Stewie is the biggest key to UConn success... | The Boneyard

Stewie is the biggest key to UConn success...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
stewie dressed up.jpg

Tip of the hat to Sonny44 for his thread on "keys to success for UConn", which prompted me to look up the following stats. They support the idea that Stewie is the biggest key to UConn's success next season. IMO, she does the most important things UConn needs to win games:
1. Points - Stewie led the team in points each of the last two years w/ 777 and 686 points. Even more impressive, the next closest scorer each year was 130 & 121 points away. Despite the defensive attention, Stewie scores & scores...;)
2. Rebounds - Stewie was 1st in rebounds this past year, and 2nd two years ago. But, she was 1st BOTH years in offensive rebounds, a critical stat for winning.
3. Assists - After finishing 4th in assists two years ago, Stewie was 2nd this past year to only MoJeff. This is critical to UConn's offense w/ Stewie increasingly receiving double coverage.
4. Blocks - Over the last three years, Stewie has finished 1st, 1st and 2nd in blocked shots. There is no telling how many shots opponents didn't even try with the threat of Stewie near by. She is a defensive presence even without blocking or rebounding.
5. Games - Stewie has started 79 of 79 games in the past two seasons. Her 2,325 combined minutes played was more than anyone on the roster.
6. Free throws - Nobody gets fouled more than Stewie. She has been 1st all three years. Also, nobody makes more free throws than Stewie. She has scored 362 points from the charity stripe, far more than anyone else. Can't stop her and shouldn't foul her....:cool:

No one on the UConn team does ALL the things that Stewie does... Last year she was 1st in points, rebounds and free throws. She was 2nd in assists, steals and minutes. The biggest key to UConn's success is Stewie. Just my opinion. :D

Go Huskies..!!

P.S. - Love that pic of Breanna...

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
View attachment 9974

Tip of the hat to Sonny44 for his thread on "keys to success for UConn", which prompted me to look up the following stats. They support the idea that Stewie is the biggest key to UConn's success next season. IMO, she does the most important things UConn needs to win games:
1. Points - Stewie led the team in points each of the last two years w/ 777 and 686 points. Even more impressive, the next closest scorer each year was 130 & 121 points away. Despite the defensive attention, Stewie scores & scores...;)
2. Rebounds - Stewie was 1st in rebounds this past year, and 2nd two years ago. But, she was 1st BOTH years in offensive rebounds, a critical stat for winning.
3. Assists - After finishing 4th in assists two years ago, Stewie was 2nd this past year to only MoJeff. This is critical to UConn's offense w/ Stewie increasingly receiving double coverage.
4. Blocks - Over the last three years, Stewie has finished 1st, 1st and 2nd in blocked shots. There is no telling how many shots opponents didn't even try with the threat of Stewie near by. She is a defensive presence even without blocking or rebounding.
5. Games - Stewie has started 79 of 79 games in the past two seasons. Her 2,325 combined minutes played was more than anyone on the roster.
6. Free throws - Nobody gets fouled more than Stewie. She has been 1st all three years. Also, nobody makes more free throws than Stewie. She has scored 362 points from the charity stripe, far more than anyone else. Can't stop her and shouldn't foul her....:cool:

No one on the UConn team does ALL the things that Stewie does... Last year she was 1st in points, rebounds and free throws. She was 2nd in assists, steals and minutes. The biggest key to UConn's success is Stewie. Just my opinion. :D

Go Huskies..!!

P.S. - Love that pic of Breanna...

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
It was reported that even before she came to Uconn, that she could play guard, forward, or center. We now know that is true. She may go down as the best female player in history.

Reaction Score
View attachment 9974
Your data for other players is way off. MoJ scored 400/485 the last two seasons, Morgan/Kia scored562/399 last season, even Saniya scored 183/213. I will say score wise She leads the way and the supporting cast are not shabby. Where did you get your 130/121? :)

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
Your data for other players is way off. MoJ scored 400/485 the last two seasons, Morgan/Kia scored562/399 last season, even Saniya scored 183/213. I will say score wise She leads the way and the supporting cast are not shabby. Where did you get your 130/121? :)

No, my data is not way off....;) Follow along...
1. Stewie was the leading scorer last season at 686 points. The next scorer was KML at 565. The difference between the two was 121 points.
2. Two years ago, Stewie led the scoring w/ 777 points and Bria Hartley was 2nd at 647. That difference is 130 points.
3. My quote was "Even more impressive, the next closest scorer each year was 130 & 121 points away."
4. In no place of my analysis did I combine points for anyone.
Now go back and give me a "like" and all will be forgiven...:rolleyes:

Go Huskies..!!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
DavidinNaples said:
No, my data is not way off....;) Follow along... 1. Stewie was the leading scorer last season at 686 points. The next scorer was KML at 565. The difference between the two was 121 points. 2. Two years ago, Stewie led the scoring w/ 777 points and Bria Hartley was 2nd at 647. That difference is 130 points. 3. My quote was "Even more impressive, the next closest scorer each year was 130 & 121 points away." 4. In no place of my analysis did I combine points for anyone. Now go back and give me a "like" and all will be forgiven...:rolleyes: Go Huskies..!!

In honor of Kibitzer, "Ahem":

Your data ARE not way off.

Reaction Score

The most easily correctable "case" correction in the language English teachers love it. Gotch!!
agriculae, agriculi, agriculorium . So why do we hear: Me, myself and Jeff we gone fishin!!

Reaction Score
Stewie is not the biggest key to UConn's success.
Geno and CD Are heads and shoulders above Ms. Stew.
If she played for another coach/team, I believe Geno and CDE would have found a way to neutralize her threat. Sure would have been exciting.

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
If she played for another coach/team, I believe Geno and CDE would have found a way to neutralize her threat. Sure would have been exciting.

1. With all due respect, and full acknowledgement that Geno & CD are brilliant, the last time I looked, Geno 0 points, 0 assists and 0 rebounds over the last 30 years. :cool:
2. This thread and others similar to it, are talking about PLAYERS impacting UConn success ON THE COURT and not the coaching staff.
3. Besides, only Stewie can "neutralize" Stewie, and that hasn't happened since mid-season freshman year. :rolleyes:
4. As far as Geno being "head & shoulders" above Stewie, see photo below. Except for MoJeff, he ain't above anybody..!! :p

usa basketball.jpg

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
1. With all due respect, and full acknowledgement that Geno & CD are brilliant, the last time I looked, Geno 0 points, 0 assists and 0 rebounds over the last 30 years. :cool:
2. This thread and others similar to it, are talking about PLAYERS impacting UConn success ON THE COURT and not the coaching staff.
3. Besides, only Stewie can "neutralize" Stewie, and that hasn't happened since mid-season freshman year. :rolleyes:
4. As far as Geno being "head & shoulders" above Stewie, see photo below. Except for MoJeff, he ain't above anybody..!! :p

View attachment 9992
Oh, come now, somebody has to stand up for Geno. He's a good 5 inches taller than Bria, or at least he was at the height of his height at 6-1, though he might have aged off an inch once he hit 60 and also from certain players giving him frequent noggin rubdowns. He's also likely taller than KML there if she wasn't cheating a bit with the top bun.

But do agree that it is no given that he could neutralize Stewie. Though his teams often get the best of top stars in the matches, there are also quite a few that had very nice games against UConn.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Oh, come now, somebody has to stand up for Geno. He's a good 5 inches taller than Bria, or at least he was at the height of his height at 6-1, though he might have aged off an inch once he hit 60 and also from certain players giving him frequent noggin rubdowns. He's also likely taller than KML there if she wasn't cheating a bit with the top bun.

But do agree that it is no given that he could neutralize Stewie. Though his teams often get the best of top stars in the matches, there are also quite a few that had very nice games against UConn.
Might be the age. Might be the belly. It pulls the spine forward, decreasing the height. I speak with authority. :eek:

Reaction Score
Let's get an expert's opinion on Stewie.:rolleyes:

From the Sports Illustrated interview of Geno after the NC:

I know the questions are coming about whether Breanna Stewart is the greatest women’s college player ever. I would say that the numbers speak for themselves. She’s won three national championships in her first three years. Her performances in the Final Four show you she is not just along for the ride. Look at what she did after she sprained her ankle [late in the first half] in the title game—and I saw that ankle a couple of days later, and it was blown up. She subtly had 15 rebounds and four blocked shots, not to mention how many shots she changed. People think it’s just about points, but with her sometimes you don’t even notice how much she impacts winning. So I think at this point in her career she has been as good, if not better, than anyone who has ever played. ;)

Reaction Score
All great points. But let us not forget that Stewie's numbers in her sophomore season were drastically higher because Morgan Tuck only played 8 games, and KML missed 12. Stewie needed to play more minutes to make up for their losses. Don't forget KML lead the team her first two years at UCONN as a freshman and a sophomore. KML went down with that elbow injury.

But one player does not win the titles... it is the team work that they have shown that really is impressive. Also when Stewie suggested Jefferson should have been the MOP.... that was impressive.

Reaction Score
Might be the age. Might be the belly. It pulls the spine forward, decreasing the height. I speak with authority. :eek:
Take Geno out of the picture and what do you have?
Alot of good players have gone to other schools and Geno has neutralized them.
Besides, how do you figure Geno's not a player????
When was the last time you were surrounded by ladies of this caliber????

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Take Geno out of the picture and what do you have?
Alot of good players have gone to other schools and Geno has neutralized them.
Besides, how do you figure Geno's not a player????
When was the last time you were surrounded by ladies of this caliber????
I'm talking about his height. What are you talking about?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Yeah, Babe Ruth's managers were more important than he was!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, Babe Ruth's managers were more important than he was!
Still think that without Bill Carrigan, Ed Barrow, Miller Huggins, and Joe McCarthy, the Babe would have had no chance of winning a World Series. Sure he could swat a few home runs, but could he ever make sure that the job got done on the pitcher's mound? Actually, let me rephrase that . . . . .

Reaction Score
I have a feeling when Geno takes Stewie out for the last time with her 4th national title we're going to see some serious tears in his eyes. I'm prepared myself. Enjoy this year. Every minute of it. I just hope things work out well for KLS and her family.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Good catch. You beat me to it. Now be alert to the next careless poster who uses lead instead of led as past tense of lead. (Happens every day. ;))

Reaction Score

View attachment 9992

(well maybe) Stewie is the biggest key to UConn success...but this pic clearly demonstrates that Mo is the smallest key to UConn success :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom