Stokes’ journey at UConn coming to an end | The Boneyard

Stokes’ journey at UConn coming to an end

Status
Not open for further replies.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
LINK

Geno: “I would venture to say that Kiah’s biggest strengths are the things she brings off the court." Ouch.

On the plus side, he said "I never expected her to have the defensive presence she’s had here,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “I don’t want to say it came out of nowhere but it’s been way more than I thought she was capable of." Ok

Believe me, it is a good story and encapsulates why she is one of my favorite players. She almost didn't come to UConn because of a cancelled flight/

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kiah is absolutely right about "fighting through it." It hasn't been easy or pleasant at times, but she's better off for it.

It's interesting that Kiah has become a better defensive player than Geno expected. I'm sure he's frustrated about her lack of aggressiveness on the offensive end, but he notes that she's a great kid, which seems to be a unanimous viewpoint.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno: “I would venture to say that Kiah’s biggest strengths are the things she brings off the court." Ouch.
Why Ouch? I know Geno can be bitingly sarcastic but isn’t that the ultimate compliment if the order is student then athlete?

Reaction Score
Why Ouch? I know Geno can be bitingly sarcastic but isn’t that the ultimate compliment if the order is student then athlete?

Exactly! Why selectively pull that one sentence out of context, post it here, and then spin it as Geno speaking disparagingly of his Senior? Here's the full quote which makes it very clear that Geno was complimenting Kiah:

“I would venture to say that Kiah’s biggest strengths are the things she brings off the court. Some kids have no presence off the court. Their contribution is only what’s on the floor. What she contributes in all the other areas, she has a tremendous impact on her teammates. There’s a lot to be said for a kid that does that.”

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Not if she wants to play professionally. But awesome if she want to go pro in something other than sports.

Reaction Score
Not if she wants to play professionally. But awesome if she want to go pro in something other than sports.
Isn't Kiah's mom a doctor? Perhaps one day you will be operated on by a Dr. Stokes that, while great in her handling of a scalpel, is even more lethal in the paint. Luckily she is cool as a cucumber under pressure. Something she picked up after four years of being yelled at by a little Italian man every day while playing defense and trying to make buckets.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Isn't Kiah's mom a doctor? Perhaps one day you will be operated on by a Dr. Stokes that, while great in her handling of a scalpel, is even more lethal in the paint. Luckily she is cool as a cucumber under pressure. Something she picked up after four years of being yelled at by a little Italian man every day while playing defense and trying to make buckets.

Ha ha. You may be right about the doctor part. Could compete for patients with EWill. Still needs to calm down on the court to maybe miss less of those bunnies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ha ha. You may be right about the doctor part. Could compete for patients with EWill. Still needs to calm down on the court to maybe miss less of those bunnies.
Just don't understand where you are coming from! This Young lady graduates with honors. Her coach compliments her. You twist that compliment into an insult and then complains about her missing "bunnies". Did Kiah dissapiont you in some way?

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Where I am coming from is that I don't that when talking about a basketball player, it is a compliment to say that their greatest contributions come off the court as it. To me, is a dig about their on-court performance. I don't question who she is or her character. Few people have been bigger cheerleaders of her than me. I've made highlight clips of her blocks, and you can see my avatar. I didn't like the off-court remark, even if it was well intentioned, which I suspect it was.

With respect to the bunnies remark. A poster referred to her being as cool as a cucumber. Which may be true most of the time though I would not ascribe that attribute to someone who has missed a bunch of layups from in close like she has. But you are right that she displays a lot of levelheadedness. Perhaps too much sometimes.

We agree she is a phenominal person, and I am so excited to see where she is going to get drafted. I hope it is a great fit. That said, I am not a kool aid kind of person.

Hope that clarifies where I am coming from. Have a nice day.

Reaction Score
Where I am coming from is that I don't that when talking about a basketball player, it is a compliment to say that their greatest contributions come off the court as it. To me, is a dig about their on-court performance. I don't question who she is or her character. Few people have been bigger cheerleaders of her than me. I've made highlight clips of her blocks, and you can see my avatar. I didn't like the off-court remark, even if it was well intentioned, which I suspect it was.

With respect to the bunnies remark. A poster referred to her being as cool as a cucumber. Which may be true most of the time though I would not ascribe that attribute to someone who has missed a bunch of layups from in close like she has. But you are right that she displays a lot of levelheadedness. Perhaps too much sometimes.

We agree she is a phenominal person, and I am so excited to see where she is going to get drafted. I hope it is a great fit. That said, I am not a kool aid kind of person.

But they all miss bunnies: Stewie, Mo, Tuck, etc. It happens.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

It does help clarify that 1) you think Kiah is a "phenominal person" 2) you think a compliment about a person's off court accomplishment is a dig about their basketball talent 3) you don't drink kool aid and 4) you wish that I have a nice day.
I'd like to clarify 1) I agree that Kiah is a phenominal person, 2) sometimes a compliment about a person's off court accomplishment is just that nothing more 3) not sure why you don't drink Kool aid, some flavors are quite good. 4) I hope you have a nice day also.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There is a great article that more fully explores Geno's meaning in making those comments in yesterdays news links. It was absolutely meant as a huge complement - as in 'if someone said Kiah Stokes is the face of your program, I'd be like, yeah, that's pretty good'.
NH Register 'Uconn's Breanna Stewart, Kiah Stokes dominating in the classroom as well'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom