Stanford struggling against UCDavis | The Boneyard

Stanford struggling against UCDavis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Only a four point lead at halftime. What is going on with the Cardinal?

With every new Stanford struggle, UConn's loss becomes ever more mystifying.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
ed4ourgirls said:
Only a four point lead at halftime. What is going on with the Cardinal? With every new Stanford struggle, UConn's loss becomes ever more mystifying.
basically, the win over UConn has told us nothing about Stanford, whereas the loss to Stanford told us quite a bit about UConn. Geno is working to correct the latter, and I think is succeeding and will continue to do so.

Reaction Score
I don't think our loss to Stanford is that big of a deal, to be honest. It was our second game of the season for both teams. Our chemistry wasn't developed yet. Plus in big games, we tend to bring the other team's best. That night, Stanford was ready and brought their "A" game.

Reaction Score
If you've watched ESPNW's Geno Project, you've seen him say again that playing UConn is every team's national championship. And when he says that, they show the Stanford team jumping up and down after the game. Their big win, our course correction.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Our game against Stanford is indeed looking like one of the biggest anomalies of the season.

I thought the Cardinal might be really good. Every week, they look more mediocre.

They do not look good at all. It is an interesting comparison, seeing how UConn has stepped it up so well and the Cardinal falling apart.

(They did beat us only by 2 points...in overtime yet, so it wasn't a blow out win but still)

You have to wonder what the heck is going on on the left coast? This is not like Tara's teams of yore...

Reaction Score
The main reason we lost to Stanford is that our defense was horrible! There was no help defense and the guards of Stanford killed us with dribble penetration. Geno clearly worked hard on that and UConn is doing a much better job of communication on defense and recognizing where to move to to cover. If UConn and Stanford play again tomorrow i have little doubt that UConn wins by 20-30 points as Stanford is just not that good...

Reaction Score
I don't think our loss to Stanford is that big of a deal, to be honest. It was our second game of the season for both teams. Our chemistry wasn't developed yet. Plus in big games, we tend to bring the other team's best. That night, Stanford was ready and brought their "A" game.

I would go a step further and say the Stamford loss was a needed wake up call. Many many BYers and maybe some of the team felt plugging in Saniya at guard and Tuck up front with Stewie being unguardable and KML the number 1 WNBA pick would lead us to another unbeaten season. Oh and Stokes being the best center and of MoJett better than Lloyd of ND. I remember I posted a comment about developing team chemistry and I got a response that said Dr. Geno would take care of that in his lab. Optimism is healthy but always with an equal amount of realism.

Reaction Score

It can be a big deal if it tells us something about our team.

For example if we run into a rock fight NCAA game similar to BYU and A&M last year, will this team have the leadership and maturity to soldier through it? The Stanford game told me we might not. The good thing about the loss is they learned from it and hopefully corrected the problems. It certainly eliminated any feeling of invincibility or over confidence. But there is still at times a passive nature about this team that frightens me. Lack of vocal leadership on the court at times. Geno has spent his entire Geno Shows lamenting it. I would hate to see that be the reason we fail to win a title this year with all that talent.

Reaction Score
I would go a step further and say the Stamford loss was a needed wake up call. Many many BYers and maybe some of the team felt plugging in Saniya at guard and Tuck up front with Stewie being unguardable and KML the number 1 WNBA pick would lead us to another unbeaten season. Oh and Stokes being the best center and of MoJett better than Lloyd of ND. I remember I posted a comment about developing team chemistry and I got a response that said Dr. Geno would take care of that in his lab. Optimism is healthy but always with an equal amount of realism.

Yeah, and the loss at Stanford was also a wake up call. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I really hope we play Stanford in the tournament.

It will be sweet to avenge that fluke with a beat down.

Reaction Score
I was at the Stanford game. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Against us Lili Thompson looked all-world. Amber Orrange shredded our defense. Today, UC Davis pretty much packed it inside and cut off their drives. I can't recall Thompson ever driving to the basket. But the perimeter was open and Bonnie Samuelson set a career high with 30 on 6 threes. For most of the game Stanford was only up 4-7 points. A few breaks and UC Davis could have won. Unbelievable.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I really hope we play Stanford in the tournament.

It will be sweet to avenge that fluke with a beat down.
At the rate they're going, Stanford might not even be in the NCAAT.

Reaction Score
Our game against Stanford is indeed looking like one of the biggest anomalies of the season.
Of the decade perhaps.
In recent years, UConn's worst loss was to St. John's, a team that got a 3 seed in the tourney. Stanford will surely be worse than that.

Reaction Score
Obviously UConn didn't play well, but what the hell is going on with Stanford? They also played Texas tough, probably should have won as they were leading by 2 before TX hit a lay up at the buzzer to bring it to OT (plus Stanford missed some FT's to seal it). I can't believe their play has deteriorated this much, this fast.

Reaction Score
The main reason we lost to Stanford is that our defense was horrible! There was no help defense and the guards of Stanford killed us with dribble penetration. Geno clearly worked hard on that and UConn is doing a much better job of communication on defense and recognizing where to move to to cover. If UConn and Stanford play again tomorrow i have little doubt that UConn wins by 20-30 points as Stanford is just not that good...

This is spot on analysis. What's more, UCLA played exactly the same type of game as Stanford, with almost equally talented guards, and UConn stopped them cold. The improvement defensively has been remarkable. Stanford, in contrast, is a one-trick pony; once the video tape circulated (here's to you, Warner!), they became an easy team to prepare for.

Reaction Score
Of the decade perhaps.
In recent years, UConn's worst loss was to St. John's, a team that got a 3 seed in the tourney. Stanford will surely be worse than that.
There's a lot of time left in the season yet.

Reaction Score
As much as UConn blew out UCDavis, I thought the Aggies were a pretty decent team. Losing to Stanford by 12 is not bad, really. I think Davis will give some teams in its conference fits. Good coaching, great attitude.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I was at the Stanford game. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Against us Lili Thompson looked all-world. Amber Orrange shredded our defense. Today, UC Davis pretty much packed it inside and cut off their drives. I can't recall Thompson ever driving to the basket. But the perimeter was open and Bonnie Samuelson set a career high with 30 on 6 threes. For most of the game Stanford was only up 4-7 points. A few breaks and UC Davis could have won. Unbelievable.

I agree with Boreifs.

On this board, we have largely focused since Stanford on what that game taught the Huskies. Quite clearly, others playing Stanford have also learned from our loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom