Stewart Goal Tend? | The Boneyard

Stewart Goal Tend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
At 2:54 in the 2nd Q, I thought Stewie tipped the ball while it was on the rim while going for the rebound. It wasn't called (and it goes without saying that the announcers weren't paying attention), but looking at it on relay a few dozen times I'm pretty sure that was goal tending. Only noteworthy because I've never seen a goal tend in the women's game.

Reaction Score
Are you sure she made contact with the ball? Stewie has done that before where she has gotten up to the rim with her hand only for the ball to drop in just as she gets there. Happened last year in the South Carolina game, and again it was a no call. I figure the refs are closer to it and have a better look.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No goal tend she never touched it. The ball never is altered in line or pace and Stewie never got very high her fingers being barely to the rim.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
No goal tend she never touched it. The ball never is altered in line or pace and Stewie never got very high her fingers being barely to the rim.

First, the camera angle was such that you could not see whether the ball was touched, so the definitive statement you make, "she never touched it" is not supportable by the evidence. Second, it appears that the ball did change pace suddenly, and coincident with the movement, position and direction of Stewie's hand. Only Stewie really knows for sure.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
psconn said:
First, the camera angle was such that you could not see whether the ball was touched, so the definitive statement you make, "she never touched it" is not supportable by the evidence. Second, it appears that the ball did change pace suddenly, and coincident with the movement, position and direction of Stewie's hand. Only Stewie really knows for sure.
it did appear to change momentum while it was on the rim and the crowd clearly thought it was a goal tend.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I just looked at it in High Def slow motion several times and my observation is that her fingertips never even make it to the rim. No goal tend IMO.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Use stop action and check Stewies jump. Her toes are barely 6-8 inches off the floor and her heels about 12-14" and look at her fingers that barely clear the rim if at all as her reach is out as well as up. The only change of direction I see is from a round ball hitting the inside curve of the rim after skipping near side to far side once and moving smoothly in that direction without any sudden change of acceleration. Admittedly she she could have caught a fingernail but given her jump, her hand height and the normal physical mechanics of a sphere acceralating alon a curve I don't see it. The home town crowd is likely to see almost anything. So yes, those were pretty definitive for me.

Reaction Score
At 2:54 in the 2nd Q, I thought Stewie tipped the ball while it was on the rim while going for the rebound. It wasn't called (and it goes without saying that the announcers weren't paying attention), but looking at it on relay a few dozen times I'm pretty sure that was goal tending. Only noteworthy because I've never seen a goal tend in the women's game.
My sentiments as well. Looked like she might have touched it above the rim but, like you, I replayed frame by frame and I now feel she didn't. Note: watch it again BUT look at Geno and the bench -like a non-event. Not a peep, no teammates jumping up, etc. I am surprised because she went up twice in rapid succession - a great play!

Reaction Score
\

The REFS know what you must learn---GIRLS can't touch the RIM~~~or so the saying goes. So it's impossible for the REFS to think she actually touched the ball on the rim---keep that thought REFS!!! (tongue is firmly into my cheek)
Thanks for this, I watched the game twice today and missed that--I'll do it again tomorrow an look for it. Thanks..

Reaction Score
You mean THE GUY UPSTAIRS DIDN'T SEE IT OR DOESN'T KNOW??? He has a professional slo mo dvd recorder from DirectV.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Use stop action and check Stewies jump. Her toes are barely 6-8 inches off the floor and her heels about 12-14" and look at her fingers that barely clear the rim if at all as her reach is out as well as up. The only change of direction I see is from a round ball hitting the inside curve of the rim after skipping near side to far side once and moving smoothly in that direction without any sudden change of acceleration. Admittedly she she could have caught a fingernail but given her jump, her hand height and the normal physical mechanics of a sphere acceralating alon a curve I don't see it. The home town crowd is likely to see almost anything. So yes, those were pretty definitive for me.

But she touched the rim and started a harmonic resonance that took .33 seconds to reach its maximum just as the ball completed a 420 degee rotation and was flung off.

Reaction Score
But she touched the rim and started a harmonic resonance that took .33 seconds to reach its maximum just as the ball completed a 420 degee rotation and was flung off.

The critical information missing is the speed of rotation, the frequency induced into the RIM and the resonant frequency of the rim and backboard combination---that can be shattering...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The critical information missing is the speed of rotation, the frequency induced into the RIM and the resonant frequency of the rim and backboard combination---that can be shattering...

Well, as long as you understand you stand on the shoulders of brilliance, I'm good with it.

Reaction Score
\

The REFS know what you must learn---GIRLS can't touch the RIM~~~or so the saying goes. So it's impossible for the REFS to think she actually touched the ball on the rim---keep that thought REFS!!! (tongue is firmly into my cheek)
Thanks for this, I watched the game twice today and missed that--I'll do it again tomorrow an look for it. Thanks..
\

I played the play over and over, maybe a dozen times, including using the pause button repeatedly to play it frame by frame and I never gave thought to her touching the rim, which could have altered the ultimate path of the ball. I did not see her touch the ball - but, one can bet, with all this attention that play is getting, refs will pay closer attention to when Stewie goes up for a rebound with her huge wingspan.

Reaction Score
I played the play over and over, maybe a dozen times, including using the pause button repeatedly to play it frame by frame and I never gave thought to her touching the rim, which could have altered the ultimate path of the ball. I did not see her touch the ball - but, one can bet, with all this attention that play is getting, refs will pay closer attention to when Stewie goes up for a rebound with her huge wingspan.
Tongue in Cheek (joking) was that whole posting about Girls Can't Dunk. According to Geno she CAN. Refs are not stupid--if what they see registers in their mind they will call it. Refs however miss a lot---one would think them human, wouldn't they?? (joke).

Reaction Score
Well, as long as you understand you stand on the shoulders of brilliance, I'm good with it.
I thought the posting was about Stewie not Jefferson. Was that Jefferson standing Gabby's shoulders??? Darn the things I miss when watching these games. Low attention span--I'm being treated for that.

Reaction Score
Tongue in Cheek (joking) was that whole posting about Girls Can't Dunk. According to Geno she CAN. Refs are not stupid--if what they see registers in their mind they will call it. Refs however miss a lot---one would think them human, wouldn't they?? (joke).
She could dunk in high school

There are other easy-to-find videos of her dunking in UCONN practice

Reaction Score
She could dunk in high school

There are other easy-to-find videos of her dunking in UCONN practice

If I didn't say--according to Geno she can (dunk)--some nit picker would be picking nits.

Reaction Score

You liked my positing you quoted it twice---NICE~~~

Actually it really doesn't matter whether Stewied actually touched the ball or the rim. What matters is it the Boneyarders had a field day with it. The mental juices began to flow..

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
You liked my positing you quoted it twice---NICE~~~

Actually it really doesn't matter whether Stewied actually touched the ball or the rim. What matters is it the Boneyarders had a field day with it. The mental juices began to flow..
Occasionally your positing is worth assimilating. :confused::D

Reaction Score
I thought so too at the time.
I think then refs were stunned into a no-call
Doesn't happen much in the woman's game.

Often it is better if a Ref is in Doubt to make a "no call". One terrible foul is when Stewie tripped over an OSU player and got that call. I know-- whether it is in the rules or not if a player trips over another player or is tripped by another player--no distinction is made and a foul is called. I still don't like it. Some Ref need more TV time than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom