Statistics imply the Patriots cheating | The Boneyard

Statistics imply the Patriots cheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“Something significant changed from 2006 to 2007 that allowed them to retain the football,” Sharp said by phone Tuesday, “and that continues today.”

According to Sharp’s calculations, the Patriots’ fumble rate was 42 touches per fumble from 2000 through 2006. That was about the league average. Since 2007, however, that rate has dropped dramatically, to 74 touches per fumble. Over that time, the Pats are the best team in the NFL at holding onto the ball, even including dome teams.

“Based upon the data we’ve collected and the probabilities, it definitely is extremely unlikely that their ability to hold onto the football would change so much and be as far away from the rest of the NFL,” Sharp said. “It’s extremely unlikely.”

We all know correlation does not mean causation, but this is one whopper of a correlation. The Patriots were basically an average team in terms of fumbling the football, and then Brady pushed for a rule change, and then the Patriots suddenly become wizards at football control. And all this would be cool or quirky if we weren’t embroiled in a nationwide debate over whether the Patriots altered the footballs they bring to games.

This finding trickles down to individual players, in some cases. Kevin Faulk was drafted by the Patriots in 1999 and played in New England through 2011. Up until the 2007 season, Faulk had 23 fumbles. After that point, he had two. Danny Amendola had 10 fumbles in four seasons with the Rams, then came to New England and lost the ball only once in two years.

As for Brady himself, he had 59 fumbles in his first six seasons, and only 37 in his most recent seven seasons.

Full story http://sports.yahoo.com/news/deflat...-why-patriots-don-t-fumble-003107565-nfl.html

Reaction Score
Another thread on this? This is discussed ad naseum in 2 other threads.

You are a professional thread starter.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen this discussed. This article came out on Wednesday. It seems to be the smoking gun that provides the "why" of the Patriots cheating.

Besides what are you, the bandwidth police? Lighten up Francis.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I haven't seen this discussed. This article came out on Wednesday. It seems to be the smoking gun that provides the "why" of the Patriots cheating.

Go back and read the other threads and all the actual mathemeticians who debunked it. You would have to believe in climate change studies to believe this study.

Reaction Score

The Sharp article was discussed last week at the earliest, and discussed numerous times. So was the article you just linked. Find a new way to call attention to yourself.

Reaction Score
Go back and read the other threads and all the actual mathemeticians who debunked it. You would have to believe in climate change studies to believe this study.

How do you debunk facts? The Patriots, a team that plays outdoors in the northeast, is an outlier in ball security. Period.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score

Stop , you are going to make his head explode. He hates the Pats almost as much as Obama and climate change, and starts inumerable threads against each. I will say he keeps them in their appropriate place however.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
How do you debunk facts? The Patriots, a team that plays outdoors in the northeast, is an outlier in ball security. Period.
Well slam dunk then that they deflated balls. You really proved that conclusively!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Statistics imply that Palatine is irrationally obsessed.

Reaction Score
Other "suspicious" statistics:

The Denver Broncos haven't lost a divisional game on the road since December of 2010.

Aaron Rodgers hasn't thrown an interception at home game for 2 seasons.

Russell Wilson fumbled 11 times during the regular season but has 0 fumbles lost.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I already gave you the link. Your blind allegiance to the debunked post you linked makes you sound like a climate change alarmist. I already told you to go look at the existing threads on this very topic.

Being late to the party and missing out on the previous conversations doesn't make your observations prescient. It just makes you look like you are behind the power curve of the conversation.

Reaction Score

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

-Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli

Reaction Score
The are only (2) confirmed facts at this time:
(1) This whole charade is being orchestrated by the former Jets president who was left at the altar by BB who refused to by HC of the NYJ.
(2) The Patriots ballboy has a fiber-rich diet.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOL. If your political sources are as strong as Warren Sharp hahahahahahaahhahahha

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The 2 weeks between the conf championship games and the Super Bowl are the most painful 2 weeks on the sports calendar. They need to permeantantly shorten it to 1 week and play the damn game on Saturday night.

Why don't they play on a Saturday night? I know that Sunday night is a bigger TV night...but isn't the superbowl big enough to overcome that?

Saturday night is a MUCH better night for Superbowl parties. It would be nice to have a few cocktails and watch the superbowl without worrying that I have to work the next day....lol.

Reaction Score
Why don't they play on a Saturday night? I know that Sunday night is a bigger TV night...but isn't the superbowl big enough to overcome that?

Saturday night is a MUCH better night for Superbowl parties. It would be nice to have a few cocktails and watch the superbowl without worrying that I have to work the next day....lol.

I can live with the game on Sundays but this really needs to be shortened to 1 week. Deflategate, Lynch, Sherman....I can't take any more of it. I walked into the kitchen area at work and saw Ellen Degeneres interviewing Kanye West. I tried to think of something I'd rather watch less than that and all I could come up with is the Super Bowl coverage.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I can live with the game on Sundays but this really needs to be shortened to 1 week. Deflategate, Lynch, Sherman....I can't take any more of it. I walked into the kitchen area at work and saw Ellen Degeneres interviewing Kanye West. I tried to think of something I'd rather watch less than that and all I could come up with is the Super Bowl coverage.

I almost posted this on the Lynch thread....but I will post it here....if you don't like the Lynch and deflategate stuff....just don't watch it. I have just stopped watching any Superbowl stuff....and I really could care less what Lynch does or doesn't do. Other than reading the headlines...I really don't know what the Lynch stuff is about...and I don't care. I don't open the threads...don't watch the videos.

Not engaging on these topics has lowered my aggravation level...lol.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Superbowl should be a 6 pm ET kickoff on Saturday. Gives time to get some chores out of the way Saturday morning, prep for the game in the afternoon and relax at night. Game is over by 10 pm leaving time to get home safely or go out afterwards.

Everyone recovers on Sunday. Back to work on Monday.

Reaction Score
I almost posted this on the Lynch thread....but I will post it here....if you don't like the Lynch and deflategate stuff....just don't watch it. I have just stopped watching any Superbowl stuff....and I really could care less what Lynch does or doesn't do. Other than reading the headlines...I really don't know what the Lynch stuff is about...and I don't care. I don't open the threads...don't watch the videos.

Not engaging on these topics has lowered my aggravation level...lol.

If you have found a way to avoid this please pass that along. It's everywhere. I have every idiot in the office trying to drum up conversations about Tom Brady's balls. I just told someone today to just shut up.

Reaction Score
I'm in the enough camp. This entire set of "conversations" can be summed up as follows

I don't like the Patriots, and this recent discussion proves they are cheaters. I like the Patriots and this is all bull.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
If you have found a way to avoid this please pass that along. It's everywhere. I have every idiot in the office trying to drum up conversations about Tom Brady's balls. I just told someone today to just shut up.
you can tell them that you'd love to chat about it after you discuss your recent religious conversion...

Reaction Score
you can tell them that you'd love to chat about it after you discuss your recent religious conversion...

Unfortunately I'm a tad obnoxious (shocker, I know) and regularly argue what a ridiculous sham religion is. Maybe that's my way out.

"So Chad, which God is the one you believe in? The one who rose from the dead or the one who was following the Hale Bob Comet?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom