Starting 5 predictions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting 5 predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Knowing my limitations (zero basketball knowledge), I'll still take a shot at this anyway:

1). Someone new.
2). A foreign player.
3). A transfer.
4). A new guy who looked great in HS, but won't work out. He'll slowly become a bench warmer, then transfer.
5). Someone close to 7' tall.

There's probably a white guy in there somewhere, but I am not sure at what position. The white guy is usually tall, that much I know. So I'll guess he's either foreign, or just really tall. Maybe both.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
How we'll start:

Pg: boatright
Sg: purvis
Sf: Hamilton
Pf: Nolan
C: brima

How we'll finish:

Pg: boatright
Sg: purvis
Sf: Hamilton
Pf: Lubin
C: brima

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Knowing my limitations (zero basketball knowledge), I'll still take a shot at this anyway:

1). Someone new.
2). A foreign player.
3). A transfer.
4). A new guy who looked great in HS, but won't work out. He'll slowly become a bench warmer, then transfer.
5). Someone close to 7' tall.

There's probably a white guy in there somewhere, but I am not sure at what position. The white guy is usually tall, that much I know. So I'll guess he's either foreign, or just really tall. Maybe both.
Red headed and short. Smart as all hell. Fan favorite but not starting. That ended with Tyler and Neils.

caw

Reaction Score
First exhibition game:
Boat - Samuel
Cassell - Hamilton
Purvis - Calhoun
Facey - Lubin
Brimah - Nolan

I would start Hamilton but maybe not the first game.

Reaction Score
I think the starting 5 is set beyond PF (Boat, Purv, Dham and Amida). TSam is too valuable as a back up to Boat to start at SG.

I think Nolan starts the year at 4, but Facey ends up being the guy getting the most minuets.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Lots of options... Starters first, sub in (parenthesis). Very deep team. Ollie is TOUGH and has high expectations for this group.

Boat (Samuel)
Purvis (Cassell)
Hamilton (Calhoun)
Facey (Lubin)
Brimah (Nolan)

Reaction Score
PG=Boat
G Purvis
G Hamilton
F Facey
C Brimah

Facey makes sense at startingPF because he can do 4 things rebound play fast defend and shoot a 3. He will help create space by standing out on the 3 and can crash the offensive boards as they play develops.

Phil and Samuel are strategic back ups we only have 2 guys who can play C so it would be hard starting both.

Calhoun is a 2nd tier talent--he does not have the talent level of Hamilton

Lubin and Nolan unit 2 is nice

Samuel and Cassell make a very nice back up guard set.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Surprised so many people are automatically putting Brimah in over Nolan. It may well end up that way, but would not be at all shocked if Nolan starts at first.
Also so many people with the Nolan-Brimah combo. Seems unlikely to me.

Reaction Score
Surprised so many people are automatically putting Brimah in over Nolan. It may well end up that way, but would not be at all shocked if Nolan starts at first.
Also so many people with the Nolan-Brimah combo. Seems unlikely to me.

Did you see Brimah last night?

Dude is starting, and playing as many minutes as his foul rate allows.

Reaction Score
Boat - TSAM sub for energy/pace
Purvis - Cassell sub for shooting/2nd PG
DHam - Calhoun
Facey - Lubin sub for muscle/fouls
Brimah - Nolan sub for position defense, grit, fouls

Reaction Score
I think to start the year:

Boat
Purvis
Calhoun
Facey
Nolan

This isn't to say I think it's the best lineup. But in the past we've always had the older guys start in the beginning of the year until the younger guys earn their spots (I know Brimah has earned his spot, but I just see Nolan starting our first game over him).

Reaction Score
Either:

Boat, Purvis, Sam jr, DHam, Brimah -OR- Boat, Purvis, DHam, Phil and AB

Reaction Score
Brimah has been named captain. I'll be pretty shocked if he's not the starter.

Reaction Score
Most of us (including me) have had Purvis penciled in at the 2 spot ever since he came here. But based on what we're hearing don't be surprised if Cassell starts over him, or KO goes small and plays all 3 with Kentan at PF and Amida at C.

Reaction Score
Most of us (including me) have had Purvis penciled in at the 2 spot ever since he came here. But based on what we're hearing don't be surprised if Cassell starts over him, or KO goes small and plays all 3 with Kentan at PF and Amida at C.

If Sam Jr starts it will be a 3 guard lineup........there's a good chance for that too.

Reaction Score
The three guard lineup is a good change of pace lineup, but really, really unlikely to ever be the starting lineup - even last year, when we had probably the best 3 guards in the country to run one (and questions at the three even), how many times did we start the game with a three guard lineup? None, if my memory serves me right.

As far as Nolan and Brimah starting together - why would you? Are our options at the four that dire that a kid who has played center all his life will be switched to the four to play next to our only other, foul prone option at center? I just don't see it.

I feel like this board has collectively overlooked Facey in a huge way, and I also feel like I've spent so much time advocating for him to have a good year that I've started to speak with a slight Jamaican accent and I've been invited to the Facey household for Thanksgiving. I struggle to see why, if we have one player who seems like a good option at the stretch four and one who seems like a pretty decent backup option as a traditional PF we on this board keep trying to jam the square peg that is Nolan into the round hole that is the 4 position.

I think KO takes a page out of Calhoun's traditional starting lineups and begin the year with
Boat- Purvis - Calhoun - Facey - Nolan, and quickly transition to Boat - Purvis - Hamilton - Facey - Brimah as our starting five, assuming Hamilton is as good as advertised. Just my thoughts

Reaction Score
Purvis will be the best player on this team, he will be starting

U

UCONNfan1

Boat
Tsam
Calhoun
Facey
Brimah

Hope Calhoun and Samuel have monster years

Reaction Score
As far as Nolan and Brimah starting together - why would you? Are our options at the four that dire that a kid who has played center all his life will be switched to the four to play next to our only other, foul prone option at center? I just don't see it.

I think it's likely the Phil spells Amida at the pivot, but this isn't an accurate depiction of his career. He was recruited as a forward and has always been listed as a forward. He's playing out of position at the 5 more than he would be at the 4.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Check the final 4 games. Nolan was introduced as a forward.

Reaction Score
I would go with:
Boat(T-Sam)
Cassell (T-Sam/Calhoun)
Purvis (Hamilton/Calhoun)
Facey (Lubin)
Brimah (Nolan)

Brimah and Nolan at this point seem to be too foul prone and too critical to our interior defense to start together and risk both being in early foul trouble. In order to maximize both of their effectiveness i would assume that only one of them would start(Doesn't really matter which one that is)

Also after hearing what KO had to say about Samuel it sounds like he already has him penciled in as his sixth man to come in and up the tempo when the other team may be a little winded.

I would assume that Hamilton will eventually become a starter over the course of the season but it is very possible that KO could use D-Ham and T-Sam as 6th and 7th starters to fuel numerous runs 5-10 minutes into the game when they come in fresh and start getting buckets.

Overall just like past years the starting lineup doesn't necessarily matter because it is all about the substitutions made within the flow of the game that will truly make the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom