Steve Patterson out as Texas AD | The Boneyard

Steve Patterson out as Texas AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Depending on who comes in, it will be interesting to see how this affects the Big 12 either expanding or collapsing.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Shows that the natives are getting restless in Austin. They will be getting desperate soon. How far will UT have to fall (what, 6th best football team in Texas now?) before they realize the B12 is a poison pill for their athletic department? They should be starting with internal B1G/PAC debate soon.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Shows that the natives are getting restless in Austin. They will be getting desperate soon. How far will UT have to fall (what, 6th best football team in Texas now?) before they realize the B12 is a poison pill for their athletic department? They should be starting with internal B1G/PAC debate soon.

Texas, with the right coach, could be the top program even if they played in the MAC.

That being said, I wouldn't mind the TX guys blaming the conference and blow Shot up.

Reaction Score
I think this becomes a re-assessment of the entire AD. Seems like Shaka Smart should feel less than Terra Firma under his expensive shoes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Texas, with the right coach, could be the top program even if they played in the MAC.

That being said, I wouldn't mind the TX guys blaming the conference and blow Shot up.

How does one less P5 conference help UConn?

Reaction Score

Simple.

WE LIVE by the the shake-up of these conferences. WHEN a Cartel starts to leak, that's when there is opportunity for those outside the Cartel. Basic Economics. Might be the second level course you didn't take.

Reaction Score

Here's a scenario for you. Pac 12 goes to 16 with Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St. Big 10 grabs Kansas and UConn to go to 16.

Here's another scenario: 4 schools leave the Big 12 to Pac 12. Back fill and get to 14 teams by adding these 8: Memphis, UConn, Cinci, UCF, USF, Temple, Houston, SMU. Better conference than AAC in both football and basketball and would probably be considered a P5. This is similar to what happened when the Big East blew up the first time and retained their BCS bid.

I don't think the Pac 12, Big 10, SEC, or ACC would be interested in TCU, Baylor, Kansas St., or Iowa St.

Reaction Score
Simple.

WE LIVE by the the shake-up of these conferences. WHEN a Cartel starts to leak, that's when there is opportunity for those outside the Cartel. Basic Economics. Might be the second level course you didn't take.

That worked like a champ for TCU, Utah, etc., but right now we're 0-for-shake-ups.

Reaction Score
That worked like a champ for TCU, Utah, etc., but right now we're 0-for-shake-ups.

I am often amazed at the snow we see opined on these boards.

OUR #1 Resume Problem? We have only been playing Bigtime football since 2003.

That was the criteria - a fallacious one frankly - of the ACC. What is coming is the view that "Conferences" also raise the University - in collaboration - into higher rankings beyond Athletics. Football is everything is spouted by many. The Fact that Susan Herbst & others are raising UConn to the top Public in the Northeastern dense population is important. So ... I think this is a matter of time. Yes: this is hope & a prayer. But, unlike the Swofford days, it ain't like the Temple fans who think a few football wins gets you to the next platform. The coming forces - B1G - is dependant on a full muscular University that has many good Athletic Programs that can fill a TV 24/7 and enhance partners.

TCU? Mistake.
Utah and Colorado ... were obvious extensions of Pac12. What about Nevada though?

UConn has entered the beauty contest and we need all the categories to be Great and on the rise.

Reaction Score
If I were the Texas boosters/administration, I would throw some Longhorn money at either ND AD Jack Swarbrick or Louisville AD Tom Jurich to see if either had any interest in the job.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's kinda funny. Patterson was criticized for emphasizing fund raising, alienating long-time fans and raising ticket prices. In other words, he was Lou Perkins.

Reaction Score
If I were the Texas boosters/administration, I would throw some Longhorn money at either ND AD Jack Swarbrick or Louisville AD Tom Jurich to see if either had any interest in the job.
Swarbrick ain't leaving, and I'm not sure Texas people want another guy from Louisville right now.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, Patterson doesn't have much if any influence on realignment, nor does very many AD's.

Dodds actually had a little, but he had built up a lot of influence over the years.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Mack? No. Just no.

Bowlsby? Was great at Stanford, but I don't see it.

Luck? Got a powerful gig already, plus gets to watch his kid play QB up close on Sundays. Long shot.

Jurich? Best AD in the land right now. Would take a lot of dinero to do it, but he's UT's best shot of the four...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I wonder how much schools like Iowa St, Texas Tech, WVU, Okielite, Kansas St, Baylor, and TCU are sweating this. This hire is every bit as important for those schools as it is for Texas.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wonder how much schools like Iowa St, Texas Tech, WVU, Okielite, Kansas St, Baylor, and TCU are sweating this. This hire is every bit as important for those schools as it is for Texas.

Maybe the one with the best AD should offer him up to Texas, for the good of the conference.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
What about Nevada though?

No state support, terrible academics, no recruiting base, no television market, no fan support. In their favor, UCONN alum as athletic director, UCONN alum with board of regents CAHUSKY in the stands.

signed depressed Nevada season ticket holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger