Source: UConn lacrosse to DI in 2018 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Source: UConn lacrosse to DI in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did anyone watch 60minutes last night? They had a story on Mike Pressler, the Duke coach that was fired on the supposed scandal on the lacrosse team. He took Bryant College from D111 to D1. He was on the Wilton high team in the midst of their 20 state championship runs. Coach Whitten was a genius, once he retired they went downhill.

I was hoping once UConn was into lacrosse they would hire Pressler,but he is so grateful to Bryant that I doubt he would leave, as he has had many offers.

Reaction Score
Have no idea if this is reliable:

UConn to join BE in Lax 2018

First year of play will be 2018 in league. Will recruit in 2017 and play the club level as basically a RS year for some recruits. Former Duke coach who did great things at Bryant is rumored to be in play. Supposedly UConn has the support of Darien, Fairfield Prep and other important state programs to build something special. The program will use the next soccer stadium being built since the seasons work out field wise. There is also talk of a second indoor turf field being built in the athletic complex and that one will be Lax, Soccer and other sports leaving the Burton to football only. More info to come from my sources soon.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-734723.html

Reaction Score
Only negative about this is if we are set to join the Big East in lacrosse in 2018 that means as of now we have no plans on joining the ACC/B1G before then since both leagues support lacrosse.

Unless it's a temporary "in name only" move until we get an invite and never actually play a game in the BE.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
The 60 min segment seemed to make it pretty clear that Pressler had no intentions of leaving Bryant. If he wouldn't leave for higher profile jobs why would he leave for UConn?

Reaction Score

First year of play will be 2018 in league. Will recruit in 2017 and play the club level as basically a RS year for some recruits. Former Duke coach who did great things at Bryant is rumored to be in play. Supposedly UConn has the support of Darien, Fairfield Prep and other important state programs to build something special. The program will use the next soccer stadium being built since the seasons work out field wise. There is also talk of a second indoor turf field being built in the athletic complex and that one will be Lax, Soccer and other sports leaving the Burton to football only. More info to come from my sources soon.

To good pieces of news there. One, sounds like the new soccer(/lax) stadium is a go. Just wondering where it will be - next door to the current field as per the last master campus planning or over by the softball field where the old field hockey field was as per the prior campus plan rendering. Second, it would be nice for Fairfield County programs to support a UConn sport for once, unlike the crap given to the football program.

Reaction Score
The 60 min segment seemed to make it pretty clear that Pressler had no intentions of leaving Bryant. If he wouldn't leave for higher profile jobs why would he leave for UConn?

He is a local; it's possible that would appeal to him enough to make a move.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
He is a local; it's possible that would appeal to him enough to make a move.
I had to look it up since I never heard about his local connection. Went to high school in Wilton, right in the area we'd want to recruit (heavily). I sure hope the LAX stories are true and would love Pressler making the move. On the flip side, I know nothing about lacrosse and he's the only coach I know by name, so of course he's my favorite (and only) choice.

Reaction Score
I had to look it up since I never heard about his local connection. Went to high school in Wilton, right in the area we'd want to recruit (heavily). I sure hope the LAX stories are true and would love Pressler making the move. On the flip side, I know nothing about lacrosse and he's the only coach I know by name, so of course he's my favorite (and only) choice.

A top DIII coach might be an option, too. I could see Mike Daly from Tufts or WNEC's John Klepacki being pretty good targets.

Reaction Score
To good pieces of news there. One, sounds like the new soccer(/lax) stadium is a go. Just wondering where it will be - next door to the current field as per the last master campus planning or over by the softball field where the old field hockey field was as per the prior campus plan rendering. Second, it would be nice for Fairfield County programs to support a UConn sport for once, unlike the crap given to the football program.

That's a bunch of detailed info. If UConn is making a move to a P5 in the next 5 years, UConn Lax in the Big East could mean the Big 12 is in the suitor in play. If it were ACC or B1G they wouldn't be talking to the Big East. But this lacrosse info could be all bogus.

For one Pressler said he wants to stay put. NCAA Soccer is likely becoming a fall/spring sport if they were using the new stadium then they would share the field.

The good news is that Lacrosse is in play, so the athletic dept is still growing. This means to me that they feel comfortable about the conference situation. If things were as dire as our resident chicken little seems to be bleating, we would be contracting and not expanding.

Reaction Score
That's a bunch of detailed info. If UConn is making a move to a P5 in the next 5 years, UConn Lax in the Big East could mean the Big 12 is in the suitor in play. If it were ACC or B1G they wouldn't be talking to the Big East. But this lacrosse info could be all bogus.

For one Pressler said he wants to stay put. NCAA Soccer is likely becoming a fall/spring sport if they were using the new stadium then they would share the field.

The good news is that Lacrosse is in play, so the athletic dept is still growing. This means to me that they feel comfortable about the conference situation. If things were as dire as our resident chicken little seems to be bleating, we would be contracting and not expanding.

I think your first and last comments are important. Lacrosse would need a home, so the New Big East is logical at this moment in time. Can also be used as a selling point to both the ACC and B1G as both seem to place significant value on the sport that UConn, even in these 'dark times' is still investing in its athletic (and academic) programs and intents to be a P5 sports program in action if not name no matter what.

As for the new Soccer stadium, if its done using the new turf, it can handle 4 teams (soccer men/women, lacrosse men/women) as their primary game field. What they would need of soccer goes full-year is extra practice fields along with internal office, training, etc, space. That I think will be the challenge and could also explain the proposed addition to Burton in the master plan.

Of course, I am not sure how or old friends in Syracuse will take UConn moving to D1. They could take it as a great opportunity to forma new rival (year right), or a direct threat as half of their 50 man roster comes from areas that are closer to UConn than Syracuse - Mass, CT, Long Island, Hudson Valley NY, New Jersey.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Could be that the B1G or ACC wants UConn for all sports including lax but not making the move until 4-6+ years in the future. By having the lax program play a few years in the BE there would be time to get the program up to speed and full scholarships by the time Delany or Swofford (is he still the commish?) comes calling. I don't see why UConn would add men's lax if the B12 is the one calling.

Reaction Score
That's a bunch of detailed info. If UConn is making a move to a P5 in the next 5 years, UConn Lax in the Big East could mean the Big 12 is in the suitor in play. If it were ACC or B1G they wouldn't be talking to the Big East.

I'm not following this logic. All of the moves we've seen seem to be to appeal to a P5. If the B12 doesn't offer LAX but are the suitor in play, why would we bother adding LAX? Joining the Big East is not the goal. However, if we were adding LAX and needed to get it off the ground to appeal to B1G/ACC we would need a place to park it for a few years before making a jump to B1G/ACC. Would be similar to Hockey East for the near term while awaiting a move to B1G?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Posters on that board basically mine this board for information and then try to pass it off as "sources" over there.

Reaction Score
I'm not following this logic. All of the moves we've seen seem to be to appeal to a P5. If the B12 doesn't offer LAX but are the suitor in play, why would we bother adding LAX? Joining the Big East is not the goal. However, if we were adding LAX and needed to get it off the ground to appeal to B1G/ACC we would need a place to park it for a few years before making a jump to B1G/ACC. Would be similar to Hockey East for the near term while awaiting a move to B1G?

Maybe we're adding Lax because we want to in an effort to round out the athletic program and make us more like our aspirational peers.

Here's my logic restated.

1. I believe Skiblets, but I don't think anything could be imminent. It could also collapse like it did for us last time.

2. We're adding Lacrosse, but that's not imminent and it still needs a home.

3. If 1 is correct and it means a P5 membership in some capacity and we're talking to the Big East about Lacrosse then 1 probably doesn't involve the B1G or the ACC since they both sponsor lacrosse.

Reaction Score
Posters on that board basically mine this board for information and then try to pass it off as "sources" over there.

Yup. It's an echo chamber.

Reaction Score
Maybe we are working off of a list that the Big 10 "suggested".

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the men's tennis team is going to be axed. There's only a few scholarship players on it as of now and it may go towards lacrosse. Also, in the "UConn in 20 years" models, there aren't even tennis courts there

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the men's tennis team is going to be axed. There's only a few scholarship players on it as of now and it may go towards lacrosse. Also, in the "UConn in 20 years" models, there aren't even tennis courts there

But, UConn May need to keep women's tennis to stay in Title IX compliance.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
This could all be a cover your arse maneuver. Maybe we are still hoping for the P5 golden ticket and maybe the administration has learned their lesson from when we were "penned" into the ACC and decided that if we are definitely adding lax, it will need to be in the Big East should our B1G dreams fall through.

Reaction Score
I still have a nephew in Shelton
Traditionally a great Youth Baseball town
LL was having trouble attracting kids as so many were playing Lacrosse.
His kids played both but that's tough for most parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom