Spring Practice (Post Break) Up and Running... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Spring Practice (Post Break) Up and Running...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think it is a question of valuing redshirts. Levenberry in all likelihood will not be granted the waiver. Anyone know what the waiver would be for? I don't recall the reason was given.

Redshirts are most useful IMO to develop during freshman year. A redshirt after that a normally by mistake. Jimbo Fisher determined that this kid was field ready when he got to Tallahassee, but given a new environment and strategy, I'd like him to get on the field as soon as he is ready. Whether that is 2015 (if the waiver is granted) or 2016 is best left up to better football minds than mine.

I'm saying usually I'd be with the others and build for 2017 - but in this case I think they need wins against Army and Villanova and anything helps.

I wasn't trying to imply that the staff is making any kind of choice here.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm saying usually I'd be with the others and build for 2017 - but in this case I think they need wins against Army and Villanova and anything helps.
I agree with you. I value redshirts as well, but this is not the typically sit-out-a-year-to-develop redshirt. This would be a transfer season. My perception of Sky ball's comment was that he thought Jimmy Serrano wanted Levenberry to redshirt regardless.

I don't mind redshirting players if they are not ready, but that typically applies to the trenches. A tackle can be 260 in high school and maul his opponent with sheer force...not so much in college and it takes more than a summer to gain 40 lbs. (75% of it muscle) naturally and develop the appropriate technique. IMO, the further a player is from the ball, the less necessary a redshirt freshman year. At those positions it becomes a numbers game. If juniors and seniors dominate the top of the depth chart, it only makes sense to buy a freshman who won't crack the two-deep another year.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Levenberry will not be available this year. Getting a waiver from the NCAA is incredibly difficult and I just don't see it happening. But I do agree that we need the best available players on the field ASAP to turn this around sooner rather than later. OL and pocket throwing QBs are probably the two positions that I tend to think need a redshirt above all others. I'm guessing we'll see a fair share of true FR hit the field again in 2015 and that will bode well for 2016-17 with Levenberry as our ILB anchor.

Reaction Score
If Levenberry gets the waiver I'll eat my hat. He played last year (2014) at FSU. He enrolled somewhere else this semester. I can't imagine a scenario that would allow him to play this year.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
If Levenberry gets the waiver I'll eat my hat. He played last year (2014) at FSU. He enrolled somewhere else this semester. I can't imagine a scenario that would allow him to play this year.

I would open up a huge loophole. Play in fall, transfer to Juco in spring, transfer back to FBS the following fall. Even if it wasn't prohibited, it wouldn't be allowed.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I would open up a huge loophole. Play in fall, transfer to Juco in spring, transfer back to FBS the following fall. Even if it wasn't prohibited, it wouldn't be allowed.
I'll give you a like if you do the same for my post at 9:58!!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom