Spring Football | The Boneyard

Spring Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
did it happen this year? I saw a couple of preview articles followed by complete silence. No news? How are the QBs performing? Who is starting?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think they started then took this week off for spring break. Hopefully we get some kind of news this week.

Reaction Score
I don't remember a year in which there has been no news about Spring practice, other than the first day.The silence is deafening.

Reaction Score
I don't remember a year in which there has been no news about Spring practice, other than the first day.The silence is deafening.

Many haven't even been on campus... they are heading back today. Practice starts up again tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I do miss the days when the media was allowed to cover practices and actually blog or tweet from them.

Toward the end of Edsall's tenure he cut back on it and it hasn't been the same since.

Reaction Score
did it happen this year? I saw a couple of preview articles followed by complete silence. No news? How are the QBs performing? Who is starting?
Questioned a couple of press peeps on this last week. The reply was Diaco's decision. They are not given access.

Reaction Score
Looks like beatwriter Jim Fuller's getting a quick glimpse at practice this morning

Jim Fuller @NHRJimFuller · 32m 32 minutes ago Decided to beat traffic for #UConn game so I'm here a little earlier. Guess I'll check out spring football practice while I'm here

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I tend to agree. UConn needs to sell tickets and generate interest. Shutting down practice news/highlights means no press and that means no interest. Spring practice is a time for optimism much like baseball spring training...why not pump the press full of excited optimism??

While I do see the merits in keeping a Fort Knox approach to team management similar to Bill Belichick, the difference between the Patriots and UConn is tens of thousands of people on season ticket waiting lists. UConn is stuck in that gray area of desperately needing to win games and desperately needing to sell tickets. I respect any coach's opinion/approach with the media that keeping a tight lip will translate into greater success. But at the same time, the Rent will be lucky to have 20K in the stands for the Nova and Army games. That is no bueno either.

Reaction Score
Here is the access as it was laid out by Dez before the spring sessions started

Practice #1 – Saturday, March 7 – Media, video and photo access for first 20 minutes; Coach Verducci, Coach Poindexter and Coach Diaco available in defensive meeting room following practice.

Practice #5 – Monday, March 23 -- Media, video and photo access for first 20 minutes; interview session with Coach Bob Diaco and selected players to follow in defensive meeting room.

Practice #8 –Friday, March 27 – Media, video and photo access for first 20 minutes; interview session with Coach Brown, Coach Cummings, Coach Bob Diaco to follow in defensive meeting room.

Practice #11 – Wednesday, April 1 – Dog House Party (time TBA but in evening), media access during open to student portion with interviews with Coach Bob Diaco and selected players to follow in defensive meeting room.

Wednesday, April 8 -- Media Luncheon With Coaching Staff at Noon, Burton Family Football Complex cafeteria.

Saturday, April 11 – 2015 UConn Blue-White Spring Football Game, 3:00 p.m. at Rentschler Field.​

I guess the debate is should they be allowed at every practice for the whole practice? 4 out of 15 seems light. I think a few more dates would be a sweet spot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I tend to agree. UConn needs to sell tickets and generate interest. Shutting down practice news/highlights means no press and that means no interest. Spring practice is a time for optimism much like baseball spring training...why not pump the press full of excited optimism??

While I do see the merits in keeping a Fort Knox approach to team management similar to Bill Belichick, the difference between the Patriots and UConn is tens of thousands of people on season ticket waiting lists. UConn is stuck in that gray area of desperately needing to win games and desperately needing to sell tickets. I respect any coach's opinion/approach with the media that keeping a tight lip will translate into greater success. But at the same time, the Rent will be lucky to have 20K in the stands for the Nova and Army games. That is no bueno either.

You really think media access in March is going to affect attendance in September?

The people that are 12 years and counting invested in tailgating and football games at Rentschler are the people that are going to come in September, and they aren't going to be affected by the lack of media now, and UCONN athletic department should consider itself blessed to have over 20k for Villanova after the last season coming on the heels of the Pasqualoni debacle of 2013. Army and Navy will draw because they are Army and Navy. Come November and December? We saw it last year. No reason it's going to change, until the wins start coming.

and you know what? I can't speak for anyone else but for me it's a relief, because I would pay attention otherwise to extensive media coverage, and it would just annoy me based on the results of the last season.

You know what will generate interest and start selling tickets beyond the hardcore fan base? Winning the damn games.

Reaction Score
You know what will generate interest and start selling tickets beyond the hardcore fan base? Winning the damn games.

Yup... Can't put that type of bulls**t effort on the field the way we did last year... just ain't cuttin it... Gotta show marked improvement... I'm cautiously optomistic we will... it'd be a coup if we're bowl eligible come late November...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
You really think media access in March is going to affect attendance in September?

The people that are 12 years and counting invested in tailgating and football games at Rentschler are the people that are going to come in September, and they aren't going to be affected by the lack of media now, and UCONN athletic department should consider itself blessed to have over 20k for Villanova after the last season coming on the heels of the Pasqualoni debacle of 2013. Army and Navy will draw because they are Army and Navy. Come November and December? We saw it last year. No reason it's going to change, until the wins start coming.

and you know what? I can't speak for anyone else but for me it's a relief, because I would pay attention otherwise to extensive media coverage, and it would just annoy me based on the results of the last season.

When do season tickets go on sale? DOn't you think a little press before that happens would be a good idea?

And I'm not talking about the diehards like you, me, whaler, Biz, Jimmy, and the dozens of posters here who are at every game sun, snow or rain. I'm talking about the casual scoreboard crowd that double fists Bud Lights and chats with their buddies during the games while packing on a steep buzz. I'm talking about the +1s, +2s, +3s that us season ticket holders used to be able to bring with us to games. I'm talking about Pops Greater Hartford who wants to take his son(s)/daughter(s) to some live sporting events on fall weekends. I'm talking about Mr and Mrs Gold Coast who are looking for entertainment options to spend money until basketball season starts. I'm talking to the scores of basketball posters over on the hoops board complaining about how AAC affiliation is crushing our program and how we should beg another mid-major conference for entry to improve things.

Yes, winning cures all. But we're not winning right now and we still need to sell tickets. UConn doesn't stop putting tickets up for sale when we lose. And no, it's not the media's job to sell the tickets. But a few pump up pieces here and there throughout spring practice certainly couldn't hurt.

"Hey down-in-your-dumps hoops fan, still upset about UConn losing to SMU? Well take a look at some of these giants the football program has signed and sealed for next year. Think they could help out on the glass? Get a sneak peak at a few of them on April 11th. The entire day can be free for you and all of your friends and family."

"Hey Johnny NFL Connecticut fan, did you see Byron Jones jump out of the gym? Hot holy moly is that draft stock soaring. Will your Giants/Patriots/Jets/Cowboys/Raiders (BNich that is for you) draft him? Wanna know who the next athletic beasts on the team are for future NFL drafts?"

"Hey Women's Hoops fan, everyone loves a winner, eh? Speaking of winning, did you hear about our newest transfer? Comes from Florida State. Read why he chose to come to UConn over these other behemoth programs and how it could accelerate the rebuild process here."

"Hey Bobby Beerdrinker, how's would you like an extra hour to slug down a few extra CL Smooths this fall? Read all about that here."

Point is: you need to generate interest to try to move tickets now and after we start winning. The worst thing in the world would be winning 9 games and only the diehards in the stadium to see it. It's not as easy as sounding off a horn in the state when we win again and all of the casual +1s will come running back. The program needs to keep the fanbase, diehard and casual, engaged and connected as possible. So that when we do win again, the "Welcome Back" mats can be put back ASAP.

Reaction Score
Yup... Can't put that type of bulls**t effort on the field the way we did last year... just ain't cuttin it... Gotta show marked improvement... I'm cautiously optomistic we will... it'd be a coup if we're bowl eligible come late November...
Every new season I'm optimistic,and every year end I'm disgustedly disappointed. You would think the odds would start favoring me eventually. They have to !!!!! :D

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Every new season I'm optimistic,and every year end I'm disgustedly disappointed. You would think the odds would start favoring me eventually. They have to !!!!! :D

It's like being a Chicago Cubs fan.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that being a Cubs fan is fair to Cubs fans.
My wife's a Cubs fan and she is used to it. She is excited for the young players they got though. I told her to keep dreaming but you never know. I'm a Brewers fan though so it isn't much better! :(

Reaction Score
UCFBfan said:
My wife's a Cubs fan and she is used to it. She is excited for the young players they got though. I told her to keep dreaming but you never know. I'm a Brewers fan though so it isn't much better! :(
As a Dodgers fan, I'm still hanging onto Kirk Gibson's home run in game 1 of the 88 series. Ok that was once in a lifetime priceless. Sorry Cubs fans.

Reaction Score
As a Dodgers fan, I'm still hanging onto Kirk Gibson's home run in game 1 of the 88 series. Ok that was once in a lifetime priceless. Sorry Cubs fans.
Let's see what madden does

Reaction Score
This is why we are better than Rutgers.

We have a VERY entitled spoiled fanbase. Cubs Fans? You are freaking ridiculous. PP + 1 Diaco does not even come close to the 6 Terry Shea & firsr 3 Schiano. From 2003 to the Fiesta Bowl, you got an amazing run ... For a Program that moved from Trailers.

As for the OP point, I agree. Plus we are down from MBB. Just win in September ... Including games that you're not supposed to win.

Reaction Score
University of New Jersey. Their only reprise to relevance is trying to live by a name that sounds parochial. It's the University of New Jersey.

Reaction Score
Cubs fans and non Cubs fans alike still go to Wrigley when the Cubs are down.

For me, it's tied for the best stadium in baseball. The other being Fenway and I am a Yankee fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom