Start both Giffey and Kromah and other changes | The Boneyard

Start both Giffey and Kromah and other changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ollie spoke of making changes after todays game. I hope he starts both giffey and kromah - along with Bazz, Boat, and Nolan. Barring foul trouble I want Nolan to play a good 20 plus minutes. Too much shuffling of centers - Im done with Olander and Brimah just isnt ready for significant minutes. Kromah and Giffey are both better rebounders and defensive players than Daniels and should start at this point. Daniels needs a little fire lit underneath him. I dont want Daniels buried but let him try a 6th man role right now. I would also start giving Calhouns minutes to Samuel who is a much better defender and passer. And lets get some set plays to spring Giffey (who can actually catch the ball and make a shot) some looks.

Reaction Score
Until he changes their mindsets it ain't going to change much. Villanova played small ball in the Beastly Big East and did it well because they played hard, scrappy and tough. I just think its more attitude than talent, although some confidence would surely help.

Reaction Score
I would go with Boat, Bazz, Daniels, Giffey, Kromar... This leaves us with 4 perimeter players who can score from outside, possibly 5. We can spread out the defense and open up some lanes. Sure we will get out rebounded and we will have some matchup issues on defense, but we have that now. Nolan, Brimah, and Olander play terrible defense and we are not outrebounding anybody. They give us nothing offensively. At this point it is worth a shot and Harvard is not a huge team, they are a good team and this would be a good place to roll it out.

Reaction Score
How do you know Samuel is better?
Until he changes their mindsets it ain't going to change much. Villanova played small ball in the Beastly Big East and did it well because they played hard, scrappy and tough. I just think its more attitude than talent, although some confidence would surely help.

Nova could do it though b/c they had four guys on the court at any time who could really handle and create shots. Nardi and Lowry were pure points and Allen Ray and Foye were essentially combo guards. And, if I remember right, they had Sumpter who could handle it well and was a scorer and Dante Cunningham who was not inept with the ball. Giffey and Kromah are average to below average with their handles for a 3 and Daniels is below average for a 3. So we'd still have only two guys who are true triple threat threats, 2 1/2 b/c Kromah is ok in that regard but far from great. And on top of that, the Nova guys were all tough as nails. Other than Bazz and Boat we're pretty soft.

Reaction Score
How do you know Samuel is better?

Nova could do it though b/c they had four guys on the court at any time who could really handle and create shots. Nardi and Lowry were pure points and Allen Ray and Foye were essentially combo guards. And, if I remember right, they had Sumpter who could handle it well and was a scorer and Dante Cunningham who was not inept with the ball. Giffey and Kromah are average to below average with their handles for a 3 and Daniels is below average for a 3. So we'd still have only two guys who are true triple threat threats, 2 1/2 b/c Kromah is ok in that regard but far from great. And on top of that, the Nova guys were all tough as nails. Other than Bazz and Boat we're pretty soft.

I would add Kromah to the Bazz/Boat toughness…….Giffey was until the last 2…….

Reaction Score
Samuel is a point guard so he definitely has a better handle and passing skills than Omar. Ollie said in the beginning of the season that Samuel was one of his better on ball defenders.

Reaction Score
Samuel is a point guard so he definitely has a better handle and passing skills than Omar. Ollie said in the beginning of the season that Samuel was one of his better on ball defenders.

True, but he's a major liability offensively. Even in high school he was known as a passer and a guy who's offensive abilities lagged far behind. In his brief time, he has shown that he's not ready to contribute. He's basically Donnell Beverly.

Reaction Score
True, but he's a major liability offensively. Even in high school he was known as a passer and a guy who's offensive abilities lagged far behind. In his brief time, he has shown that he's not ready to contribute. He's basically Donnell Beverly.

Yeah but he's like DB when was a freshman too not when DB was a senior………that's a good comparison by the looks of things thus far! BUt DB could shoot it a little, TS looks like he has a toni of work to do from the perimeter to ever get there……you're right he is not ready. If he was he would be playing because I think he's a tough kid…...

Reaction Score
Samuel only would play like 12 minutes to give Boat or Bazz a breather (34 minutes each) - in that case it would be good to have a guy in there to distribute the ball. Our half court offense has been awful

Reaction Score
Nolan and Calhoun need to sit for a long time. Both are +s for the other team at this point. Daniels needs to sack up ASAP and Boatright needs to start passing off his drives.

This team needs open looks from 3. Bazz and Giffey and Daniels can bury those. But only if Bazz, Boatright and Kromah are finding shooters after penetration.

Reaction Score
Samuel only would play like 12 minutes to give Boat or Bazz a breather (34 minutes each) - in that case it would be good to have a guy in there to distribute the ball. Our half court offense has been awful

Can you imagine our half court offense with a PG who can't score in the game? He's not ready from what I saw and if he was he'd be given the shot I believe…….

Reaction Score
If not samuel then move Kromah to 2 guard when boat or bazz needs a break -I just dont see what Calhoun brings to the table at this point

Reaction Score
Can you imagine our half court offense with a PG who can't score in the game? He's not ready from what I saw and if he was he'd be given the shot I believe…….

I don't think it would be as bad as you imagine. Omar at this point is like the 6th man for the other team. Let Giffey, Bazz and Boatright come off screens. See if Samuel can make those passes.

Reaction Score
He can drive and dish and it keeps others off the court, which is a good thing.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
With that Nova team it was a lot more than just mindset...Lowry and Foye were physically very strong and very tough. I agree with the OP that TSamuel has the physical strength to play that kind of role. I would also add that perhaps LeonT should get more of a chance...6'8" 220 lbs, more muscular than all of our bigs other than TO, has international experience. When DD is playing well, he is clearly much better than LT but I don't think LT would forget to box out on free throws and he would be much more willing to scrap for loose balls. I'm not saying LT should be benched but give LT a shot.

A lineup of LT, KFacey, NG, LK and SN would be clearly less capable on the offensive end but defense and rebounding would be much improved.

Reaction Score
He can drive and dish and it keeps others off the court, which is a good thing.

But no defender would guard him; instead they'd play far off of him and dare him to shoot thus negating any penetration. It's the same thing teams did to Taliek, but Taliek was strong/quick/savvy enough to still make plays. Remember Taliek was a McD AA, Samuel was a borderline top 150 player. Again, as with Facey, there's a reason Samuel isn't playing. He is not the answer.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
huskyharry said:
With that Nova team it was a lot more than just mindset...Lowry and Foye were physically very strong and very tough. I agree with the OP that TSamuel has the physical strength to play that kind of role. I would also add that perhaps LeonT should get more of a chance...6'8" 220 lbs, more muscular than all of our bigs other than TO, has international experience. When DD is playing well, he is clearly much better than LT but I don't think LT would forget to box out on free throws and he would be much more willing to scrap for loose balls. I'm not saying LT should be benched but give LT a shot.

A lineup of LT, KFacey, NG, LK and SN would be clearly less capable on the offensive end but defense and rebounding would be much improved.

Leon definitely deserves s chance to play. Nobody else is doing anything at that position. Daniels is playing like a classic tweener. Not enough speed or handle to be an effective wing, nor enough strength and weight to battle inside. I had hoped he'd evolve into something more like Donyell.

Reaction Score

So you want two guys who have played a combined 79 minutes this year to be major parts of the rotation?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's getting real bad when many of the recommendations are to put in players that the coaches see in practice and can't hold a candle to the players we want to bench.

I've seen enough of Facey, Samuel, Tolksdorf to know they are not the answer. It's live or die with the hope OC can get out of his funk, NG can be more assertive and Nolan and DD can be like they were at the end of last season. I would love it if LK was a better outside and foul shooter, but that is unlikely to happen. TO is very situational and Brimah is too raw to give significant minutes.

But I don't want to get in the way of a Samuel, Facey, Tolksdorf, Brimah and Bazz/Ryan/Kromah,Giffey line up if people believe this is the solution to the problems.

Bench OC, DD and PN and let's see what happens. But we all know if that fails our *sses aren't the ones on the line.

Reaction Score
Too often when SN and RB are on the court together we do not defend the other guards well. I would put Samuels on the best opposing guard while Kromah defends the 3 or to give one of the guards a rest. Can Leon hit more shots than Calhoun? Why not find out? At center I'd play Nolan and Brimah and take TO out of the rotation. A lineup of SN, Giffey, Kromah, Facey and Nolan/Brimah might help with the rebounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom