Sun Make it 5 in a Row | The Boneyard

Sun Make it 5 in a Row

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
In another horribly officiated game, The Sun lay a beating on the Fever.

Like the Mercury a few games back, the Fever got into it with the refs and racked up 3 T's , one on Coach Dunn and 2 consecutive T's on Zellous. At one point the Fever were at 26 fouls versus the Sun's 6.

Its great that basketball at the Sun is fun again after we endured last years disaster and the shock of Tina's draft night exit. You can see it in the players, in the fans, and even in Coach D. Hard to say if this will be sustained, or where they end up, because the league seems so different now; but I'm going to appreciate every win.

Sunrise in Uncasville is a beautiful thing. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, the women do play rough so they have to call a lot of fouls. lol

Looks like the Sun are shaping up into at least a playoff team.

Reaction Score
What I see on the WNBA site, Boxscore, is just a highlight and not full boxscore. Is there another link to see how long Rene and Kelly played/scored?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This link from ESPN has the full box score:

http://scores.espn.go.com/wnba/boxscore?gameId=400539524

Renee played 20 minutes and scored 9 points; Kelly played 12 minutes and scored 3 points. The Fever committed 27 fouls and attempted only 15 free throws; the Sun committed 18 fouls and attempted 34 free throws.

I was at the game, and (while I am usually tolerant of officials' judgment) it actually seemed to me like some of the calls against the Sun were amazing. A defender landed on Katy Douglas's back while she was going up for a putback, and no foul was called. On another occasion, a defender ran into her chest when she was dribbling and her arms swayed out from the contact (possibly she embellished it), and she was called for throwing elbows. Chiney got a couple of questionable fouls.

The Sun had only a 4-point lead at halftime after being behind for most of the first quarter. They had a big third quarter (outscoring Indiana by 34-12) to put the game away. Chiney scored all 18 of her points in the second half after being either ineffective or on the bench in the first half.

Reaction Score
Yeah, how about the foul they called on Douglas when the defender ran into her back as she was taking a pass from Montgomery and trying to dribble past her?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
What I see on the WNBA site, Boxscore, is just a highlight and not full boxscore. Is there another link to see how long Rene and Kelly played/scored?
navigate a little bit, it was all there

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Joe and Striper... all true but the Fever had many legit beefs also. I was at the game and also watched it on Live-Access... really bad job by the refs. At one point I looked up and the Sun had 26 FT attempts to Indy's 6. No wonder Coach Dunn blew a gasket.

I think the WNBA needs to institute more freedom-of-movement rules, and put up with the chaos for the first half season. In the NCAA I think it made the refs job easier, and made for a better flowing game. Unfortunately, this kind of rule change would not benefit the Sun, who seems to have settled into a very physical style with the two Kelseys, Alyssa, Alex and Chiney.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc