Stanford vs Tenn Matchup Saturday 4:30 | The Boneyard

Stanford vs Tenn Matchup Saturday 4:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Im interested in the Tennessee/Stanford game. I think Stanford wins. Other than a young UNC team, this will be UT's first real test.

Louisville will beat Colorado by double digits if I had to guess.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Im interested in the Tennessee/Stanford game. I think Stanford wins. Other than a young UNC team, this will be UT's first real test..

It will be a huge disappointment for UTenn if they lose.
I don't see it, too much (implied) talent

Reaction Score
It will be a huge disappointment for UTenn if they lose.
I don't see it, too much (implied) talent

Hasn't been the case for the past five seasons? Hence you forgot to factor in the "great equalizer, that being coaching or lack there of. Conclusion: The LV's lose another game they should win based on talent alone.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Tenn has more talent and balance. Stanford has the better coaching and home court advantage. I think it will be close. Chiney and Orrange need to excel to get a win. If Chiney gets 19 and 9, they lose. She needs 25 and 12, at least. 30 and 20 would get a win, almost certainly.

Reaction Score
Tara will crowd the paint, denying drives and passes into the post. That will force Tenn to shoot over Stanford's size. When Tenn turns into a halfcourt jump shooting team they are vulnerable. I expect a good game.

Reaction Score
I will be there courtside. TN hasn't beaten Stanford at Maples in awhile, so they are due. TN is like many of their teams under Pat, not necessary great on O, but they win on athleticism, great O rebounding and good D. Stanford is too young and doesn't have enough help for Chiney. TN by 10.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I will be there courtside. TN hasn't beaten Stanford at Maples in awhile, so they are due. TN is like many of their teams under Pat, not necessary great on O, but they win on athleticism, great O rebounding and good D. Stanford is too young and doesn't have enough help for Chiney. TN by 10.
Ooh. You're more pessimistic than I. :)

Reaction Score
I think in years past Orrange has gotten the better of Massengale on the perimeter, but that will change this year. In addition to that, I think our front court as a whole will have the advantage. Past Ogwumike, they're pretty young and unpolished up front. I think the team has the right focus and mindset, but it will be a close game. I'm really disappointed that the only tv picking this up is the PAC 12 network.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think in years past Orrange has gotten the better of Massengale on the perimeter, but that will change this year. In addition to that, I think our front court as a whole will have the advantage. Past Ogwumike, they're pretty young and unpolished up front. I think the team has the right focus and mindset, but it will be a close game. I'm really disappointed that the only tv picking this up is the PAC 12 network.

Ugh...Pac-12 Network? It was bad enough when it was the only carrier of UConn-Oregon last year, and that wasn't a big-time matchup.

These are two very different teams who have played unfamiliar schedules. The only common opponent is Texas, whom Tennessee beat somewhat more convincingly in margin-of-victory terms. I do think Tennessee has more depth, but the homecourt makes some difference. Sagarin and Massey both have Stanford ranked slightly higher, so I'll go with the Cardinal. Really wish I could watch this.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
First 5 games 12-24 for 50%.

Last 5 games 6-22 for 27.3%.

Overall 19-47 for 40%.

She had 2 hot games in the first five games. 4-5 and 5-9. That's 9-14. For the rest? 10-33. 30%.

She shot 33% and 35% her first two years. Based on that, I believe she is going to end up around there by the end of the season. She is certainly in a downward trend from her hot start.

On the other hand, Orrange is 10-21 for 47.6%.

So where is that advantage?

Past Chiney I'd say that Tennessee has an advantage, but guess what. Chiney is playing. Kinda evens that out, don't you think?

Reaction Score
First 5 games 12-24 for 50%.

Last 5 games 6-22 for 27.3%.

Overall 19-47 for 40%.

She had 2 hot games in the first five games. 4-5 and 5-9. That's 9-14. For the rest? 10-33. 30%.

She shot 33% and 35% her first two years. Based on that, I believe she is going to end up around there by the end of the season. She is certainly in a downward trend from her hot start.

On the other hand, Orrange is 10-21 for 47.6%.

So where is that advantage?

Past Chiney I'd say that Tennessee has an advantage, but guess what. Chiney is playing. Kinda evens that out, don't you think?

I'm not quite sure that three point shooting percentages are the sole determine factor or the better player. Ariel's on ball defense is much better this year. Her assist totals are way up, and her general leadership is much better as well. In addition, she has been playing significantly fewer minutes in recent games to give Reynolds a chance at running the point some more. Not being in the flow of the game as much may have affected her percentages, which admittedly have suffered. However I'm confident in her because she has shot the ball the best whenever the team really needs it.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm not quite sure that three point shooting percentages are the sole determine factor or the better player. Ariel's on ball defense is much better this year. Her assist totals are way up, and her general leadership is much better as well. In addition, she has been playing significantly fewer minutes in recent games to give Reynolds a chance at running the point some more. Not being in the flow of the game as much may have affected her percentages, which admittedly have suffered. However I'm confident in her because she has shot the ball the best whenever the team really needs it.
I didn't say who was the better player. You mentioned an advantage on the perimeter. Doesn't look that way to me.

Yep, out of sorts because of lower minutes. Sorry, not buying that.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Okay, so UTenn beat the common opponent of Texas a little more convincingly, but the Vols were at home and the Cards were at Texas. Doesn't the locale usually make a difference and kind of negate the 14 vs 9 difference? If you give 4 points for court advantage, then Stanford actually won slightly more convincingly.

In the last two weeks both teams played top 25 teams, with UTenn playing Sags #17 Texas at home (Vols have had 8 straight games at home or on neutral court since Nov. 11. Just yow!), and Stanford playing Sags #11 Gonzaga at home. So two fairly comparable games, though Stanford had a higher rated opponent. UTenn had the 14 point win and Stanford won by 28. Double the margin against better team.

That may not mean anything and be an aberration, but Stanford seems to be decently set with a team that is gelling.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think if Simmons hits 14 or 15 of her 30 shots, UT wins. If she hits 10 or fewer, they lose. If neither, I dunno.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I think if Simmons hits 14 or 15 of her 30 shots, UT wins. If she hits 10 or fewer, they lose. If neither, I dunno.
Ah, you are thinking of last year's version of Simmons who pumped them at a 15 per game clip and would sometimes go off on shoot-abouts. The new, it-is-better-to-giveth-than-taketh Simmons is running at a more sedate 12 FGAs per game, though her 3-pt shooting has plummeted 10 points from last year's 36% rate to now only 26%. Not sure what's going on about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom