South Florida series | The Boneyard

South Florida series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Top of the 6th, UConn just tied it at 1-1. UConn is being no hit so far.

Tabakman was scratched from the start with back problems. Anthony Kay gets the start, has six strike outs through five innings.

Reaction Score
Kay walks the lead off hitter in the 6th. He was up over 90 pitches to start the inning and was a little wild in the 5th but got out of it. I think he should have pulled him but Penders seems to stretch his pitchers. Hope I'm wrong about sending him out for the 6th

Reaction Score
He brings Over in and he gives up a hit. 1st and 3rd no outs. No sure why Over when you have Slade, Mahoney, Rotoulo or even Ward that you can use. Over has been more of a midweek pitcher in relief of games not in question, plus I think he just pitched last game.

Reaction Score
Kay walks the lead off hitter in the 6th. He was up over 90 pitches to start the inning and was a little wild in the 5th but got out of it. I think he should have pulled him but Penders seems to stretch his pitchers. Hope I'm wrong about sending him out for the 6th

Devin Over is in now after the lead off walk. Not sure it is all that much of a stretch for Kay. He has thrown plenty of pitches in his relief appearances, he was essentially a long man out of the pen. But like most if not all the UConn pitchers, he gives up more than his fair share of walks. It's the one big bugaboo of the Husky staff.

Reaction Score
He brings Over in and he gives up a hit. 1st and 3rd no outs. No sure why Over when you have Slade, Mahoney, Rotoulo or even Ward that you can use. Over has been more of a midweek pitcher in relief of games not in question, plus I think he just pitched last game.

Slade pitched two scoreless innings the last game against CCSU as well.

TBTimes_Bulls9:00pm via Web
Bulls load bases in bottom of 6th & come up with...zilch. Devin Over K's Luke Borders, forces 2 fly-outs to LF. Surely you can't be serious!

Reaction Score
Over walks the next guy to load bases, then goes full count but gets the strikeout and then the next two guys on flyouts with no runners scoring. What a job to get out of it. I apologize D. Over and Penders, great job!

Reaction Score

Devin Over gets out of a bases loaded no out jam without a run coming in. I doubt you are going to see Ward in any serious relief situations, at least for a while. Mahoney and Ruotolo are the guys who are going to be closing games for the most part. You're going to see plenty of Over and Slade in the middle innings trying to get the game to those guys.

Reaction Score
Our offense is putrid. Guys striking out not even taking the bat off their shoulders. 0 hits thru 7.

Reaction Score
Our offense is putrid. Guys striking out not even taking the bat off their shoulders. 0 hits thru 7.

The South Florida pitcher is considered the best pitcher in the league. Just have to hope he tires before the game is done.

Reaction Score
Urgh......

Hill is caught stealing and #UConn is set down in the T8. USF coming up now with a 2-1 lead in the B8.

Reaction Score
@uconnbaseball: FINAL: USF 2, #UConn 1. Huskies manage just two hits as they fall to 10-9 on the season #BleedBlue

Edit add:

Game Notes

- Vinny Siena did not reach base in a game he played in for the first time this season, snapping a streak of 27 straight games dating back to last season.
- The UConn bullpen allowed one run in three innings and has allowed two earned in its last 26.1 innings of work
- Blake Davey’s ninth-inning single gave him a six-game hitting streak
- The loss for UConn snapped a six-game winning streak.

Up next, UConn and USF continue their conference series tomorrow at 6 p.m.Anthony Marzi (Berlin, Conn.) is set to take the ball for the Huskies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConnBaseball4:43pm via TweetDeck
First pitch for #UConn and USF is set for 6 p.m. Stats: Post original url/1lZThjc Video:gousfbulls.com/liveEvents/liv… Audio:WHUS.org

#UConn lineup:

Sundberg - CF
Yavarone - LF
Siena - 2B
Davey - RF
Melley - 1B
Daniello - 3B
McDowell - DH
David - C
Hill - SS
Marzi - P

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Marzi just gave up 2 run homer in bottom of 4th. Down 2-0. Once again the bats are silent. The thing that drives me nuts about the coach's philosophy of going up to the bat and being aggressive is this. We don't get the other pitchers pitch count up and tire them out. Most of the batters in this game so far have made outs 1 or 2 pitches into the count. In the first we had 2 guys who had 3-0 counts and took 1 strike then made an out. With this team which is struggling so mightily for not only runs but base runners, I would have these guys taking 2 strikes. They need to try and draw more walks to generate more base runners and in the meantime get the pitch count up. We are just too aggressive at the plate and I have never agreed with that. Just my opinion for a team struggling to produce runs.

Reaction Score
We strand the bases loaded in the 5th. Walk, hit batter and then we actually got a 2 out hit but for some reason we couldn't get the runner to score from 2nd with 2 outs. Hit was up the middle so running on contact would think he could score. Oh well. More frustration.

Reaction Score
Bases loaded and no outs for UConn in top of the 7th. New pitcher they just brought in walks David on 5 pitches. So what does Hill do in UConn fashion. Swings at the first pitch and grounds into DP. Not even a DP that scores a run, but home to first. Why in the world are you swinging at the first pitch after a walk? I know what you will say, he will see his best pitch on the first pitch. I don't care, you make the pitcher throw one strike first. Then Sundberg strikes out. This teams inability to score is unreal.

Reaction Score
While the UConn offense continues to struggle in this series, UConn pitching has kept them in the game. Marzi had one bad inning, giving up a two run homer in the 4th inning. Aside from that, he's done quite well, recording 9 strike outs in 7 innings.

Reaction Score
Yep, at this point I feel sorry for the pitching staff. Pitching their hearts out with no support from offense.

Reaction Score
First 2 on in the 8th with singles. Lets see what they do this time.

Reaction Score
Davey walks. Bases loaded and no one out for second straight inning. Let's hope the results are better this time around.

Reaction Score
Bases loaded no out for UConn in the 8th. Melley is up. South Florida brings in a lefty to face him.

Reaction Score
So much for the lefty. He plunks Melley on the helmet, scoring a run.

Reaction Score
Melley hit by pitch on the very first pitch. 2-1 still no outs.

Reaction Score
Garabedian is pinch running for Davey. I don't like the idea of taking Davey's bat out of the lineup in this situation.

Reaction Score
Garabedian is pinch running for Davey. I don't like the idea of taking Davey's bat out of the lineup in this situation.
I agree, why do you take Davey out? Daniello grounds into DP which does score the tying run but McDowell leaves the runner at third. Managed one additional run with them loaded and no outs and now you don't have your top hitter. Don't agree with that one and more missed opportunities.

Reaction Score
Right when your offense struggles to finally get runs across and tie the game, now Marzi comes out and walks a batter and hits his third guy in the game. He does have 9 k's but he continues to struggle with his command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom