Stop bashing.. | The Boneyard

Stop bashing..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We are not great this year. We can debate why we aren't great without naming names. I am guilty as the rest. These kids read these sites and we need to have their back. This goes along with conference. We know it's not ideal. The rest of the country does not bash American. The only real negative press is what we create. VCU is a great example of nothing to be proud of but thru force of positivity we now know who they are. We need to change our attitudes and talking points.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Bashing: Expressing dissatisfaction with poor results though clearly possessing the talent and skill to better.
White Knighting: Complaining about said bashing because accountability is a foreign concept and everyone gets a trophy.
Indifference: Finding alternative entertainment options because results are predictably frustrating.

Which is the worst?

Reaction Score
There are some but I haven't seen many here bashing players, and most of those guys are just trolling anyway. Tweeting negative stuff at players is for losers, but that's not what you're talking. This is a message board about UConn basketball, and a forum for fans to express their thoughts on the team. Whether we are good or bad I don't see how we can have conversations about the team without discussing specific players. Smoke signals?

In terms of players reading messages boards..well they shouldn't. I would also bet good money that the elite players don't do it.

Reaction Score
We are not great this year. We can debate why we aren't great without naming names. I am guilty as the rest. These kids read these sites and we need to have their back. This goes along with conference. We know it's not ideal. The rest of the country does not bash American. The only real negative press is what we create. VCU is a great example of nothing to be proud of but thru force of positivity we now know who they are. We need to change our attitudes and talking points.

Do the board a favor and see you physician about bipolar meds.

You literally called this team the worst Uconn squad EVER three days ago.

Reaction Score
You make Chief look sane, get a grip and revisit ALL of your posts Syracusemom

Reaction Score
Maybe these kids should be practicing their shots instead of reading these sites.Not great this year? Who on earth is gonna be handling the ball next year ?? :(

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
At least the "bashers" are watching/going to the games, buying the merch, posting on here. Look at all the fair weather people who don't even bother to do any of the above any more.

Reaction Score

Well, you may be right about that, but it's only because the rest of the country either doesn't care about it or doesn't even know that it exists. As for kids reading these sites, so what if they do? In the year 2015 every kid that signs on to play ball somewhere knows what they are getting into. The climate is different than in "the good old days". Hell, many of these kids helped create this climate by embracing social media, etc.

Reaction Score
America HATES UConn... don't tell me that every time UConn goes for an offensive drive to the hole it's an offensive foul. Why isn't UConn challenging every pass. That's why Houston has no turnovers. Houston all in our shirt an nothings called.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
" The rest of the country does not bash American. The only real negative press is what we create"

Are you kidding me? Every coach in the ACC, BIG10, SEC and probably even the new BiG East who are after the same recruits as KO are asking them - "Where would rather be playing, in a palace or in a sand box?"
This league is a recruiting nightmare for the coach looking to grab an elite talent.
If, God help us, a P5 takes Cinci and/or Memphis instead of UConn, oblivion is at the Storrs doorstep.

Reaction Score
Completely agree with the OP. Bashing the players is a common theme on this board, but says a lot more about the quality of the fan than the players. However, questioning the ability of the coaching this year is another issue entirely. A team that gets visibly worse as the season progresses is something that the coaching staff has to answer for and hopefully address.

Reaction Score
Well it is a free country. No one is forcing you to be UConn fans. If there are folks that are so disappointed in the team or KO then just move on and find someone else to root for. I am sure Central Connecticut or Fairfield will welcome you with open arms. Just bitching and offering criticism without recommending suggestions is lazy and not what fan does. Just remember the title from last year and how fortunate we are. There will be better seasons. Sometimes this is how it goes. The true UConn fans know this.

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
Completely agree with the OP.
Bashing the players is a common theme on this board, but says a lot more about the quality of the fan than the players. However, questioning the ability of the coaching this year is another issue entirely. A team that gets visibly worse as the season progresses is something that the coaching staff has to answer for and hopefully address.

Seems to me that a player who signs with an elite program should know what that entails- unless he's been living under a rock. They read (hopefully) and so are familiar with public criticism. Most dream of a professional future. When a student-athlete drops 35 or grabs 17 boards, he expects to be rewarded with public acclaim, and he is. So when the same student-athlete turns it over 8 times - a big Shhhhh? The world doesn't work like that and better they learn it immediately. After all, there are 20 year olds in Iraq leading platoon and they'd much prefer public criticism than income rockets. .

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I dont really think many people on this board are bashing the players themselves, per se. That would be foolish and unfair, these guys signed up to play COLLEGE basketball, they are not professional athletes and are just 18-20 year old kids who want to play their best and represent their university. Unfairly criticizing these players who arent being paid to be here is not fair, but that doesnt mean people cant point out if a player needs to work on his handles or ball security. I personally think that blame CAN and SHOULD be put on the staff though, who desperately need to bring in good players for the upcoming seasons. Unlike the players, these guys ARE professionals and ARE being paid to perform their jobs, one of which includes recruiting future generations of Huskies, which is one area they are and have been lacking for a few years now. That indeed does deserve some level of criticism.

People on this board need to stop being such pride/justice warriors sometimes, its a discussion board for discussion of UConn basketball. If theres no discussion of criticisms then what would we talk about here?

Reaction Score
Bashing: Expressing dissatisfaction with poor results though clearly possessing the talent and skill to better.
White Knighting: Complaining about said bashing because accountability is a foreign concept and everyone gets a trophy.
Indifference: Finding alternative entertainment options because results are predictably frustrating.

Which is the worst?

Perhaps blaming Johnny Selvie for this mess.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is there no middle ground here? Yes these are college kids, so people should temper their remarks and be respectful. On the other hand, they are young celebrities of a sort and signed on for that role, as a result, public scrutiny (on and off court) comes with that. UConn needs to help them understand that, but nobody gets a free pass because they "tried hard". This isn't 3rd grade basketball. If the 6th grade girls team I coach can accept criticism of their mistakes, then certainly 18-22 year old men who play on TV and in front of large crowds can.

What I don't like is "he sucks", "he's useless" and other pointless personal remarks. Criticism of decision making, effort, skills...that is fair game.

Reaction Score
we all expected a lot coming off a NC.
what we are getting is Nothing.
It pisses me off and others.
i don't like losing to yale and houston types.
NOT ACCEPTABLE..
as far as i am concerned.

Reaction Score
we all expected a lot coming off a NC.
what we are getting is Nothing.
NOT ACCEPTABLE..
This. If we were getting effort and getting better every game I'd be happy. We're getting worse, with a coach who many think can do no wrong.

Reaction Score
i look forward to watching the uconn men. ( all of us here do )
it's usually great fun and entertaining.
this year, not so much.
maybe we have been spoiled but
when you win as much as the uconn men have done.
it's hard to watch this kind of season and just accept it.
hopefully they turn it around next year.
can't be any worse than this year

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
NOT ACCEPTABLE..

Not sure how you NOT ACCEPT it. Can you trade it in for another season? Switch teams?
Maybe you would benefit from a little patience in the face of disappointment. Otherwise you could sound like a large spoiled Dick.

Reaction Score
Not sure how you NOT ACCEPT it. Can you trade it in for another season? Switch teams?
Maybe you would benefit from a little patience in the face of disappointment. Otherwise you could sound like a large spoiled Dick.

if Uconn played like this every year
most of us wouldn't care or bother to watch the games.
What i see from this year's team is hard to understand.
I knew they would have growing pains but damn.
I'm actually looking forward to watching the Women play SC
and don't know or care who the men play next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom