Still sick about it | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Still sick about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We won 9 and then 8 games with Tyler...and with him and Edsall we would not have lost last Saturday. Now, I understand we have some growing pains going on with a new coaching staff and all these young guys on offense. But, we were heads and shoulders above Vandy in terms of overall athletecism.

By all accounts Bones and DJ were great guys. They were not BCS level QBs and all four of the guys were started the season with at QB are superior college QBs. They have a long way to go, but they are not Bones or DJ by a long shot.

My two cents....get Nebrich and McCummings under center if for no other reason than they provide another playmaking option with their running. They are the future for the time being and it's time to take the full dose of medicine that comes with frosh QBs...and it will be bitter medicine. McKentee spent all of Saturday throwing off his back foot (take a look at the replay). I'm not sure he can hang in the pocket and if he can't, he simply is not the guy. My two cents.....

Reaction Score
I don't understand how people can say that we would've won that game with Edsall. Sure, maybe we don't throw with a 7-point lead late in the game, but I also doubt we send the house on that punt block. Nor do we blitz Larry Smith as much either. So sure, we probably would've saved 7 points, but then we probably would've lost 14 points as well.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how people can say that we would've won that game with Edsall. Sure, maybe we don't throw with a 7-point lead late in the game, but I also doubt we send the house on that punt block. Nor do we blitz Larry Smith as much either. So sure, we probably would've saved 7 points, but then we probably would've lost 14 points as well.

That point is correct. Too much happens in a football game to ever know how things would have played out over 60 minutes if everything was different. I think what people mean -- certainly what I mean -- is that if Edsall were coaching the last 8 minutes we wouldn't have thrown and with a very high probability we would have won. But it should go without saying that, no matter what we post, you can never know with certainty what might have happened if ....

Reaction Score
A simple google search on career stats:

Matt Bonislawski 161-332 1701 yards 11td 10int; 90 rushes for 246 yards 4td 0 fumbles lost
DJ Hernandez 132-237 1364 yards 15td 10int; 150 rushes for 538 yards 3td 3 fumbles lost

Bones pass percentage was low but turnovers were limited. 6 out of 10 ints were in 2 games. His other 11 starts resulted in 4ints.
DJ had a better percentage but a few more turnovers compared to pass attempts. His performance at Indiana in 2006, 5-13 for 27 yards with 2int (I'm surprised no one has mentioned this game).

Also remember in 2005 before the injury we were 4-1 to start the season. I think without the QB injury, as well as the other starters who were injured, can't remember exactly how many but know there were a lot, we go bowling that year.

Give McEntee another shot. If he has a repeat performance then it's time for a change.

Reaction Score
A simple google search on career stats:

Matt Bonislawski 161-332 1701 yards 11td 10int; 90 rushes for 246 yards 4td 0 fumbles lost
DJ Hernandez 132-237 1364 yards 15td 10int; 150 rushes for 538 yards 3td 3 fumbles lost

Bones pass percentage was low but turnovers were limited. 6 out of 10 ints were in 2 games. His other 11 starts resulted in 4ints.
DJ had a better percentage but a few more turnovers compared to pass attempts. His performance at Indiana in 2006, 5-13 for 27 yards with 2int (I'm surprised no one has mentioned this game).

Also remember in 2005 before the injury we were 4-1 to start the season. I think without the QB injury, as well as the other starters who were injured, can't remember exactly how many but know there were a lot, we go bowling that year.

Give McEntee another shot. If he has a repeat performance then it's time for a change.

In '05, we finished 5-6. We were one win short of a bowl. We lost with Bones at Pitt (after the injury) and Ga Tech. If Bones never got hurt, we would have had a good chance of beating Rutgers at home the day Dennis Brown played and getting to 6-5. The other 3 losses (at Pitt, Cincy and WVU and home to Louisville) Bones playing was not going to change.

Reaction Score
In '05, we finished 5-6. We were one win short of a bowl. We lost with Bones at Pitt (after the injury) and Ga Tech. If Bones never got hurt, we would have had a good chance of beating Rutgers at home the day Dennis Brown played and getting to 6-5. The other 3 losses (at Pitt, Cincy and WVU and home to Louisville) Bones playing was not going to change.

Ray Rice ran for over 200 that day IIRC, Bones wasn't stopping that and I don't think we win that game with him.

Reaction Score
That point is correct. Too much happens in a football game to ever know how things would have played out over 60 minutes if everything was different. I think what people mean -- certainly what I mean -- is that if Edsall were coaching the last 8 minutes we wouldn't have thrown and with a very high probability we would have won. But it should go without saying that, no matter what we post, you can never know with certainty what might have happened if ....

Well, what I meant was that with Edsall we would have won that game based on our strengths. We would not have given up a TD trying to get a defensive set on the field. We would have punched the ball in the endzone when we were inside the the 5 rather than get a delay of game penalty trying to get another offensive set on the field. With a defense in control as ours was he would have had an inexperienced QB well under wraps late in the game. And, I know folks love this pressure defense and I do too, but Gratz doesn't get burned under Edsall's defense either.

Again, I'm not saying that over the long-term this new staff won't overall be a good change for the program. But, they were terrible last Saturday and the kids were not ready. They get this season to put their system in place. But, .......and I am a pretty patient fan, if next season I see a punch of games like last Saturday I will have serious doubts about this hire.

option inside the 5......what could they possibly have been thinking????????

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
And, I know folks love this pressure defense and I do too, but Gratz doesn't get burned under Edsall's defense either.

Not that I entirely disagree with the rest of your post, but Gratz was burned repeatedly last year. In the last few games, opposing teams were simply picking on him. Oklahoma must have targeted the Receiver he was covering in 50% (exaggeration disclaimer) of their passing attempts, regardless of which receiver he was covering on a given play.

Reaction Score
Not that I entirely disagree with the rest of your post, but Gratz was burned repeatedly last year. In the last few games, opposing teams were simply picking on him. Oklahoma must have targeted the Receiver he was covering in 50% (exaggeration disclaimer) of their passing attempts, regardless of which receiver he was covering on a given play.
I truly think a part of this is making the adjustment to the new schemes. the defense played remarkably well, but at times I thought they looked a little confused. That is to be expected I think when you institute such a dramatically different system...sometimes you see it on offense, Pitt is an example, and its obvious. not as obvious on defense, but the same thing happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom