Spring Practice (Post Break) Up and Running... | The Boneyard

Spring Practice (Post Break) Up and Running...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
desmondconner 10:04am via Instagram
#UConnFootball got right into 11 on 11 first day of spring practice after spring break... https://instagram.com/p/0kqmAjpzTB/

NHRJimFuller 10:05am via Tout Industries
#UConn football team hits field for spring practice No. 5 http://www.tout.com/m/n2hnzi?ref=twewo2qf
(link takes you to all video)

NHRJimFuller 10:05am via Tout Industries
UConn defensive line go through drills http://www.tout.com/m/n2hnzi?ref=twewo2qf

NHRJimFuller 10:06am via Tout Industries
UConn's quarterbacks and running backs work together during spring drills http://www.tout.com/m/n2hnzi?ref=twewo2qf

NHRJimFuller 10:06am via Tout Industries
UConn linebackers get to work in spring practice http://www.tout.com/m/n2hnzi?ref=twewo2qf

desmondconner 10:08am via Instagram
#UConnFootball crashin and bangin this morning at spring practice https://instagram.com/p/0krGXOpzT4/

NHRJimFuller 10:16am via TweetDeck
#UConn incoming freshman Aaron McLean and former DL B.J. McBryde among visitors at #UConn's spring practice today

desmondconner 10:16am via iOS
#UConnFootball DT Julian Campenni looks like s boss.. pic.twitter.com/Zs9gmpRUAk

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Random tweets from post practice press conf:

desmondconner 11:58am via TweetDeck
Diaco: Went straight to 11 in 11 "it's a speed drill we do more than contact, more about speed, etc."

NHRJimFuller 11:59am via TweetDeck
#UConn coach Bob Diaco said he is "Really pleased" with what Matt Walsh looks like at linebacker

desmondconner 12:00pm via TweetDeck
Diaco on QB: It's looked good, pleased with battle, that group will get bigger in summer." #UConnFootball

MattSchonvisky 12:01pm via Twitter Web Client
"Have seen separation at QB" Diaco

desmondconner 12:04pm via TweetDeck
Diaco: "We'll name a starter at QB after spring. if he gets beat out in [preseason] camp, he gets beat out."

NHRJimFuller 12:06pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco said senior tight end Sean McQuillan has made remarkable transformation and setting himself up for great future

NHRJimFuller 12:08pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco said although S Obi Melifonwu wears yellow (injury) shirt, he is 100 percent

desmondconner 12:12pm via TweetDeck
Diaco on K Bobby Puyol "in a more comfortable place than last year." Was overanalyzing in 2014

MattSchonvisky 12:13pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco went into great detail on Shirreffs ability to throw on the run, outside the pocket, down the field.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
desmondconner 12:17pm via TweetDeck
Diaco on Levenberry #FSU transfer: National recruit, he was top 3, or 5 in country, ..big,..quintenssenial in our system, he's fast #UConn

desmondconner 12:17pm via TweetDeck
Diaco on #FSU transfer Levenberry: He's going to add to the culture"

desmondconner 12:19pm via TweetDeck
Diaco said he's not sure if Levenberry can get eligible this year but I'm hearing it's a longshot #UConnFootball

NHRJimFuller 12:21pm via Tout Industries
UConn's Bob Diaco on FSU transfer EJ Levenberry http://www.tout.com/m/u20wva?ref=twqek2ep

Reaction Score
Hate to be negative here, but if a guy who transferred closer to home so his cancer-ridden father could watch him play can't get a hardship waiver, then a guy who spent 2 months in community college after playing 2 consecutive seasons isn't going to get one either.

We'll see Levenberry next year, the media may as well focus on the guys we know are going to be available.

Reaction Score
Hate to be negative here, but if a guy who transferred closer to home so his cancer-ridden father could watch him play can't get a hardship waiver, then a guy who spent 2 months in community college after playing 2 consecutive seasons isn't going to get one either.

We'll see Levenberry next year, the media may as well focus on the guys we know are going to be available.

I'd actually rather have Levenberry sit this year. I don't see us going bowling with or without him, so we might as well have him for 2017.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'd actually rather have Levenberry sit this year. I don't see us going bowling with or without him, so we might as well have him for 2017.
And if UConn does make a bowl, it make the defense in 2016 and 2017 that much more formidable.

Reaction Score
don't want to see Levenberry in 2015... Let him get a little more acclamated to the school/football culture in Storrs behind the scenes, then burst on the scene in 2016.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Unlike others, I'd like to see Levenberry as soon as possible. I don't enjoy playing for the future. I want the best possible team out there as soon as possible, especially knowing how critical football is to our entire athletics department future.

Also, I might be reading too much into the tweets, but it sounds to me as though Shirreffs is the one to beat at this point. And to me, that's a good sign...

Reaction Score
Then let's Redshirt EVERYONE that has not redshirted yet for NEXT year..GEEZ

Husky25

Reaction Score
Then let's Redshirt EVERYONE that has not redshirted yet for NEXT year..GEEZ

Levenberry is a transfer. Transfers typically sit out a year. They are applying for a waiver, but realistically probably won't get it. Jimmy and Tuck are playing the odds.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Unlike others, I'd like to see Levenberry as soon as possible. I don't enjoy playing for the future. I want the best possible team out there as soon as possible, especially knowing how critical football is to our entire athletics department future.

Also, I might be reading too much into the tweets, but it sounds to me as though Shirreffs is the one to beat at this point. And to me, that's a good sign...

I'm with you. I value redshirting more than the last two staffs but this is a huge year.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm with you. I value redshirting more than the last two staffs but this is a huge year.

I don't think it is a question of valuing redshirts. Levenberry in all likelihood will not be granted the waiver. Anyone know what the waiver would be for? I don't recall the reason was given.

Redshirts are most useful IMO to develop during freshman year. A redshirt after that a normally by mistake. Jimbo Fisher determined that this kid was field ready when he got to Tallahassee, but given a new environment and strategy, I'd like him to get on the field as soon as he is ready. Whether that is 2015 (if the waiver is granted) or 2016 is best left up to better football minds than mine.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
I don't think it is a question of valuing redshirts. Levenberry in all likelihood will not be granted the waiver. Anyone know what the waiver would be for? I don't recall the reason was given.

Redshirts are most useful IMO to develop during freshman year. A redshirt after that a normally by mistake. Jimbo Fisher determined that this kid was field ready when he got to Tallahassee, but given a new environment and strategy, I'd like him to get on the field as soon as he is ready. Whether that is 2015 (if the waiver is granted) or 2016 is best left up to better football minds than mine.

You are allowed to play right away from JUCO. The kid enrolled at Juco from FSU before coming here. The question is does the year off for moving BCS to BCS still apply. That's what the waiver would be though it's not really a waiver, more of a clarification.

My guess is that if you play FBS, you can't play for another FBS within the same calendar year regardless of the route one takes to get there.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You are allowed to play right away from JUCO. The kid enrolled at Juco from FSU before coming here. The question is does the year off for moving BCS to BCS still apply. That's what the waiver would be though it's not really a waiver, more of a clarification.

My guess is that if you play FBS, you can't play for another FBS within the same calendar year regardless of the route one takes to get there.
How long was he in JUCO? He played for FSU in 2014 right? This is a slippery slope. Levenberry was in the 2013 recruiting class and played 2 seasons at FSU (25 games I think I read somewhere). If all that is required is a transfer to a JUCO for the spring semester, and obtain a non-hardship waiver to be able to play in consecutive seasons at different schools, it would establish a bad precedent against the NCAA.

I don't expect Levenberry to be declared eligible. I also don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom