Starting line up? 10 man line up | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting line up? 10 man line up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I honestly cannot see Facey starting. I know everyone, including myself, thinks he is going to improve but I just can't see a guy jumping from 2 min a game to the starting lineup. I also cannot see a way Hamilton is out of the starting lineup unless he loses it after the season starts.

I 100% agree with mau, I think we see one of 2 starting lineups all year:
Boat
Purvis
Hamilton
Nolan
Brimah

OR

Boat
Purvis
Insert 3rd guard here
Hamilton
Brimah

Reaction Score
The one thing I'm worried about is our lack of depth. We only have 4 frontcourt players: Brimah, Nolan, Facey, and Rock. 2 of those guys are huge question marks. Also, Brimah and Nolan's reliability will be tested as they'll likely play 25+ minutes each.

Remind me, how many bigs did we have last year? Depth can definitely be looked at as a weakness but I'm not as scared of this as I was when I first thought about it. With Brimah protecting the rim the thought of Hamilton at the 4 or even a 4 guard lineup with Brimah is not a problem. And the thought of fits it could cause opposing defenses is exciting.

Reaction Score
I don't remember seeing Calhoun, at all last season.

on a serious note.
He was awesome as a freshman and I really Hope he can get back to form.

When I first saw tape of calhoun I thought he was a version of Branden Roy. It seems like he now dribbles less doesn't pass and focuses too much on 3 balls --- the injury just wrecked his game. If he is *healthy* and has regained form and expanded his dribble drive--maybe he can play the Giffey or Kromah role effectively. There is NO doubt in my mind that benching Calhoun and inserting Samuel was absolutely key last year. But 6 months is a LONg time for a 20 year old kid--yu can completely transform your body at that age 6 months of honing skills to regain form--then we remember hes 6-5 210+

Reaction Score
Remind me, how many bigs did we have last year? Depth can definitely be looked at as a weakness but I'm not as scared of this as I was when I first thought about it. With Brimah protecting the rim the thought of Hamilton at the 4 or even a 4 guard lineup with Brimah is not a problem. And the thought of fits it could cause opposing defenses is exciting.

We kind of went with C by committee with Deandre at 4. Now can facey hit 2-3 3's make other plays on the boards in transition maybe a li ttle off the dribble? The kid can shoot and he looks every bit as tall and maybe more athletic than Deandre. I think he might be a better rebounder given a chance.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
When I first saw tape of calhoun I thought he was a version of Branden Roy. It seems like he now dribbles less doesn't pass and focuses too much on 3 balls --- the injury just wrecked his game. If he is *healthy* and has regained form and expanded his dribble drive--maybe he can play the Giffey or Kromah role effectively. There is NO doubt in my mind that benching Calhoun and inserting Samuel was absolutely key last year. But 6 months is a LONg time for a 20 year old kid--yu can completely transform your body at that age 6 months of honing skills to regain form--then we remember hes 6-5 210+

I agree, those tapes of Calhoun make him look totally different. He used to drive, run the fast break, get through contact. Freshman year he was heavily a spot up shooter who made a couple nice plays off the pump but he wasn't nearly as quick as he looked in high school. I think he turns it around. Having surgery in the off season and not being able to play can be tough for someone so young. You lose the focus and that attitude. This past season would either make him or break him but he stayed around so I think he is motivated to come back stronger. I still think Hamilton can take that spot based on his natural talent but he needs to become accustom to the new style of play first.

Reaction Score
I really think TSam will get better and better at UConn. As for his immediate future I see him and Calhoun vying for minutes as the 3rd guard. His confidence is high having post season experience and on court success.

If TSam develops his jumper then the sky is the limit for him on this team, a great bench weapon if you will. I also sense Ollie likes the kid, which helps his cause. Haven't heard much about his off season work.

Of all the players, he to me is the one to keep an eye on, at least for the next 2 years. Come his senior year he will be our next great point guard I predict.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Olander, Facey, Brimah, Nolan, Daniels, and even Tolksdorf (he was 6'8" 220+). We had a lot more depth and Daniels who was a dependable 10+ point scorer per night. We don't have that this year.

Reaction Score
Olander, Facey, Brimah, Nolan, Daniels, and even Tolksdorf (he was 6'8" 220+). We had a lot more depth and Daniels who was a dependable 10+ point scorer per night. We don't have that this year.

Tolksdorf was on the team, yes, but he played about 5 min more than the walkons all season and Facey wasn't exactly on the court either.

My point was/is that if a rotation of Brimah, Nolan, Olander and Daniels can work then Brimah, Nolan, Facey and Hamilton can too. And at that point any productive minutes we get from Lubin is a bonus.

Reaction Score

Facey barely played Tyler was not good and played small minutes and Tolksdorf did not play.

Nolan and Brimah are both a year older Nolan is 25 pounds heavier. My bet is Rakim Lubin is 25X better than Olander and will give legit help every game. Facey will be a version of DD. I think were better off this year in the middle. IF Facey can come even 65% close to DD with Lubin and advancement from Nolan and Brimah--were good there. This is a guard orientated team and we have as good of guards as anyone.

Reaction Score
We kind of went with C by committee with Deandre at 4. Now can facey hit 2-3 3's make other plays on the boards in transition maybe a li ttle off the dribble? The kid can shoot and he looks every bit as tall and maybe more athletic than Deandre. I think he might be a better rebounder given a chance.

If that is the case and he can do that then I will absolutely thrilled. I think Facey is capable of those types of things but it is alot to ask or expect it of him right away.

At the same time, I think Brimah is definitely ready for an increased role. This makes that C by committee look a bit different with Nolan being more of a backup to AB at the 5 and pushing for minutes at the 4.

The versatility of this lineup is exciting, there are so many ways KO can, and probably will go. But there is enough talent to where I'm not overly concerned about depth. There aren't many teams with a 10+ man rotation

Reaction Score
There is no "S" at the end of Terrence's name. TERRENCE SAMUEL.

There is no way that Omar starts over either Purvis or Samuel. Less than 1% chance and even that's generous. If he has improved his handle as dramatically as anyone has ever improved anything, ever, over that last 6 months, then maybe he plays the 3 over a frosh DH...but even that only upps the odds by such a tiny amount that it isn't really worth mentioning.

1. Boat
2. Purvis
3. D Ham
4. Facey
5. Brimah

6M- Samuel, or Phil

LOL....It would be fun sitting next to you at games. :) Nice post bro.

Reaction Score
Strong lineups and strong guard play. My hope is that Cassell is damn good enough to play 15 minutes and put up 10 pts a game. Boat/Purvis/and to a lesser degree TSam still get there minutes but the alien contributes meaningfully.

Reaction Score
Strong lineups and strong guard play. My hope is that Cassell is damn good enough to play 15 minutes and put up 10 pts a game. Boat/Purvis/and to a lesser degree TSam still get there minutes but the alien contributes meaningfully.

I think getting 10 out of Sam Jr is asking a lot but getting that on occasion would be wonderful…….I think getting 10-15 a night out of the combination of Calhoun, TSam and Sam Jr would be great!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Phil Nolan at 237" is not only the incumbent starter at C, he is now bigger and presumably better able to hold his ground against wide-body opponents. He was better at that than Brimah last year and I could see him starting at either the 4 or 5. He played incredibly improved defense in the tourney and was one critical piece to the championship puzzle in 2014. We are all excited about Amida's potential, but he will need to show he can do more than block shots. I expect both to improve and I could see the suggestion above about starting Nolan at the 4, but rotating him to center and moving Facey into the largest number of minutes at the 4 (if he is really ready). KO will match the strengths of Husky players to match or negate the strengths of the opponent. Just don't underestimate Nolan's legitimate claim to significant minutes, starter minutes next year. The better Amida plays (and stays in the game), the more time for Nolan at the 4 if the matchups permit. Let's hope that Facey can take a big leap in his readiness to contribute...we need all 3 to have very good years.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I keep hearing Cassell is the best 3-pt shooter on the team. If that's true and he can knock them down, he'll play a lot. I could see a lot of 3-guard lineup this year with Boat, Purvis, and either Samuel/Cassell/Calhoun. Hamilton moved to the 4 possibly for stretches?

Not sure, but this team will be interesting to watch. Lots of interchangeable pieces.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Cassell is no freshman coming in kid has two years of JUCO under his belt (All American). He should be ready to see plenty of minutes with confidence.

People who say Tolksdorf, well he is not at Uconn anymore but I wouldn't see him getting many minutes even if he stayed. AKA why he left.

Samuel did not flash any of his shooting this year but watching plenty of his high school tapes he shown he can knock down the jumper from outside but even more important he has incredible vision possibly better then our other guards (or at least he prefers to pass more).

Calhoun not having the dribble wont hurt him to bad, as I dont think Niels had too great of dribbling and he was able to be one of the most important parts of our success.

Reaction Score
There is no "S" at the end of Terrence's name. TERRENCE SAMUEL.

There is no way that Omar starts over either Purvis or Samuel. Less than 1% chance and even that's generous. If he has improved his handle as dramatically as anyone has ever improved anything, ever, over that last 6 months, then maybe he plays the 3 over a frosh DH...but even that only upps the odds by such a tiny amount that it isn't really worth mentioning.

1. Boat
2. Purvis
3. D Ham
4. Facey
5. Brimah

6M- Samuel, or Phil

Reaction Score
im not sure what your all thinking but Rodney Purvis is going to be our best player this year....you watch.

Reaction Score
Phil Nolan at 237" is not only the incumbent starter at C, he is now bigger and presumably better able to hold his ground against wide-body opponents. He was better at that than Brimah last year and I could see him starting at either the 4 or 5. He played incredibly improved defense in the tourney and was one critical piece to the championship puzzle in 2014. We are all excited about Amida's potential, but he will need to show he can do more than block shots. I expect both to improve and I could see the suggestion above about starting Nolan at the 4, but rotating him to center and moving Facey into the largest number of minutes at the 4 (if he is really ready). KO will match the strengths of Husky players to match or negate the strengths of the opponent. Just don't underestimate Nolan's legitimate claim to significant minutes, starter minutes next year. The better Amida plays (and stays in the game), the more time for Nolan at the 4 if the matchups permit. Let's hope that Facey can take a big leap in his readiness to contribute...we need all 3 to have very good years.
I really, truly hope you are right about this (i.e. Nolan). It would solve any, and every big man issues we have.

Reaction Score
Cassell is no freshman coming in kid has two years of JUCO under his belt (All American). He should be ready to see plenty of minutes with confidence.

People who say Tolksdorf, well he is not at Uconn anymore but I wouldn't see him getting many minutes even if he stayed. AKA why he left.

Samuel did not flash any of his shooting this year but watching plenty of his high school tapes he shown he can knock down the jumper from outside but even more important he has incredible vision possibly better then our other guards (or at least he prefers to pass more).

Calhoun not having the dribble wont hurt him to bad, as I dont think Niels had too great of dribbling and he was able to be one of the most important parts of our success.

Cassell only played one year of JUCO.

Reaction Score
One more thing to think about is Samuel is the only true PG on the team. He also a nasty defender. Out of the listed heights--I think Samuel's 6-4 is the biggest BS--is he even 6-2? He is put together if he is roughly 6-2 200 and Purvis 6-3 200 thats a pair of thick powerful guards who may be able to over power other guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom