They’re on the floor so their opinion prevailed over mine at the very end.

Interviewer: “So they called the zone even when you ______?

Holly: (Laughing) “Yeah. It worked, I’ll take it.”

To me it didn't sound quite as bad as "inmates running the asylum." Maybe like they have an understanding that the players on the floor have certain latitude to react as the game on the floor calls for in crunch time. ?? Not sure I agree with that coaching philosophy (if that's what it is), but in any case it didn't sound to me like the players were just blatantly defying her.
I agree. Far be it for me to defend anything Tennessee related, but how many times has Geno just sat back when the team was struggling and let them figure it out? Sounds like something similar - the players felt the zone would work and that's what they went with. I would think the coach would be proud they figured it out on their own...

Now I need to take a shower... I feel dirty!!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
On the other hand Eric:

What would happen if Geno called zone and the players switched to man? :)
Even if they won the game?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I see it just like allowing a quarterback to change a play at the line of scrimmage. I really can't find fault with Holly on that.

Reaction Score
I still do not see Holly as doing a great job of coaching and working a defined scheme overall..... it was a gritty performance by the players though, and they deserve credit for that......

Reaction Score
There is nothing wrong with her comments. Any coach would want their players invested in the game and would value their input since they are on the floor. Just because Holly says something doesn't make it controversial. The coaches and players pulled out a great, albeit ugly, win. The biggest plus for me is Izzy's play in the 2nd half. She was wearing a huge brace and still dominated everyone on the boards and in the paint. TN will go as far as she takes them this year. They are just a different team with Izzy in the line up.

Reaction Score
It's good to see Izzy back in the lineup. It takes something away from the game when a significant player is out or not at full strength. I'm sure Tennessee would rather have faced Rutgers with a healthy Betnijah Laney.

Reaction Score
Correct Lady Vols play better with Izzy in lineup, and she played well...... good job

Reaction Score
After watching this team for about all ten games, I know how the team played yesterday wasn't how we've normally plays. I have to give Tennessee credit because they really didn't let us get out and run a lot, which is what we really like doing. But that doesn't change the fact that we missed shots we'd normally make, gave up rebounding in the second half, and took stupid shots in the final minutes. However, I still look at it like it's still early, and we're still going to get better.

So, for those of you who's this was the first you've seen of Rutgers this year, I agree we played awful yesterday. However, how we want to play, and how we have been playing is much closer to how we played in the UNC game.

Also, I pray that Betnijah Laney's hand will be alright, she injured it on the first play of the game, and I don't know why she was out there. Although it explains how she played.

Looking ahead to the start of B1G play, and I still believe we'll challenge, and we've got a great shot at winning the B1G.
Canty was 1 for 10 at one point. That didn't help them. Laney was in pain the whole game- she couldn't even tie her shoe. I would've taken her out.

Tenn. looked OK. Both teams were cold. Carter's a very attractive gal!

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Canty was 1 for 10 at one point. That didn't help them. Laney was in pain the whole game- she couldn't even tie her shoe. I would've taken her out.

Tenn. looked OK. Both teams were cold. Carter's a very attractive gal!

Canty & Copper shot 6-27 between the two of them, very unlike them. CVS said in the post game presser that she battled with the idea of taking her out, and that she didn't know how much pain Laney was in until Laney told her after the game.

So hopefully it's not anything serious, we need her healthy. She's our leader.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is a good thing there is a TN/Rutgers discussion going on because this place is dead. Is anyone still alive?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Icebear said:
It is a good thing there is a TN/Rutgers discussion going on because this place is dead. Is anyone still alive?

still breathing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul