Starting line up? 10 man line up | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Starting line up? 10 man line up

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Cassell only played one year of JUCO.
Correct he went to Chipola Junior College for two years but only played for the team one year to focus on school work. But that goes to his maturity which is huge for a new player. Either way the kids experienced and I think will be huge off the bench for us.

Reaction Score
One more thing to think about is Samuel is the only true PG on the team. He also a nasty defender. Out of the listed heights--I think Samuel's 6-4 is the biggest BS--is he even 6-2? He is put together if he is roughly 6-2 200 and Purvis 6-3 200 thats a pair of thick powerful guards who may be able to over power other guys

Samuel plays his hardest on every single possession, that's what I love most. He's not going to wow you with anything but he's going to find ways to come out on top. Reminds me alot of Taliek Brown.

Reaction Score
One more thing to think about is Samuel is the only true PG on the team. He also a nasty defender. Out of the listed heights--I think Samuel's 6-4 is the biggest BS--is he even 6-2? He is put together if he is roughly 6-2 200 and Purvis 6-3 200 thats a pair of thick powerful guards who may be able to over power other guys

Omar Calhoun listed at 6-6 is absurd. I think he's 6-4 tops (see below). I'm hoping for a big improvement from Omar as well, but I just don't know. Freshman year he put up good numbers, but he's not a reliable shooter, he has no handle (hopefully this improved over the summer) and he has slow lateral movement and therefore is a poor defender. It really is a liability when your wing player cant beat anyone off the dribble or create his own shot (especially in KO's system).

I don't see any way he starts over Purvis or Hamilton. Its crazy to say but I think a Niels type role is the best we can expect from Omar at this point. Hopefully hit some corner threes and try to bang down low and grab some boards. I love his attitude and how he never sulked last year after losing all his minutes. He vowed to come back strong this year and I really hope he does, I just think we need to curb our expectations for him based on his legitimate liabilities. He can still be a good player for us, but I don't see him as a typical all around wing player.

upload_2014-8-18_11-8-17.jpeg

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Guys hopefully this can make you feel better about Omar because I'm really pulling for this kid and hope for a solid comeback next season (starter or not).

Ps: Sorry in advance about the title of the video, hopefully that doesnt turn this thread into a tottally different convo about "he not kemba" ha

Reaction Score
Phil Nolan at 237" is not only the incumbent starter at C, he is now bigger and presumably better able to hold his ground against wide-body opponents.

If Nolan is 237 inches, the other 4 guys on the court can hang out and eat hot dogs all game, and we can forget questions about Facey, Brimah, or anyone else. He'd be like one of the Monstars in Space Jam.

Reaction Score
I can't forget what TSam did for us in huge spots last year. When he was on the floor good things happened, so I just hope he gets enough PT. If he improved his shot he's gonna be tough to keep off the floor.

Reaction Score
Guys hopefully this can make you feel better about Omar because I'm really pulling for this kid and hope for a solid comeback next season (starter or not).

Ps: Sorry in advance about the title of the video, hopefully that doesnt turn this thread into a tottally different convo about "he not kemba" ha

Yeah he looked much more like a version of a Branden Roy--he uses the dribble so much more he passes he plays above the rim at times --he was just a much better allaround skill player and hius fascination with a 23 foot jumpshot which he was not good at killed his game. If he wanst to continue his career in a highly positive way--he needs to get back here--he avg 11 pts in yr 1 usually that means avg 15-17 pts by junior year. Now I dont think in anyway hes going there--but what I would like to see is the all around game coming back Look @ 5.50 or so of that video--takes it up full court with a between the legs dribble and finishes with a slam.

Reaction Score
Watch any tape you can find on Omar that is not from last season and you'll be impressed at the very least.

Watching him last season almost hurt, you expected him to have built upon a strong freshman season and come out as a key player. But then from the start of the season you could see how much the hip surgeries/time off the court effected him. He looked like he just wasn't ready physically last year and I hope he is able to come back to form this year. The 1/2 combo of Boat/Purvis is the closest thing to an absolute certainty that this lineup has in my opinion, but he can be a real factor off the bench. Or possibly in the starting lineup if we push Hamilton to the 4, although I think that is highly unlikely.

It should also be noted that at no point did he hang his or complain about playing time, he was there for his teammates and never made an excuses about injuries. If nothing else he is a leader.

Reaction Score
Omar was becoming much more than a long range jump shooter as his freshman year evolved, I even remember at the time Dom writing an article in which Omar said the coaches wanted him to show the ball more and get the defender off balance instead of just launching a jumper, and he started to become much more effective off the bounce and getting to the free throw line. Omar injured his wrist in the Villanova game that year because a Nova defender parked themselves under the basket trying to draw a bs charge when Omar was attacking. If his health and body are back in order, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he starts at that wing spot over DHam. DHam may ultimately turn out to be better, ala Rudy initially coming off the bench during his freshman season behind Denham/Rashad before he eventually took that spot over, but I don't expect a healthy Omar to just roll over and no longer be a contributor. Alot of guys on here forget how much better Omar was getting as his freshman season went along before the wrist ultimately did him in, he was getting after it on the boards in addition to scoring, and appartently that version didn't have healthy hips either.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Omar was becoming much more than a long range jump shooter as his freshman year evolved, I even remember at the time Dom writing an article in which Omar said the coaches wanted him to show the ball more and get the defender off balance instead of just launching a jumper, and he started to become much more effective off the bounce and getting to the free throw line. Omar injured his wrist in the Villanova game that year because a Nova defender parked themselves under the basket trying to draw a bs charge when Omar was attacking. If his health and body are back in order, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he starts at that wing spot over DHam. DHam may ultimately turn out to be better, ala Rudy initially coming off the bench during his freshman season behind Denham/Rashad before he eventually took that spot over, but I don't expect a healthy Omar to just roll over and no longer be a contributor. Alot of guys on here forget how much better Omar was getting as his freshman season went along before the wrist ultimately did him in, he was getting after it on the boards in addition to scoring, and appartently that version didn't have healthy hips either.

Totally agree, Calhoun was on the right track freshman year to being a big peice to Uconn's success. That surgery really set him back and I don't think it was just the fact he wasn't able to get into the gym (even though that is a huge reason) but also mentally you lose the competiveness and motivation that you see in the off season. However he handled this season well and instead of letting it get him down I think he used it as motivation (I would assume Ollie & staff contributed to that very much). The Rudy comparison is a good one for Hamilton because although an all american stud and future NBA star, the transition from high school to college can take a little time. The best part is we have great veterans who have championship experience to help him with this transition, just like our leaders have been doing in recent seasons.

Reaction Score
If Nolan has truly bulked up by 20 plus pounds, we are probably looking at a starting lineup of AB, Nolan, DHam, Purvis and Boat.

I expect TSam, Cassell Jr., Facey, and Omar to get plenty of minutes as well. I hope Lubin is good enough to crack the rotation, that would be a nice bonus.

Reaction Score
yeah IMO Boat is the going to be the primarily ball handler this year, he made great strides last year in being able to run the offence and Purvis will allow boat to play off the ball because of his handles... I see Boat and Purvis in the backcourt with omar starting at the 3 and either Facey/ Nolan at the four and Brimah at the five... I wouldnt be suprised if 3-4 are switched this year we have players who can play different positions... we saw how ollie like using daniels as the stretch 4 last year[/Q
Cassell has an excellence chance to start as the second ball handler and backcourt scorer in place of Purvis in your lineup. I only say that because Cassell has played more PG at this point and may have a better outside shot. It is hard to evaluate any of the players before we have seen them play together. Even the returning players will look different after a year of experience and development.

Reaction Score
If Nolan has truly bulked up by 20 plus pounds, we are probably looking at a starting lineup of AB, Nolan, DHam, Purvis and Boat.

I expect TSam, Cassell Jr., Facey, and Omar to get plenty of minutes as well. I hope Lubin is good enough to crack the rotation, that would be a nice bonus.
And if Nolan has learned to finish it will be hard to keep him out of any lineup.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My hope is that Omar returns to his freshman year play. He will be needed this year either off the bench or starting.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Phil Nolan at 237" is not only the incumbent starter at C, he is now bigger and presumably better able to hold his ground against wide-body opponents.

I'm not sure. At 19 feet, 9 inches, he will have some real challenges.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Talking about the starters, you have to remember that the person who starts doesn't always get the most minutes. And who starts in November may not start in March. I think Omar may start in the fall partly because DH is a freshman I think PN will start at the 4 like he did in the NCAAs. but he will probably play most at the 5.
I think Purvis & Boat are the only real givens.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
There is no way Nolan and brima see much time together. We don't have TO to play incase they get in foul trouble. FaceTime is starting and has to be serviceable this year, only way we'll be good.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
There is no way Nolan and brima see much time together. We don't have TO to play incase they get in foul trouble. FaceTime is starting and has to be serviceable this year, only way we'll be good.
I agree. But I still think PN may get a 2 minute start at the 4 in the Fall.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I agree. But I still think PN may get a 2 minute start at the 4 in the Fall.

It is clear that Phil and Amida will be splitting the time at the 5, but Phil is the incumbent starter and I don't see him losing that role for no reason at the start of the year. He could start at either the 4 or 5. If Amida is able to play more minutes with less fouls and is better able to hold his own inside, then Phil has more minutes he can play at the 4. As others have said, I don't see Facey being elevated to starter based on potential or because of our limited depth at the 5. He could get similar minutes to a starter depending upon his play, but let's see what he actually does. Phil has good quickness for his size and can defend the perimeter pretty well as needed. Kentan was as slender as DD and there has been no word about his gaining significant weight over the off season, so he may well struggle to handle bigger players on D. KO will work out the minutes, which may well change based on the opponent.

Reaction Score

You might be right about that lineup, but it doesn't follow from Nolan having gained 20 pounds. If he's bulking up, it's so he can be a true center, not a 4. That said, the lineup you propose has our two best frontcourt guys starting and so is likely to be what we go with.

Reaction Score
It is clear that Phil and Amida will be splitting the time at the 5, but Phil is the incumbent starter and I don't see him losing that role for no reason at the start of the year. He could start at either the 4 or 5. If Amida is able to play more minutes with less fouls and is better able to hold his own inside, then Phil has more minutes he can play at the 4. As others have said, I don't see Facey being elevated to starter based on potential or because of our limited depth at the 5. He could get similar minutes to a starter depending upon his play, but let's see what he actually does. Phil has good quickness for his size and can defend the perimeter pretty well as needed. Kentan was as slender as DD and there has been no word about his gaining significant weight over the off season, so he may well struggle to handle bigger players on D. KO will work out the minutes, which may well change based on the opponent.

I highly doubt Amida and Nolan will play much together--maybe 10 years ago--but the game has changed. Both of those guys are interior players. This makes the offense much easier to guard and we become slower in the transition game. On top if it those are our C's if they both get in FT at the same time--we dont have back ups for the 5. If anything we'd likely play 4 guards and one big.

Reaction Score
Talking about the starters, you have to remember that the person who starts doesn't always get the most minutes. And who starts in November may not start in March. I think Omar may start in the fall partly because DH is a freshman I think PN will start at the 4 like he did in the NCAAs. but he will probably play most at the 5.
I think Purvis & Boat are the only real givens.

When did PN start at the 4? It was Giffey, DD, and Nolan up front.

Reaction Score
Look at the Final Four games.
I've watched them a number of times...if Nolan starts and defends Patric Young, UF's starting C, what position is he playing? If Nolan starts and defends Dakari Johnson, UK's starting C, what position is he playing? There's a difference between starting alongside DD in the frontcourt, and then possibly starting alongside Brimah. I think you're getting caught up in what he was announced as in the starting lineup, he was announced at "Forward" because that's the position he's listed at in the media guide. Look at who he defended and his responsibilities on D, he played C. Before anyone mentions the Boat/Bazz dynamic, not the same.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
so..did we play with two centers or was Brimah playing power forward? Bottom line, they played beside each other. And it wasn't Giff, DD and NOLAN as you said. And as I was saying, AB and PN can play short minutes together and your starter is not necessarily your main person at a position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom