6th man Rodney Purvis 6-3 200

C-Nolan 6-10 235

PF Rakim Lubin 6-8 245

PG Terrance Samuels 6-2 200

G Sam Cassell 6-3 180

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Brimah, Boatright and Purvis are givens for starters.

Obviously Purvis is starting for either Calhoun and Hamilton. No way Ollie leaves Boatright exposed without another ball handler out there.

And I think Phil starts of Facey, but there's a legitimate debate there.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Ready for the season to start now!
A lot of talent...very good depth at guard, less among the bigs. Success will depend upon how well they play together.
Looks like Lubin and DHam grew a bit and TSam has shrunk in your list.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Brimah, Boatright and Purvis are givens for starters.

Obviously Purvis is starting for either Calhoun and Hamilton. No way Ollie leaves Boatright exposed without another ball handler out there.

And I think Phil starts of Facey, but there's a legitimate debate there.
yeah IMO Boat is the going to be the primarily ball handler this year, he made great strides last year in being able to run the offence and Purvis will allow boat to play off the ball because of his handles... I see Boat and Purvis in the backcourt with omar starting at the 3 and either Facey/ Nolan at the four and Brimah at the five... I wouldnt be suprised if 3-4 are switched this year we have players who can play different positions... we saw how ollie like using daniels as the stretch 4 last year

Reaction Score
There is no "S" at the end of Terrence's name. TERRENCE SAMUEL.

There is no way that Omar starts over either Purvis or Samuel. Less than 1% chance and even that's generous. If he has improved his handle as dramatically as anyone has ever improved anything, ever, over that last 6 months, then maybe he plays the 3 over a frosh DH...but even that only upps the odds by such a tiny amount that it isn't really worth mentioning.

1. Boat
2. Purvis
3. D Ham
4. Facey
5. Brimah

6M- Samuel, or Phil

Reaction Score
Would not surprise me if OC was the starting three at the beginning of the season. Also KO could go with Nolan instead of AB.

Nolan or AB
Facey
OC or DH
Boat
RP

TS,Lubin and Cassell off the bench. I believe minutes will be distributed on how they are playing in that given game. That is something we have seen from KO.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
C-Brimah 6-11 220

F-Facey 6-9 210

GF Hamilton 6-8 180

G Calhoun 6-5 210

G-Boatright 5-11 175

6th man Rodney Purvis 6-3 200

C-Nolan 6-10 235

PF Rakim Lubin 6-8 245

PG Terrance Samuels 6-2 200

G Sam Cassell 6-3 180
If you have learned anything watching Ollie the last two years, there is no fn way that Omar is your secondary ball handler in any lineup. Here is my shot at it:

THE BIG LINEUP (I think this is how they start out the year)
C Brimah
PF Nolan (won't get the majority of the minutes though, Facey will, with Nolan getting the rest of it at Center)
SF Calhoun
SG Purvis
PG BoatShow

THE SMALL LINEUP (I think this is how they end the year)
C Nolan (Brimah will be getting the majority of the time by year end)
PF Facey (DHam will take this spot before year end though)
SF Calhoun
SG Purvis
PG BoatShow

OFF THE PINE
C/PF Brimah, then Facey, then Lubin
SF Dham
PG/SG TSam, then Cassell

Reaction Score
Hamilton is a really good ballhandler but I think you could be right--we won playing two PG's and sometimes 3. Purvis gives us that extra jet. I was kind of looking at size but he's big enough for sure. I put Facey slightly ahead of Lubin and Nolan as I think he is going to be something close to what DEandre Daniels is--a mobile 4. I have Hamilton in there at big 3rd G or SF but he'll have to earn that. Im keeping Nolan at back up C Brimah will still get in FT and we have no other guy who is 6-10 but Nolan. I can see them both getting around 20 minutes. with facey and Lubin also getting 20 minutes 4-5.

So maybe more like this

C-Brimah
F-Facey
G Hamilton
G Purvis
G Boatright

C-Nolan
F Lubin
F Calhoun
G Samuel
G Cassell

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
There is no "S" at the end of Terrence's name. TERRENCE SAMUEL.

There is no way that Omar starts over either Purvis or Samuel. Less than 1% chance and even that's generous. If he has improved his handle as dramatically as anyone has ever improved anything, ever, over that last 6 months, then maybe he plays the 3 over a frosh DH...but even that only upps the odds by such a tiny amount that it isn't really worth mentioning.

1. Boat
2. Purvis
3. D Ham
4. Facey
5. Brimah

6M- Samuel, or Phil
Easy. Easy. Deep breaths

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
5. Brimah
4. Nolan
3. Hamilton
2. Purvis
1. Boatright

• Terrence Samuel (6th man)
  • Kentan Facey
  • Omar Calhoun
  • Sam Cassell Jr.
  • Rakim Lubin
  • Pat Lenehan
Do we not have a 12th scholarship player?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Purvis and Boat' s ability to handle the ball will drive TSam and Cassell Jr's minutes this season. College bball necessitates two ball handlers.

Reaction Score
Lots of good stuff in this - thanks for all the thoughts, guys.

My burning questions are:
How much will Facey give right away? Probably a good amount.
How much will the Rock contribute? Complete unknown.
How good will DHam be out of the chute? Probably a good amount.

Those are the big ones. Other players are fairly known commodities. Brimah and Nolan will be improved versions of their 2014 selves. Boat will be at least as good as last year, and probably will be even better. TSam will pick up where he left off, and will be better.

The only big question mark is Calhoun.

I'm fascinated that several of you have him on your starting lineups. For him to go from no minutes to starter in 5 months will be quite a feat. If it happens, it will be a very good sign for us, because it will mean that Calhoun has rediscovered his form.

Let's hope!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

Those are the big ones. Other players are fairly known commodities. Brimah and Nolan will be improved versions of their 2014 selves. Boat will be at least as good as last year, and probably will be even better. TSam will pick up where he left off, and will be better.

I'm fascinated that several of you have him on your starting lineups. For him to go from no minutes to starter in 5 months will be quite a feat. If it happens, it will be a very good sign for us, because it will mean that Calhoun has rediscovered his form.

Let's hope!

The one thing I'm worried about is our lack of depth. We only have 4 frontcourt players: Brimah, Nolan, Facey, and Rock. 2 of those guys are huge question marks. Also, Brimah and Nolan's reliability will be tested as they'll likely play 25+ minutes each.

Reaction Score
Outlook:
I think this year we actually will have a bit of a shorter bench than usual. We go into the year with only 10 scholarship players, and Cassell/Lubin are truly unknowns. Perhaps one of those two carves out a 5-10 min niche, and I would bet on Cassell as a combo/shotmaker before I'd count on Lubin. I would love to lean on Calhoun for some minutes at the 3, but he is such a liability handling the ball that unless he carves out a role as a defender or finds his shot, he won't have a role.

With that said, I think we have a short bench this year, 7-8 deep. I think Brimah will show marked improvement, Facey will step into DeAndre's role much as DeAndre did as a sophomore, and Boat/Purvis/Hamilton play a ton of minutes at 1-3.

Starters

C - Brimah - 25 min, 8 pts, 6 reb, 2.5 blocks - I hope they establish his offense early in games, learns how to pick and choose his blocks better.

F - Facey - 25 min, 10 pts, 7 reb, 1.5 blocks -Like his upside and offensive potential. Think he slides right into the DeAndre role better than people expect, better rebounding numbers, lower offensive numbers

W - Hamilton - 30 min, 12 pts, 4 reb, 3 assists - I like his tape, no way he can handle minutes at the 4 like people have been saying. But he can handle, pass, is a big-time shooter, pretty good athlete for 6'6 or so. Think he has a Caron/RIP/BG type freshman year.

G - Purvis - 25 minutes, 14 pts, 4 reb, 3 assists - Ferrarri comes out of the shop humming. Should have some big-time games/plays.

G - Boat - 35 minutes, 16 pts, 4 reb, 5 assissts - This year is his chance. showed a lot of maturity(game + mentality) as the year wore on. deserves his shot.

Bench

6th - Samuel -
15 min, 6 pts, 2 assists - showed well last year in big minutes. Hope he has put about 1000 shots up per day. If he can get a mid-range pullup/spot-up 3 game working than his physicality will pose a real problem for teams.

Big - Nolan - 15 min, 4 pts, 4 rebs -for either spot. I see him off bench because low ceiling, high motor, good attitude, and versatile. Can play 4/5 defensively so allows for KO some flexibility, as opposed to Brimah/Facey who don't have that versatility.

TBD

Calhoun - Cant be in the game unless 3 G line-up or guarding a wing. just doesn't have handle. I could see a lineup where DHam proves his ball-handling early in the year and we see him slide to 2G and Calhoun @ Wing later in the year. Hope he regains his stroke!

Cassell - I think Cassell can be valuable right away in the way that freshman Shabazz was. poise, moxie, shotmaking.

Lubin - True unknown. hated his tape, looks like he's about 6'6. I'll take a wait and see, but for now looks like 5 hard fouls and some boards tome. Eric Hayward anyone?

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
i see omar starting at the 3, gives us size and outside threat... i'm acknowledging his not so good year last year and giving it a pass as he had surgery, struggled with injuries, and lost his spot to Giffey and Kromah... I do remember his freshmen year and how he played very well and think that he will be much much better this year

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Purvis and Boat will be starting no doubt. I think these too explosive guards will be on the same page and very entertaining on the break. Im leaving hamilton out on getting the start because I can see Calhoun turning things around and taking the 3 in the beginning of the season until Hamilton gets accustomed to the change. I have very little knowledge on Lubin besides that hes a big body. Im going to go with Facey as a smaller 4. I do think Brimah will be a better player then Nolan and will continue to improve every day but I will give Nolan the start for the beginning of the season (especially with Brimah being slightly behind due to surgery.

So

Boat- pg/sg
Purvis-pg/sg
Calhoun- sg/sf
Facey- sf/pf
Nolan-Center

Bench:
Brimah & Samuel first off the bench
Hamilton (split time with Omar but take over spot in the future)
Cassell (loads of confidence should get time with each guard and be a safe replacement)
Lubin( dont know enough)
Pat (drain a big three late when we smoke duke)

Reaction Score
Outlook: I think this year we actually will have a bit of a shorter bench than usual. We go into the year with only 10 scholarship players, and Cassell/Lubin are truly unknowns. Perhaps one of those two carves out a 5-10 min niche, and I would bet on Cassell as a combo/shotmaker before I'd count on Lubin. I would love to lean on Calhoun for some minutes at the 3, but he is such a liability handling the ball that unless he carves out a role as a defender or finds his shot, he won't have a role.

With that said, I think we have a short bench this year, 7-8 deep. I think Brimah will show marked improvement, Facey will step into DeAndre's role much as DeAndre did as a sophomore, and Boat/Purvis/Hamilton play a ton of minutes at 1-3.

Starters

C - Brimah - 25 min, 8 pts, 6 reb, 2.5 blocks - I hope they establish his offense early in games, learns how to pick and choose his blocks better.

F - Facey - 25 min, 10 pts, 7 reb, 1.5 blocks -Like his upside and offensive potential. Think he slides right into the DeAndre role better than people expect, better rebounding numbers, lower offensive numbers

W - Hamilton - 30 min, 12 pts, 4 reb, 3 assists - I like his tape, no way he can handle minutes at the 4 like people have been saying.

G - Purvis - 25 minutes, 14 pts, 4 reb, 3 assists - Ferrarri comes out of the shop humming. Should have some big-time games/plays.

G - Boat - 35 minutes, 16 pts, 4 reb, 5 assissts - This year is his chance. showed a lot of maturity(game + mentality) as the year wore on. deserves his shot.

Bench

6th - Samuel -
15 min, 6 pts, 2 assists - showed well last year in big minutes. Hope he has put about 1000 shots up per day. If he can get a mid-range pullup/spot-up 3 game working than his physicality will pose a real problem for teams.

Big - Nolan - 15 min, 4 pts, 4 rebs -for either spot. I see him off bench because low ceiling, high motor, good attitude, and versatile. Can play 4/5 defensively so allows for KO some flexibility, as opposed to Brimah/Facey who don't have that versatility.

TBD

Calhoun - Cant be in the game unless 3 G line-up or guarding a wing. just doesn't have handle. I could see a lineup where DHam proves his ball-handling early in the year and we see him slide to 2G and Calhoun @ Wing later in the year. Hope he regains his stroke!

Cassell - I think Cassell can be valuable right away in the way that freshman Shabazz was. poise, moxie, shotmaking.

Lubin - True unknown. hated his tape, looks like he's about 6'6. I'll take a wait and see, but for now looks like 5 hard fouls and some boards tome. Eric Hayward anyone?

Agree with Facey--remember Daniels was brutal his frshmen year Facey was actually much better in his spot minutes than Daniels was year 1. I disagree with Lubin he is my sleeper player for this year Whether he's 6-5 or 6-8 hes athletic powerful and gives us what we do not have. The one game that I watched him he looked very good. One strength this team will have is the ability to play 3 quick guards at all times yet we still have great length--especially with Hamilton as a 3rd G option. Our D will still be the cornerstone

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Agree with Facey--remember Daniels was brutal his frshmen year Facey was actually much better in his spot minutes than Daniels was year 1. I disagree with Lubin he is my sleeper player for this year Whether he's 6-5 or 6-8 hes athletic powerful and gives us what we do not have. The one game that I watched him he looked very good. One strength this team will have is the ability to play 3 quick guards at all times yet we still have great length--especially with Hamilton as a 3rd G option. Our D will still be the cornerstone

Yeah the thing is, if Lubin proves to Ollie that he knows the role of rebounding/ defensive intensity/ getting dirty, I can see Ollie giving him the spot. It will work well since hes a big body and defiantly motivate and toughen up our other guys to get on the boards when their in.

JonnyRI

Reaction Score

How much will Facey give right away?
Probably not a ton, but I think Ollie will give him the chance to fail first. Seems just too much between a 3 and 4...
How much will the Rock contribute?
At the start, probably very little. Freshmen at UConn under Ollie/Calhoun? Usually don't play much, and this guy isn't a top 25 recruit coming in, no many however comparisions this guy has had to Jesus Shuttleworth (don't get me wrong, I am a Lubin fan here)

How good will DHam be out of the chute?
Good to very good, but again, if you are not Ray Allen or Shabazz or the like, how much PT does UConn give to Freshmen? If he can end the year putting up 12ppg and 5 reb over the last 1/3 of the year (similar to Jeremy Lamb's freshman year), I would be more than thrilled....

JonnyRI

Reaction Score

Let's hope!

How much will Facey give right away?
Probably not a ton, but I think Ollie will give him the chance to fail first. Seems just too much between a 3 and 4...
How much will the Rock contribute?
At the start, probably very little. Freshmen at UConn under Ollie/Calhoun? Usually don't play much, and this guy isn't a top 25 recruit coming in, no many however comparisions this guy has had to Jesus Shuttleworth (don't get me wrong, I am a Lubin fan here)

How good will DHam be out of the chute?
Good to very good, but again, if you are not Ray Allen or Shabazz or the like, how much PT does UConn give to Freshmen? If he can end the year putting up 12ppg and 5 reb over the last 1/3 of the year (similar to Jeremy Lamb's freshman year), I would be more than thrilled....

Calhoun - he didn't seem like a bad player last year, just not someone how had it all together. If he can put up like he did his freshmen year plus just a little, you'd have to take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom