Strategy for OSU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Strategy for OSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Last year, the attitude seemed different. When the team went to Calif., Geno announced that he was going to Napa for the weekend. I think he was frustrated that the players were not listening to the coaches. Certainly, we learned that after the fact. It was even alluded to after cutting down the nets in Tampa. I have heard nothing to that effect this year. I don't think Moriah, Stewie, or Morgan would allow it. I am hoping that they start the year in "Wrath of God" mode, my friend. ;)
. I remember after the Green Bay game last year, Geno said he liked the team he had heading to South Bend. Of course, Morgan Tuck emerged, and Uconn routed Notre Dame. I bet Geno likes his team already! From what I saw in both exhibition games, one of which I saw in person, Mo and Stewie are freaking ready. Morgan, Gabby, and Kia too. Of course, what we get this early in the season from Napheesea and KLS remains to be seen, but I'm optimistic.

Reaction Score
I suspect Gabby would foul out.
Great! Let her foul out. Just hold Mitchell to 14 points and we win by __(fill in the blank) _ .

This is a statement game for somebody. If OSU plays us close, then it's a statement game for them. If we blow them out by 30, it's a statement game for us - like, "OMG, are you KIDDING me???"

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How the hand check rule is enforced will be critical. I suspect that fact does not favor Gabby being on Mitchell.

Reaction Score
Jefferson on Mitchell, straight up.

Nurse on Alston, straight up.

UConn by 30.

(Based on Friday night's game. But like McGuff said in postgame, if OSU get better in practice on Sat and Sun based on their performance against SC, then could be a little closer (15-20)).

Reaction Score
The good news for OSU is that its guards scored almost 60 of its 80 points. The bad news is that the Buckeyes lost anyway. From this scant sample, I conclude that it really doesn't matter what OSU's guards do because a good, balanced offense can outscore them. And who has that "good, balanced offense"? WE DO. It's hard to believe that K. Mitchell and Alston will get 59 on Monday against perhaps the best team defense in the country, but there's no need to worry unnecessarily about the Buckeye guards. For the game the losers had a total (!) of 3 assists. Given the shortcomings of SC (same as last year): not much team speed; erratic guard play; unable to shoot frees; UConn should score as many or more than 88 points and hold OSU to 60 or fewer. While the gods of bb may intercede, this looks like a blow-out to me. Huskies by 30 . . .

Reaction Score
Jefferson on Mitchell, straight up.

Nurse on Alston, straight up.

UConn by 30.

(Based on Friday night's game. But like McGuff said in postgame, if OSU get better in practice on Sat and Sun based on their performance against SC, then could be a little closer (15-20)).

"Get better"? OSU's guards took almost half the team's 80 shots. Those are volume shooters. To "get better," the Buckeyes would have to get some other scoring. Maybe OSU should practice w/out K. Mitchell and Alston to see if anyone else can shoot. If everything depends on a couple of players, no matter how good, that team won't beat really, really good teams.

Reaction Score
"Get better"? OSU's guards took almost half the team's 80 shots. Those are volume shooters. To "get better," the Buckeyes would have to get some other scoring. Maybe OSU should practice w/out K. Mitchell and Alston to see if anyone else can shoot. If everything depends on a couple of players, no matter how good, that team won't beat really, really good teams.

If they get McCoy that may not be a problem next year!

Reaction Score
The good news for OSU is that its guards scored almost 60 of its 80 points. The bad news is that the Buckeyes lost anyway. From this scant sample, I conclude that it really doesn't matter what OSU's guards do because a good, balanced offense can outscore them. And who has that "good, balanced offense"? WE DO. It's hard to believe that K. Mitchell and Alston will get 59 on Monday against perhaps the best team defense in the country, but there's no need to worry unnecessarily about the Buckeye guards. For the game the losers had a total (!) of 3 assists. Given the shortcomings of SC (same as last year): not much team speed; erratic guard play; unable to shoot frees; UConn should score as many or more than 88 points and hold OSU to 60 or fewer. While the gods of bb may intercede, this looks like a blow-out to me. Huskies by 30 . . .

Is your alias TONYc?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
What did you think of the SC performance? Do you think they should have won by more? Do you think it's just getting some rust off? You have to like that they put the game away when they needed to?

I think the Gamecocks should have won by more. Dawn obviously knows her team a little better than I do, but I would have gone for the jugular in the first quarter when we had the big lead instead of resting the starters for 4 or 5 minutes late in the quarter. I do know that several players are coming off recent injuries so it's possible they aren't yet in top condition. Even if you're 20 years old, missing a week or two of practice/running, etc. due to a foot or ankle injury will impact your physical condition.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
When a team has a top shooting player (K.Mitchell) Geno occasionally will allow her to shoot her arms off and work to contain the other 4--it usually works. Ever see a Women player get 90 points in a game??
I like the thought of putting Gabby on Mitchell--let us see how she does. I think everyone will be surprised!!
Unstoppable?? Do what teams do to Stewie (DT, Maya, Etc) bump her push her rough her up--it takes them out of their rhythm and it works.

I think that would be a good strategy if she is hitting 50% or less of her shots. If she's on a 70% tear that could be fatal.

Reaction Score
I think that would be a good strategy if she is hitting 50% or less of her shots. If she's on a 70% tear that could be fatal.
I agree!! Assuming that Mitchell hits 17 3's (51 points) can UConn stop the rest of OSU from shooting more than 50 percent?? I think there is a pretty good chance at that. But OSU, AT HOME, revved up over the good showing (albeit a loss) at USC--it shall be an interesting game. Is this a great way to start the season??? Aliston(?sp) is no slouch in shooting. I wonder how the "nerves" factor shall impact Uconn--big game, new combination, minimal bench (assuming only 8 are suited up) . It appears the USC on the front of SC jerseys only impacted OSU for 10 minutes.

Reaction Score

Get better as a team defensively, particularly in the post. As well as having Cooper and Hart play better offensively.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I suspect Gabby would foul out.
Right! lol Let's not get crazy here. I like Gabby but Mitchell will cross her over and head to the basket where she would likely run in to our second line of defense but Gabby isn't quite ready for the likes of Mitchell; at least not to start. Let's stick to what we know and let the more experienced defender handle her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom