Source: UConn lacrosse to DI in 2018 | The Boneyard

Source: UConn lacrosse to DI in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just had a conversation with the coach/director of my kid's club lacrosse program over lunch. He is also head coach at one of the high school team's in the state. We were talking about opportunities for playing after high school and I mentioned it would be good if UConn went up to DI to keep some of the in-state talent here. He said " oh yeah, they're moving up in 2018."
That's the first I have heard it stated as definitely happening from someone who would know. There's been speculation in lacrosse magazine, but until now that's all its been. I realize this is not confirmed from the school, but it's credible.
Anyway, if true, this is great news for the sport in our state and it's possible impact on conference realignment. The BIG has a fledgling lax league and needs to fill it out. The ACC, of course, rules college lacrosse and the top players from Connecticut regularly end up there.
I know: football drives the CR bus. But this may be the UConn athletic department ramping up ahead of an invite. Let's hope so.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
IF true, it's another expense on an athletic department that already makes next to no money from TV. Maybe Conspiracy Kitty can read into that that we know more money will be coming and that it's not a long term concern.

Reaction Score
IF true, it's another expense on an athletic department that already makes next to no money from TV. Maybe Conspiracy Kitty can read into that that we know more money will be coming and that it's not a long term concern.
I'm calling April Fool's on the OP...but if in fact it is true it will definitely be interesting to see where they add scholarships to women's sports so they stay Title IX compliant.

Reaction Score
I'm calling April Fool's on the OP...but if in fact it is true it will definitely be interesting to see where they add scholarships to women's sports so they stay Title IX compliant.
Anyone posting april fool's material on our CR board is treading on thin ice.
That said, the women play in the Big East. Men need to upgrade and move on.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Anyone posting april fool's material on our CR board is treading on thin ice.
That said, the women play in the Big East. Men need to upgrade and move on.

Yes, the women have a team in the Big East, but if you're adding 20 (?) men's scholarships, you need to add an equal number to women's sports. That doesn't necessarily mean women's lacrosse. It means any women's sport. They'd either have to form another women's team or two in other sports, cut other men's programs in other sports, or increase the scholarship total in already-established women's teams, as long as they aren't already at the NCAA max in those sports.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
If April Fool's, BarkingDog should be neutered. My mental state is fragile with regards to UConn's future/CR and this was the first glimmer of hope I've seen in a long time.

Reaction Score
Yes, the women have a team in the Big East, but if you're adding 20 (?) men's scholarships, you need to add an equal number to women's sports. That doesn't necessarily mean women's lacrosse. It means any women's sport. They'd either have to form another women's team or two in other sports, cut other men's programs in other sports, or increase the scholarship total in already-established women's teams, as long as they aren't already at the NCAA max in those sports.
No need to add a women team
We will probably drop football to FCS at the same time ,that will illiminate 40 scholarships.
We can also drop another women's team at the same time maybe BB

Reaction Score
Lol. Guys not an April fool's joke. That conversation with the person I described took place. I have no reason not to believe him. Does that mean it's 100 percent certain to happen? I suppose not. Even if it does happen, does that mean it necessarily has anything to do with CR? maybe not. But I think it's for real and feel good about it.
For the conspiracy theorists, this conversation took place in a pizza joint. He had a salad. I'm not judging. I had two slices, sausage. So, there you have it.

Reaction Score
No need to add a women team
We will probably drop football to FCS at the same time ,that will illiminate 40 scholarships.
We can also drop another women's team at the same time maybe BB
Yeah let's drop football to FCS to add lacrosse. We can also join the Big East for hoops. We'll be just like all the other ACC or B-10 1aa football/lacrosse schools like...well nobody, but we should do it anyhow.

Reaction Score
Women's lacrosse becomes a scholarship sport when they upgraded football. According to the following articles:
http://www.laxpower.com/recruits/recruiting_guide.php?page=2
http://www.laxpower.com/laxnews/news.php?story=11652
a Division 1 men's lacrosse program can award the maximum of 12.6 scholarships and a women's program a maximum of 12. That's a pretty easy number to divide among the women's sports at UCONN to bring them to the max.

Reaction Score
Women's lacrosse becomes a scholarship sport when they upgraded football. According to the following articles:
http://www.laxpower.com/recruits/recruiting_guide.php?page=2
http://www.laxpower.com/laxnews/news.php?story=11652
a Division 1 men's lacrosse program can award the maximum of 12.6 scholarships and a women's program a maximum of 12. That's a pretty easy number to divide among the women's sports at UCONN to bring them to the max.
Not likely to add women's scholarships as that doubles the cost especially if Uconn follows the pack in adding living costs to scholarships. Women already have rowing, diving, volleyball and field hockey which help cover the FB #'s for Title IX. More likely that men's scholarships are reduced to 1/2 scholarships in some of the minor sports and adding 1/2 scholarships for lacrosse to try and keep it cost neutral. This would impact men's minor sports especially those that are not overly successful. Think tennis, golf, diving and swimming. That is if it happens at all.

Reaction Score
Not likely to add women's scholarships as that doubles the cost especially if Uconn follows the pack in adding living costs to scholarships. Women already have rowing, diving, volleyball and field hockey which help cover the FB #'s for Title IX. More likely that men's scholarships are reduced to 1/2 scholarships in some of the minor sports and adding 1/2 scholarships for lacrosse to try and keep it cost neutral. This would impact men's minor sports especially those that are not overly successful. Think tennis, golf, diving and swimming. That is if it happens at all.
If they add a men's lacrosse program...they know something about future CR that isn't being told to the fan base (and most likely can't at this time). I don't see adding a program where coaching salaries, recruiting and travel costs will put an additional strain on the AD budget with the money that is coming in from the AAC. They have just added 8 additional scholarships because of the men's hockey upgrade spread out over the next 24 months. If there is one thing the hockey upgrade has shown the fan base...it's that this Athletic and School administration when going "D-1" in a sport goes all in 100% to win. Warde Manuel has shown that with his other coaching hires he has made aside from men's hoops, football, and hockey.

Reaction Score
Technically, UConn men do play Division 1 lacrosse. They play in Division 1 of the MCLA, which is an association of over 200 non-NCAA teams. They are in the PCLL league which consists of BC, SUNY-Buffalo, UNH, URI, UConn, and Northeastern.

Reaction Score
I've posted on more than one occasion that UConn needed to find a way to get lacrosse up and running.

Realistically, UConn is "on the bubble" for B1G membership. The AAU/academics thing is being covered as effectively as it can be given the situation, other things that might help enormously may be beyond reach (ie. like facilities upgrades), but everything that can realistically be done must be done--and lacrosse fits that prescription perfectly. The B1G is apparently putting a lot of emphasis on lacrosse and the sport is growing. It's the right sport at the right time and as usual UConn has the right geography. It's a win and every win makes an invite more likely--and, if the B1G finds UConn more attractive, you can bet the bank that every other conference will, too.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
This actually could be huge news. CT is a lax hotbed and this could eventually be one of our best sports in a short period of time (similar to Hockey). If true, Warde is building seriously steam for a move to the B10/ACC.

What will go D1 for Girls....I wonder? Probably a low budget option like Squash?

Reaction Score
Technically, UConn men do play Division 1 lacrosse. They play in Division 1 of the MCLA, which is an association of over 200 non-NCAA teams. They are in the PCLL league which consists of BC, SUNY-Buffalo, UNH, URI, UConn, and Northeastern.

As someone who played MCLA lacrosse for UConn, I can assure you that this is NOT the same thing.

Dropping lacrosse was a stupid move when they did it, and it's long-past time to rectify that.

Reaction Score
Yeah we need a sport that parents and girlfriends can attend on a regular basis. There is a lot of lacrosse being played in the state--some by programs with long traditions. It draws flies. Yale, Fairfield, the d3s some of whom are powers...and crickets...UMass went to the final 4 a few years back and draws mostly crickets.

Reaction Score
it's about appealing to either the B1G or ACC, it's another thing we would bring to the table.

Doesn't mean that I specifically will actually go to the games, I could care less about lacrosse. But it's not all about me personally when it comes to the university making academic and/or athletic decisions.

Reaction Score
He may have read that from wishful thinkers in a college publication(s) 2018 is the right year, other schools mentioned were BC, VTech and FSU.

Reaction Score
He may have read that from wishful thinkers in a college publication(s) 2018 is the right year, other schools mentioned were BC, VTech and FSU.

BC dropped down while I was in school, and we went up and played them their first year in MCLA, when they had about a dozen holdovers from the prior year. They absolutely smoked us. I always thought it was pretty stupid to drop their program down, but most people don't care about lacrosse as much as I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom