Sox sign Napoli | The Boneyard

Sox sign Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
3/39mm. Will primarily play 1B. Pretty good pickup based upon what is out there.

Reaction Score
3/39mm. Will primarily play 1B. Pretty good pickup based upon what is out there.

Awful defensively but has power....amazing where baseball is guys like Napoli 13m and Pagon 10M?? Yikes...............

Reaction Score
Awful defensively but has power....amazing where baseball is guys like Napoli 13m and Pagon 10M?? Yikes...............
Does seem like a lot of money for someone who is probably better suited to a DH role. He does hit for power and has a pretty good OBP. I see him playing mostly first base and occasionally catcher. Generally speaking I think the importance of the position of first base is undervalued. When you have a good one suddenly the whole infield seems better. When you have a bad one, you start thinking that something is wrong with the shortstop, third baseman and second baseman. I have always felt that Edgar Renteria got a bad deal when the Red Sox signed him in 2005. Kevin Millar was the first baseman at the time. Edgar had 30 errors that year and a lot of them were throwing errors. The year before with St. Louis and the year after with Atlanta, he was a much better fielder. The popular belief was that he just couldn't handle the Boston market. Could it have been that Kevin couldn't catch the ball??

Reaction Score
Does seem like a lot of money for someone who is probably better suited to a DH role. He does hit for power and has a pretty good OBP. I see him playing mostly first base and occasionally catcher. Generally speaking I think the importance of the position of first base is undervalued. When you have a good one suddenly the whole infield seems better. When you have a bad one, you start thinking that something is wrong with the shortstop, third baseman and second baseman. I have always felt that Edgar Renteria got a bad deal when the Red Sox signed him in 2005. Kevin Millar was the first baseman at the time. Edgar had 30 errors that year and a lot of them were throwing errors. The year before with St. Louis and the year after with Atlanta, he was a much better fielder. The popular belief was that he just couldn't handle the Boston market. Could it have been that Kevin couldn't catch the ball??
There just isn't much out there and I'm glad the Sox passed on Laroach. Rentaria choked in Boston plain and simple and was one of the worse signings ever.
Napoli will help with his bat. Replacing Gonzalez isn't possible but they needed right handed power in the lineup. Maybe if Napoli plays 1B from the start of spring training he will improve enough to be average. He has played very little 1B to this point in his career. Hey we always have that vacuum David Ortiz if he doesn't work out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have always felt that Edgar Renteria got a bad deal when the Red Sox signed him in 2005.

Renteria blew chunks. But I hate this signing. For that about that money they could have kept VMart. And how about that comment the Naopli will be a Millar like presence in the locker room? Talk about horse***t.

Reaction Score
There just isn't much out there and I'm glad the Sox passed on Laroach. Rentaria choked in Boston plain and simple and was one of the worse signings ever.
Napoli will help with his bat. Replacing Gonzalez isn't possible but they needed right handed power in the lineup. Maybe if Napoli plays 1B from the start of spring training he will improve enough to be average. He has played very little 1B to this point in his career. Hey we always have that vacuum David Ortiz if he doesn't work out.
I guess I still don't understand why everyone was so down on Edgar Rentaria. He hit .276 with a good OBP and scored 100 runs in his one year for the Sox. He feasted on the Yankees too. He did make a lot of errors but he was throwing to Kevin Millar. The following year Edgar Gonzalez was the shortstop and he made only 7 errors while throwing to Kevin Youkilis. But he hit only .255. The dumbest thing the Sox did was give Rentaria away for almost nothing. They sent Edgar and cash to Atlanta for Andy Marte who is out of baseball now. Edgar went on to hit .293 and .322 for the Braves and was MVP of the 2010 World Series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom