Stef and turnovers | The Boneyard

Stef and turnovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why did Geno play Stef so many minutes when she when she had so turnovers?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why did Geno play Stef so many minutes when she when she had so turnovers?
She's a Sr, she's gotta work her way through poor games, she was our leading rebounder, they only have 7 players (I know, I know), they only have a 7 player rotation (better?).

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
In another thread or article, it mentioned that, coming into yesterday's game, Stef had only 14 TO's for the season. So, clearly, yesterday was very atypical - normally, Stef passes the ball very effectively, and takes care of it, too.

Just like players can have off nights with their shooting, great ball handlers can be slightly out-of-sync for a half, or a game. If it becomes chronic, that's one thing. But, if it's an outlier, you just move on.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Now I feel like I bit bait from a troll. Nice going Oz.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You're on a roll, rt.
onaroll.jpeg

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
A troll roll, like.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Stef had 15 points, 13 rebounds, and three blocks. She didn't have a great game, but she certainly was never having a bad one.

HGN

Reaction Score
Not to worry. Turnovers in this case was something that Geno knew not to worry about.....All 7 players had their individual problems of sort in the game. Plus, I think Geno wanted her to work through any problem she may have been having in the game itself ; to think through whatever it was , and solve it during the course of the game.

All in all , he left her in the game because that's the privilege you get as a Senior All-American , with 3 FF's , and a NC under your belt at UConn.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
He was obviously letting Stef play long enough to get her second triple double of the season, but even with all the minutes she wasn't able to get to double digits in turnovers - her teammates didn't get the memo and kept grabbing the balls she threw!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
In another thread or article, it mentioned that, coming into yesterday's game, Stef had only 14 TO's for the season. So, clearly, yesterday was very atypical - normally, Stef passes the ball very effectively, and takes care of it, too.

Just like players can have off nights with their shooting, great ball handlers can be slightly out-of-sync for a half, or a game. If it becomes chronic, that's one thing. But, if it's an outlier, you just move on.

I am sure opponents have scouted UConn, and watched Stef get most of her assists from the short corner, so they are going to put a lot more pressure on her there.

As far as the traveling calls, I am not sure if they were good calls.

Reaction Score
I'm not a basketball technician at all, so perhaps others with more technical knowledge can help. I think the Ohio State game was good for UConn and Stef in particular in one way that no one has mentioned thus far. At least twice, maybe three times, it seemed to me that Stef tried to get her pass from the high-middle down low, and each time it was rejected by OSU's center. Clearly, McGuff had prepared his players for that particular play, and he was going to stop that if he stopped nothing else. Did a pretty good job of it, too, IMHO.

Now not for nothing does UConn have the best coach in WCBB. I am dead certain that Geno saw that pattern and will create a way around it. Better now than later in the season, when it counts more.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I know I dont like how Banks and MoJeff telegraph their passes into the paint... that weak slide bounce pass, which is normally kicked on too low for the post player to grab hold of cleanly

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I know I dont like how Banks and MoJeff telegraph their passes into the paint... that weak slide bounce pass, which is normally kicked on too low for the post player to grab hold of cleanly
Bingo, DC, that is an issue. As at times are passes to the wrong side, side towards the defender, up high for the posts rat hearing than leading them away.

As I said earlier I, also, see a significant return towards the old patterns of officiating. The OSU game was much more physical and clogged with much fewer calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom