Sox get an outfielder. | The Boneyard

Sox get an outfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes. Searching for anything. Nava has been awful, Victorino is always hurt, JBJ can't hit, Castillo is awful.

Castillo is a ridiculous signing, worse than Panda, Porcello or Hanley. $10m+ for a guy who is a corner OF that looks like he will never hit for power and at best be a .220 singles hitter. JBJ can give you that for a fraction.

And he hits under .200. Just what they need. Cherington is an idiot.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yes. Searching for anything. Nava has been awful, Victorino is always hurt, JBJ can't hit, Castillo is awful.

Castillo is a ridiculous signing, worse than Panda, Porcello or Hanley. $10m+ for a guy who is a corner OF that looks like he will never hit for power and at best be a .220 singles hitter. JBJ can give you that for a fraction.

I'm not making that judgement on <50 ABs. But you do you.

Reaction Score
Imagine how bad Castillo was before he started using whatever it is to become Might Mouse? :rolleyes:

On the other side ERod looks like the real deal and the teams in front of you guys all blow too!

Reaction Score
He's 27 and they are paying him $10m+, they expect him to produce now. As a comparison, in Ichiro's 1st season, same age, he hit .350 with 240+ hits.

I would just play him there now, if Victorino ever comes back feature Vic a little and get whatever you can at the trade deadline.

I'm not making that judgement on <50 ABs. But you do you.

Reaction Score
I think it may too early to give up on Castillo. I went to a game a Pawtucket three weeks ago and he had a double off the wall, a home run to right and a home run to left. Plus he made a great play in center field. I know that Pawtucket is not Fenway but we should give him some time. But I do agree that Ben Cherington has made a lot of bad decisions. Another bad one would be giving up a Rusney.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
He's 27 and they are paying him $10m+, they expect him to produce now. As a comparison, in Ichiro's 1st season, same age, he hit .350 with 240+ hits.

I would just play him there now, if Victorino ever comes back feature Vic a little and get whatever you can at the trade deadline.

Ichiro is perhaps the most successful player to ever come to MLB from a foreign professional league. Setting him as a baseline expectation is preposterous. Additionally, NPB is the professional league with the highest quality of play outside of MLB. Expecting someone coming out of the Cuban Serie Nacional to hit .350 in his rookie year is just ridiculous. Cherington may have an iffy track record as of late, but I'd prefer him to you as our GM.

Reaction Score
I only compare based on age. They pay Castillo $10mm/year, they are not waiting 2-3 years like he's Betts or JBJ. If Betts is the CF you need a corner OF to hit with power. Maybe he will with enough ABs. Right now the signing looks like a total bust. He's below Betts, Vic, Holt, Hanley and even Nava.

Ichiro is perhaps the most successful player to ever come to MLB from a foreign professional league. Setting him as a baseline expectation is preposterous. Additionally, NPB is the professional league with the highest quality of play outside of MLB. Expecting someone coming out of the Cuban Serie Nacional to hit .350 in his rookie year is just ridiculous. Cherington may have an iffy track record as of late, but I'd prefer him to you as our GM.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I only compare based on age. They pay Castillo $10mm/year, they are not waiting 2-3 years like he's Betts or JBJ. If Betts is the CF you need a corner OF to hit with power. Maybe he will with enough ABs. Right now the signing looks like a total bust. He's below Betts, Vic, Holt, Hanley and even Nava.

I don't care, I'm giving him more time. I don't trust your talent evaluation ability.

Reaction Score
The more I think about it, he's a corner OF and getting paid $10m a year. He should get you 20 HRs and 80RBI+. He looks like he has zero ability to do that. The more I watch him the more I think he's a total bust.

I hope I'm wrong and he is a pleasant surprise.

Fine. For the $$ he makes what are reasonable expectations?

Reaction Score
The more I think about it, he's a corner OF and getting paid $10m a year. He should get you 20 HRs and 80RBI+. He looks like he has zero ability to do that. The more I watch him the more I think he's a total bust.

I hope I'm wrong and he is a pleasant surprise.
I know it is tough to be patient especially with the team performing so poorly. But remember the start that Pedroia had and it took Xander a year and change to get going. Rusney has the added burden of apparently never having received much coaching. I think he will be OK in time and they should just keep sending him out there.

Reaction Score
He shouldn't be treated as a prospect. He has another 5+ years at $10m guaranteed. Hopefully he just needs a little more action. I don't see it, I hope I'm wrong.

I know it is tough to be patient especially with the team performing so poorly. But remember the start that Pedroia had and it took Xander a year and change to get going. Rusney has the added burden of apparently never having received much coaching. I think he will be OK in time and they should just keep sending him out there.

Reaction Score
He shouldn't be treated as a prospect. He has another 5+ years at $10m guaranteed. Hopefully he just needs a little more action. I don't see it, I hope I'm wrong.
He has a lot of talent but needs some coaching. He may be 27 but he is basically a rookie. Unfortunately, when you are paying a player $10MM it is hard to justify leaving him in the minors. He'll be a good player in another year but if the Sox are determined to play him on the big club while he learns the game then they have to live with some bonehead plays . It is way too early to give up on a player with all of his tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom