Stanford loses to Santa Clara | The Boneyard

Stanford loses to Santa Clara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
At home.

Santa Clara had lost by 35 to Southern Cal and 45 to Washington.

They shot 31% from the floor and were 1-16 from three and still beat the Cardinal.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw that Stanford was trailing, but didn't think they would actually lose.

Santa Clara lost that badly to the Trojans and Huskies?! Hmm. Tara has some work to do.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think Tara is a terrific coach, but this already appears to be 25 full seasons played since the 1992 NC without another one....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stanford has had some great talent in Nicole Powell, Candice Wiggins, Jayne Appel, Kayla Pedersen, and the Ogwumike sisters. They have some nice players, but there seems to be a clear drop-off since Chiney left.

Reaction Score
26 TOs...hard to win when you don't take care of the ball

HGN

Reaction Score
There was a time when Stanford sold the idea of a great education and a chance to play championship basketball to recruits....But what I have been seeing and hearing is that the championship basketball part is no more.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
I was there and there was no energy on the floor, which told me they had a major letdown (or overconfidence) after beating #22 GW by over 20 points. Don't know how Geno keeps UConn motivated every game -- whatever he has, Tara needs it. OR players who ALWAYS want to crush the competition.

Reaction Score
Don't know how Geno keeps UConn motivated every game -- whatever he has, Tara needs it. OR players who ALWAYS want to crush the competition.

But we're not one of these teams that we get up a little bit and we relax. I don't have those kinds of players. We don't practice like that, and I don't coach like that. - Geno Auriemma

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought that the Cardinal might struggle with GWU, but not Santa Clara.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I know that WhatTheFreak early losses to really really weak teams like North Texas and Santa Clara are pretty much wiped from the slates of the teams by the time the Selection committee starts looking at the records of P5 teams in March. Stanford does not load up with an egregious amount of turkeys in Nov.-Dec., but you just can't afford to sleepwalk through the nose-wrinklers like UCs Davis, Santa Cruz, and upcoming Santa Barbara. If Stanford doesn't beat the Gauchos by 40+ now, Tara should seriously consider if it's time to start thinking about retirement before the team starts sliding into oblivion.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good points in the thread. I think Mil specifically mentioned there has been a drop off in talent since the O-sisters left. I'm not familiar with the ranking of their recruits, but Erica McCall was a top 10 kid right? And I think one of the Johnsons (Kaylee or Kailee) was a top 20 kid? Lili Thompson is good and they have an elder Samuelson in addition to Briana Roberson.

Not sure why they lost - well, it was the disastrous 3rd quarter where they were outscored 19-11. Stanford scoring by quarter - 8, 14, 11, 25. Whatever they did in Q4 they need to bottle it for an entire game. 22 points at half against Santa Clara? I feel badly for them and their fans. I like Stanford a lot...

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Good points in the thread. I think Mil specifically mentioned there has been a drop off in talent since the O-sisters left. I'm not familiar with the ranking of their recruits, but Erica McCall was a top 10 kid right? And I think one of the Johnsons (Kaylee or Kailee) was a top 20 kid? Lili Thompson is good and they have an elder Samuelson in addition to Briana Roberson.

Not sure why they lost - well, it was the disastrous 3rd quarter where they were outscored 19-11. Stanford scoring by quarter - 8, 14, 11, 25. Whatever they did in Q4 they need to bottle it for an entire game. 22 points at half against Santa Clara? I feel badly for them and their fans. I like Stanford a lot...
Probably some UConn flavored karma on that one... only explanation I have.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned turkeys: let's face it, it's a bad season for birds (inc. a certain Cardinal).

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Someone mentioned turkeys: let's face it, it's a bad season for birds (inc. a certain Cardinal).
That would work if their mascot was in reference to the bird... their unofficial mascot is actually a tree. The cardinal is in reference to the color. They actually have affiliation with the bird... I am either blowing your mind right now or just irritating you. I learned this during an interview with Chiney O. and Bria Hartley a couple of years ago.

Reaction Score
That would work if their mascot was in reference to the bird... their unofficial mascot is actually a tree. The cardinal is in reference to the color. They actually have affiliation with the bird... I am either blowing your mind right now or just irritating you. I learned this during an interview with Chiney O. and Bria Hartley a couple of years ago.

According to my wife, my mind is long since blown, but I do find this very interesting. It's one of a countless list of things that I don't know. Mea culpa.

Reaction Score
The coaching landscape has changed since Tara first began coaching. There is more parity in talent and coaching than their was. Coaches in WCBB are not just there because they could not get hired as men's coaches anymore. The game has caught up to Tara and the old school coaches of her era. Pat would have been in the same boat. It was beginning to show long before her illness forced her out.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think that is giving Tara a bad rap. The "triangle offense" is light years removed from the UT "dribble around for a while and then chuck one up and rebound like monsters" type of offense. Tara's recent problems seem to stem more from weak recruiting seasons than from a lack of strategy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I think Stanford has a number of ranked recruits, but the players I listed from the past were top 5 recruits. McCall was a McDonald's and WBCA AA and the Gatorade POY in California in 2013, so she has to be top 20. Kailee Johnson also was a McDonald's AA. Kaylee Johnson (very similar name) was the #30 recruit in her class and a 3x Gatorade POY. Brittany McPhee was the #25 player in her class and a 3x Gatorade POY. Karlie Samuelson was a WBCA AA. Sniezek was the #38 player in her class and the Gatorade POY in both basketball AND soccer. Lili Thompson was not a HS AA but is a pretty good player. They clearly have talent, but apparently no one on a par with Wiggins, Pedersen, Appel, Nneka, or Chiney. They have had at least one "alpha" player for most of the last decade, but apparently no one currently.

Reaction Score
I don't think Tara wanted to head to the Gulf Coast Showcase like this.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was there and there was no energy on the floor, which told me they had a major letdown (or overconfidence) after beating #22 GW by over 20 points. Don't know how Geno keeps UConn motivated every game -- whatever he has, Tara needs it. OR players who ALWAYS want to crush the competition.

The answer is an easy one. They simply were NOT motivated to play Santa Clara. I was at the UConn game last year in Maples Pavilion. I can tell you Stanford was extreamely motivated to ambush the Huskies, and knock them off of their preseason #1 perch. The energy in that area that night was unbelieable.

The crowd wanted a piece of UConn real bad. Tara did an excellent job of motivating her team into a frenzy before the game. It worked. Stanford never let up. They kept their foot on the gas (and UConn's throat) from tip to buzzer.

It was a great game for the Stanford faithful in attendance. They danced and reveled all the way back to their cars. For the UConn fans, we were in a state of shock, almost to the point of needing medical attention. :eek:

Texas came in 3 days later to bring them back to reality. I guess Stanford was still in a state of euphoria, and was not ready to play another game yet. Needless to say, they were not as motivated to play the longhorns as they were to play UConn.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The coaching landscape has changed since Tara first began coaching. There is more parity in talent and coaching than their was. Coaches in WCBB are not just there because they could not get hired as men's coaches anymore. The game has caught up to Tara and the old school coaches of her era. Pat would have been in the same boat. It was beginning to show long before her illness forced her out.
I think this is a complete miss judgment of Tara.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
I agree that the judgment of Tara above is way too harsh, but she probably is getting very frustrated. Tara remains focused with strong game strategies and her in-game adjustments excellent. They just didn't work this time in my opinion for reasons beyond her control. Key will be whether the team wakes up in its next few games, but I expect at least one change to the starting lineup.

In the long run, they definitely have been hurt by recruiting; with the academic standards through the roof, they often can't admit the players they want the most. Just look at some of the sparkplugs on Duke and UCLA, for example, as evidence - my impression is Lambert, Billings and Canada may fall into this category. Perhaps they could use new blood for some coaching or recruiting (e.g., I have heard Nicole Powell, a Stanford alum, is doing a great job for Oregon).

Either way, they have a close team and while they don't get one star, one could argue that makes everyone need to take charge and not depend on a Chiney, for example, which can also reap team benefits if you have the right personnel and drive within those players. I should add that Kailee Johnson mentioned above has been injured and out the last 1+ years. She once again was in street clothes this week.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Stanford has really declined in the last 2 seasons; I wonder if Tara is about to retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom