South Carolina adds Another Quality Post Player | Page 2 | The Boneyard

South Carolina adds Another Quality Post Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sarah Imovbioh Bio: http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/sarah_imovbioh_795261.html

She's eligible to play next year as a graduate transfer.

She's a good pickup for South Carolina. However since the front court is their strength, don't know if she significantly enhances their chances of winning a National Championship.
She is a graduate of STAB as it's known in Charlottesville, va the home of SainT Anne's Belifeld well known locally for girls and boys top sports teams. For all you Guru's out there---doesn't it take a bit more than a year plus to buy into a coaches program? I know of non-sports students getting their graduate degrees in 2 years but even then it's rare. I wish both well.

Reaction Score
I think it is 11 scholarship players.
Actually I like 12 Scholarship players (mostly because I don't have to coach them) because in recent years teams have been working on either fouling our guys, IMO to take them out of the game either with fouls or otherwise and too Dayton used almost a platoon system to keep fresh legs against UConn others, including USC, have done the same. 12 gives you practice players and legit subs (hopefully) --the down side is emphasis cannot put equally on the "starting 5" as the "second team". Ok guys why NOT??? And don't use the argument that Geno doesn't like it.

Reaction Score
Like many of the insightful posters (I love the BY) I have an uneasy feeling when a team has too many players. (Help me out here-- I think SC is carrying the most players of the top 16 teams.) One could say that there are more players to look after, motivate, develop, counsel, and give playing time. IMHO another of 10 big reasons why Gino is so good is he keeps the team smaller and tighter. A short rotation (last few years it was 6 in crunch time, maybe seven. Why? Team chemistry is stronger, timing is minutely developed, some days some players need court time to settle in, overall flow is kept smooth, and conditioning is honed to a sharp edge by FF time. Gino's goal seems to be -- the 5 starters can go 40 minutes at top speed with maximum efficiency--if necessary. Nurse, as the frosh, was really the only one that came out (tired or Gino wanted the big line-up with Stokes.) Chong or Williams never were really in the mix for the Dayton game on. For SC, I see the deeper bench stifling player development. In addition, I hope Dawn Staley keeps the platoon system because it helps UConn keep the edge as I noted above. Every sub changes the game flow and timing. Look at UConn at the end of games. I know there is a drastic skill drop-off, but it is the flow and timing that is most obvious.
Geno and his staff, et al, have in the past scheduled travel abroad to strengthen "chemistry"--CD demanded non game activity to bond every member with all others. Speaking of CD way back in the Sue Bird day, she maintained a record of playing time (Svet wanted more time) and Geno somehow worked PT into his subbing. It's do-able and it's arduous and still complaints. But the key is togetherness as a team in almost all things--. Team members if done right become "sisters" .
Chong and Gabby didn't play only marginally in top level competition games because when they went in--it wasn't the "chemistry" it was the level of play changed drastically for the team mostly because their (Gabby/Chong) PT came during cleanup time against AAC teams-Geno when he took Gabby out of the ND Game was almost apologetic ---I expect both the level of play and the playing time for Williams and Saniya shall change next year.
The number of players usually are determined by what a coach feels comfortable with and the talent available.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Akhator would've been nice... but I'm starting to think SC was never really in play to land her. Akhator is Tennesse's to lose.... which would be huge for your post depth.

I agree...would be a huge get for us. But I think she is FSU's to lose. Hopefully we get her tho.

Reaction Score
I like this pickup from USC -- I would love it a ton if the new player added could play both center and pf and if she is quick enough to guard stretch 4's and 5's. White is a wildcard - she could be a bust just as easily as be very good. I wouldn't bet my money though on someone who is basically still a freshman. Now that the frontline is solidified with 3 post players to fill 2 positions, and they Have Tiffany as their leader,

I think Sessions is an acceptable guard -- they just need a couple of shooters other than Mitchell -- Tina Roy is one. I don't understand why she didn't get more time but I didn't see USC enough. If that kid from Canada can shoot - they have a terrific mix with a bunch of nice parts and a terrific "Big 3."

Reaction Score
Well, as a UConn fan transplanted to VA, I've had season tickets to UVA womens bb the past 3 years. Sarah is a bull under the basket. No outside shot and poor free throw shooter. Not dissimilar from Welsh on SC. Seemed out of sorts this past year. Some games she just seemed to disappear. Smart girl though. I think she just wanted to be part of a winning program. Good luck to her at USC!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Like many of the insightful posters (I love the BY) I have an uneasy feeling when a team has too many players. (Help me out here-- I think SC is carrying the most players of the top 16 teams.) One could say that there are more players to look after, motivate, develop, counsel, and give playing time. IMHO another of 10 big reasons why Gino is so good is he keeps the team smaller and tighter. A short rotation (last few years it was 6 in crunch time, maybe seven. Why? Team chemistry is stronger, timing is minutely developed, some days some players need court time to settle in, overall flow is kept smooth, and conditioning is honed to a sharp edge by FF time. Gino's goal seems to be -- the 5 starters can go 40 minutes at top speed with maximum efficiency--if necessary. Nurse, as the frosh, was really the only one that came out (tired or Gino wanted the big line-up with Stokes.) Chong or Williams never were really in the mix for the Dayton game on. For SC, I see the deeper bench stifling player development. In addition, I hope Dawn Staley keeps the platoon system because it helps UConn keep the edge as I noted above. Every sub changes the game flow and timing. Look at UConn at the end of games. I know there is a drastic skill drop-off, but it is the flow and timing that is most obvious.

I couldn't agree more. I get so frustrated watching Mulkey sub in and out so frequently. She has a tendency to yank a player the moment they make a mistake, especially a turnover, and this disrupts the chemistry on the court. Some players need time to settle in and get a feel for the flow of the game and that can't be done when lineups change so frequently.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think it is 11 scholarship players.
Well technically, I believe it's 12. Pulido I believe is on scholarship although it's a transfer scholarship from track. So you can kind of count it or kind of not count it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom