Sullinger | The Boneyard

Sullinger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I feel bad for him. He seems like a good dude. And the poster child for entering the draft early

Reaction Score
He was probably top 5 last year, minimum top 10. He cost himself a ton of money and a potential long-term career. Back injuries are very tricky and for him to have major issues is a huge red flag.

Reaction Score
I feel bad for him. He seems like a good dude. And the poster child for entering the draft early
He should have entered the draft EARLIER. He was a top 5 pick AT WORST last year, and now is going to be in the 20s. Dude cost himself millions by staying.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He should have entered the draft EARLIER. He was a top 5 pick AT WORST last year, and now is going to be in the 20s. Dude cost himself millions by staying.

Staying at school didn't cost him, staying at 260lbs+ cost him.

He is a below the rim type player and traditionally they haven't excelled at the NBA. See Tyler Hansborough. Sully will be smart to find a nitch like Dejuan Blair of the Spurs. Hustle, hustle, hustle, rebound and get garbage hoops. Blair is going to stay in the NBA for a decade because he brings consistent effort and results.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure he would have been a top-5 pick last year. Yeah, the back issues have him sliding, but teams just aren't that interested in "unathletic" 6'8" power forwards. I think his stock would have plummeted last year after measurements, testing, etc.

I like Sullinger. Someone will get a steal, IMO. He can score. Nice moves and touch. Nice form on his jumper. Good BBIQ. David West-like.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure he would have been a top-5 pick last year. Yeah, the back issues have him sliding, but teams just aren't that interested in "unathletic" 6'8" power forwards. I think his stock would have plummeted last year after measurements, testing, etc.

I like Sullinger. Someone will get a steal, IMO. He can score. Nice moves and touch. Nice form on his jumper. Good BBIQ. David West-like.
I like Sullinger a lot as well. He also lost a lot of fat from last year. However, back issues this early is a really really bad sign. Take a look at the draft last year, he was a high draft pick and without the back issues, he would easily be top 10 this year even if he's undersized and not the fleetest of foot.

Reaction Score

He is a below the rim type player and traditionally they haven't excelled at the NBA. See Tyler Hansborough. Sully will be smart to find a nitch like Dejuan Blair of the Spurs. Hustle, hustle, hustle, rebound and get garbage hoops. Blair is going to stay in the NBA for a decade because he brings consistent effort and results.

I think you're arguing something completely different. Look at any article from 2011, Sullinger was projected as a top 5 before saying he was coming back. He stayed, either because of the looming lockout or because he really liked college. He is now rumored to be injured and has fallen out of the lottery.
He was a better professional prospect than Hansborough or Dejuan Blaire ever were.
Maybe I'm misreading what your point is, or maybe we just don't agree on whether or not he should have left last year.

Reaction Score
Sullinger was close to a unanimous top 5 pick last year, and backed that up by leading his team to the Final Four this year. So if Sullinger is picked in the 20's this year Drummond would not have been selected at all next year lol

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think you're arguing something completely different. Look at any article from 2011, Sullinger was projected as a top 5 before saying he was coming back. He stayed, either because of the looming lockout or because he really liked college. He is now rumored to be injured and has fallen out of the lottery.
He was a better professional prospect than Hansborough or Dejuan Blaire ever were.
Maybe I'm misreading what your point is, or maybe we just don't agree on whether or not he should have left last year.

Since he didn't declare, everything is speculation regarding where he would have been picked. There isn't any way to prove or disprove an event that didn't happen.

As for him being a better pro prospect than Hansborough that's your opinion. Mine is different.

My reference to Blair is that he has figured out a way to carve a niche in the NBA and he's going to play in the league and get nice paychecks for another decade. Sullinger's college game won't work in the NBA so he has to find something that works. Being really good at any one area in the NBA usually keeps you in the league longer than being good at a bunch of different areas. It's working for Blair and it worked for Steve Kerr types. Find an area at which you can excel, be consistent and you can stay in the league for a long time as a role player.

Reaction Score

I see him in between Big Baby and David West.
This is sad news. Hopefully, he uses it to motivate himself and prove everyone wrong.

Reaction Score

couldnt agree more. if he got his weight down around 250 instead of closer to 270 things could be alot different for him. i hope he has a nice career seems like a good kid.

Reaction Score
Someone will get a real nice bastketball player.....maybe not the greatest of athletes bur I wished our athletes had his bball IQ and motor last year.......maybe not a star as he is undersized but will find his place and carve out a nice career barring injuries.....

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I see him in between Big Baby and David West.
This is sad news. Hopefully, he uses it to motivate himself and prove everyone wrong.

Agreed. He should actually be better than Glen Davis. The NBA routinely devalues court savvy and good positioning. He can score, defend the post and rebound. Should be productive but never a star.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
It's so bad for him because so many good big guys stayed another year with him (Terrence Jones, Thomas Robinson, etc.) and apparently ended up showing more promise than he did this year, then add in all the freshmen that are not staying like AD and Davis. And that's just talking about big guys.

Reaction Score
Projecting Sullinger into some utopian world of no NBA measurements and physicals (what truly has him sliding this year) and maintaining the top-5 draft projection of last year is TOTAL GUESSWORK. Could be right, but we just don't know. Equally to pronounce this a colossal mistake pre-draft AND BEFORE HIS NBA CAREER is even worse conjecture and disregards what Sullinger actually does in the NBA (in either scenario). Also do ya'll remember there was a strike likely/going on at this time last year?! Sullinger can be a productive NBA forward and I don't think the book on him has changed much, just that there are more & better frontcourt players in this year's draft. Either way I still find it astonishing that its so important to some people if he has career earnings of $9MM after 3 years (last yrs 5th pick) or $4.7MM. What is the difference to fans?

Would love to see him fall to Celtics, I bet he somehow ends up on the Spurs even though they don't have a 1st round pick.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
All Sullinger did by returning was remind NBA scouts that he is not that athletic, is undersized, and needs to play at a high weight because his whole game depends on physically overpowering opponents. Last year was a thin draft and Sullinger would have been a top 10 pick. He made a huge mistake by returning.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Skip Bayless just said on ESPN that he thought for sure Sullinger was a lock as a top-5 pick last year and maybe the best player available.

So, all of you jack wagons saying he was a sure-fire top 5 pick last year have two choices-

1. Admit you are wrong
2. Admit you think like and agree with Skip Bayless

Reaction Score
Last years draft was REALLY bad though, and this years is REALLY good. Kind of amazing the difference actually.

Reaction Score
How about comparing Sullinger's decision to Ben Gordon's decision to sign with Detroit which is universally viewed as a terrible career turn for Gordon. Gordon got a huge contract! Doesn't that make signing with Detroit, sucking, being used inappropriately and losing worthwhile?! No it doesn't? You mean as fans we'd rather have Ben Gordon still on the Bulls and being paid less money? Is that why RIP tried to revive his career in Chicago, maybe he was actually thinking about basketball reasons and not accumulating dollars so that he could have 30 luxury cars instead of 15? So then STF up until we see what happens with Sullinger and his career before proclaiming his 100% theoretical loss of contract $ a huge mistake.

Again exactly WHY is it a big deal to fans if Sullinger makes 1.6M vs 3 - what specifically is the difference?

Reaction Score
Projecting Sullinger into some utopian world of no NBA measurements and physicals (what truly has him sliding this year) and maintaining the top-5 draft projection of last year is TOTAL GUESSWORK. Could be right, but we just don't know. Equally to pronounce this a colossal mistake pre-draft AND BEFORE HIS NBA CAREER is even worse conjecture and disregards what Sullinger actually does in the NBA (in either scenario). Also do ya'll remember there was a strike likely/going on at this time last year?! Sullinger can be a productive NBA forward and I don't think the book on him has changed much, just that there are more & better frontcourt players in this year's draft. Either way I still find it astonishing that its so important to some people if he has career earnings of $9MM after 3 years (last yrs 5th pick) or $4.7MM. What is the difference to fans?

Would love to see him fall to Celtics, I bet he somehow ends up on the Spurs even though they don't have a 1st round pick.

4,3 Million is a lot of money, you don't think that matters to Sullinger?

Reaction Score
4,3 Million is a lot of money, you don't think that matters to Sullinger?
It matters to Sullinger and only Sullinger, I don't see why I should care. People applaud when an NBA guy takes less money to play with a contender or resign with his current team for less yet consensus is it is a mistake if a guy potentially leaves any $ on the table by not declaring for the draft. Why the different criteria?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom