South Carolina adds Another Quality Post Player | The Boneyard

South Carolina adds Another Quality Post Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Interesting. From her Bio

· Ruled ineligible to compete and practice by the NCAA during her first year at UVa. The ruling was a result of a gap in her high school enrollment while living in Nigeria. NCAA bylaw 14.3.1.2.1 requires prospective student-athletes to complete their core-curriculum requirements within four consecutive years of their initial date of high school enrollment
· Imovbioh has three years of eligibility remaining, but has a unique situation. NCAA Rules state she could earn that fourth year back if she earns 80 percent of her degree by her fifth year (2015-16).

Not sure why S Carolina would need her, but if she's there getting her Grad Degree and wants to play...why not? Seems to be a good rebounder.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Good pickup for South Carolina. 1 year investment, She'll get minutes backing up Wilson at the PF and White backing up Coates. There is still a bigger fish out there in Evelyn Akhator IMO. Does this signing decrease the chances of South Carolina getting Akhator? Is there still a roster spot for her?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Good pickup for South Carolina. 1 year investment, She'll get minutes backing up Wilson at the PF and White backing up Coates. There is still a bigger fish out there in Evelyn Akhator IMO. Does this signing decrease the chances of South Carolina getting Akhator? Is there still a roster spot for her?

Or maybe Dawn can start her and sub either Wilson or Coates in at the 7-minute mark.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Or maybe Dawn can start her and sub either Wilson or Coates in at the 7-minute mark.
fcebf702237c9d3d84ea5e1514a42c14826d9ceb65328c831f24cf0b29277d1a.jpg

HGN

Reaction Score
Seems like a good pick-up to me............Gives the Gamecocks more depth and a quality player. Surely can't hurt.

As for whether it will hurt USC's chances of landing anyone else , who knows. But Staley isn't counting her chickens before they hatch......So she decided to go with the bird (Gamecock) in hand. And who could blame her? I certainly don't.

Reaction Score
Experience post. Say what you want about White but I haven't seen her play meaningful minutes for whatever reasons and nobody really knows what she as to offer. I can careless about her being a MCDAA if she was one. Rather have an experience post than a young post with potential.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Experience post. Say what you want about White but I haven't seen her play meaningful minutes for whatever reasons and nobody really knows what she as to offer. I can careless about her being a MCDAA if she was one. Rather have an experience post than a young post with potential.
She led ACC in rebounding at 6'2". Don't see her taking minutes away from White, because White is a true center IMO. She is more PF. Was she eligible for WNBA draft this year?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

There's still roster space at SC... but Akhator isn't going to SC.

Reaction Score
She led ACC in rebounding at 6'2". Don't see her taking minutes away from White, because White is a true center IMO. She is more PF. Was she eligible for WNBA draft this year?
And what have you seen from White suggesting she can play the true center spot in college? We have one player who led the ACC in rebounding at 6'2, and one player we know exactly how? Are you saying that White will be your first post off the bench?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Interesting. From her Bio

· Ruled ineligible to compete and practice by the NCAA during her first year at UVa. The ruling was a result of a gap in her high school enrollment while living in Nigeria. NCAA bylaw 14.3.1.2.1 requires prospective student-athletes to complete their core-curriculum requirements within four consecutive years of their initial date of high school enrollment
· Imovbioh has three years of eligibility remaining, but has a unique situation. NCAA Rules state she could earn that fourth year back if she earns 80 percent of her degree by her fifth year (2015-16).

Not sure why S Carolina would need her, but if she's there getting her Grad Degree and wants to play...why not? Seems to be a good rebounder.

USC has the top International Business program in the country so I could see her enrolling in that program. If she has already earned her Bachelor's at UVA then she could enroll in the masters program.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
White had an injured foot for the early part of the season and then the flu so she got very few minutes last season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And what have you seen from White suggesting she can play the true center spot in college? We have one player who led the ACC in rebounding at 6'2, and one player we know exactly how? Are you saying that White will be your first post off the bench?
No. Coates and Wilson will start at the C & PF respectively. Imovbioh will back up Wilson at the PF spot and White will backup Coates at the Center spot. Who comes in first will be up to Dawn. If fact all of this will be up to dawn. Imovbioh will have at max 1 year at South Carolina. White could have 3 more-therefore more worthy of an investment in the form of playing time IMO.

Reaction Score
No. Coates and Wilson will start at the C & PF respectively. Imovbioh will back up Wilson at the PF spot and White will backup Coates at the Center spot. Who comes in first will be up to Dawn. If fact all of this will be up to dawn. Imovbioh will have at max 1 year at South Carolina. White could have 3 more-therefore more worthy of an investment in the form of playing time IMO.
CHAMPIONSHIP Aspirations. Tiffany Mitchell senior year. Imovbioh gets more playing time. As of right now White is still an unknown.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CHAMPIONSHIP Aspirations. Tiffany Mitchell senior year. Imovbioh gets more playing time. As of right now White is still an unknown.
IMO South Carolina does not have more Championship aspirations because Tiffany Mitchell is a senior, more playing time for Imovbioh vs White will make no difference to the realization of those aspirations- if that were true, & Imovbioh is on a new FF team,in a new conference with an established pecking order (pun intended) -she will also be unproven at South Carolina.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Seems like a good pick-up to me..Gives the Gamecocks more depth and a quality player. Surely can't hurt.

As for whether it will hurt USC's chances of landing anyone else , who knows. But Staley isn't counting her chickens before they hatch.So she decided to go with the bird (Gamecock) in hand. And who could blame her? I certainly don't.

Me neither. The early bird catches the worm. Staley pounced like a duck on a June bug and now has something to crow about.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She also has had some nice offensive games in addition to being a good rebounder. She may make up for the rebounding that was lost with the graduation of Welch.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score

S. Carolina wasn't in Akhator's final 4 so this pick-up won't affect where she goes.

Reaction Score
Like many of the insightful posters (I love the BY) I have an uneasy feeling when a team has too many players. (Help me out here-- I think SC is carrying the most players of the top 16 teams.) One could say that there are more players to look after, motivate, develop, counsel, and give playing time. IMHO another of 10 big reasons why Gino is so good is he keeps the team smaller and tighter. A short rotation (last few years it was 6 in crunch time, maybe seven. Why? Team chemistry is stronger, timing is minutely developed, some days some players need court time to settle in, overall flow is kept smooth, and conditioning is honed to a sharp edge by FF time. Gino's goal seems to be -- the 5 starters can go 40 minutes at top speed with maximum efficiency--if necessary. Nurse, as the frosh, was really the only one that came out (tired or Gino wanted the big line-up with Stokes.) Chong or Williams never were really in the mix for the Dayton game on. For SC, I see the deeper bench stifling player development. In addition, I hope Dawn Staley keeps the platoon system because it helps UConn keep the edge as I noted above. Every sub changes the game flow and timing. Look at UConn at the end of games. I know there is a drastic skill drop-off, but it is the flow and timing that is most obvious.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
S. Carolina wasn't in Akhator's final 4 so this pick-up won't affect where she goes.

Akhator would've been nice... but I'm starting to think SC was never really in play to land her. Akhator is Tennesse's to lose.... which would be huge for your post depth.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Like many of the insightful posters (I love the BY) I have an uneasy feeling when a team has too many players. (Help me out here-- I think SC is carrying the most players of the top 16 teams.) One could say that there are more players to look after, motivate, develop, counsel, and give playing time. IMHO another of 10 big reasons why Gino is so good is he keeps the team smaller and tighter. A short rotation (last few years it was 6 in crunch time, maybe seven. Why? Team chemistry is stronger, timing is minutely developed, some days some players need court time to settle in, overall flow is kept smooth, and conditioning is honed to a sharp edge by FF time. Gino's goal seems to be -- the 5 starters can go 40 minutes at top speed with maximum efficiency--if necessary. Nurse, as the frosh, was really the only one that came out (tired or Gino wanted the big line-up with Stokes.) Chong or Williams never were really in the mix for the Dayton game on. For SC, I see the deeper bench stifling player development. In addition, I hope Dawn Staley keeps the platoon system because it helps UConn keep the edge as I noted above. Every sub changes the game flow and timing. Look at UConn at the end of games. I know there is a drastic skill drop-off, but it is the flow and timing that is most obvious.

SC will have 13 players on scholarship next season.
Cuevas, Duckett, Cliney, Sessions, Davis, Wilson, Roy, Mitchell, Dozier, White, Coates and newbies Colley and Imovbioh.

We have a walk-on: India Farmer

There are teams out there with 16/17 on roster in the top 16... Dawn likes to be around 12/13.

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but UCONN will have 12 scholarship players next year......

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SC will have 13 players on scholarship next season.
Cuevas, Duckett, Cliney, Sessions, Davis, Wilson, Roy, Mitchell, Dozier, White, Coates and newbies Colley and Imovbioh.

We have a walk-on: India Farmer

There are teams out there with 16/17 on roster in the top 16... Dawn likes to be around 12/13.

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but UCONN will have 12 scholarship players next year.

I think it is 11 scholarship players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA