Sorry if posted already: Moriah is a Lieberman finalist | The Boneyard

Sorry if posted already: Moriah is a Lieberman finalist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
At least they got it right. The Staley award choices were really baffling. I mean Brittany Hrynko is a nice player but to choose her over Mo was a head scratcher.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Jefferson doesn't win this award, call a cop.
You maybe underestimating the amount of UCONN fatigue that is out there. It is WRONG! But it sounds like this: “Of course MoJeff is going to come off as best PG, she passing to other All-American players.” Samantha Logic is the only name that would cause me pause & only because she’s a senior. MoJeff should win the award and this will mostly likely secure her place on WHO.

Reaction Score
You maybe underestimating the amount of UCONN fatigue that is out there. It is WRONG! But it sounds like this: “Of course MoJeff is going to come off as best PG, she passing to other All-American players.” Samantha Logic is the only name that would cause me pause & only because she’s a senior. MoJeff should win the award and this will mostly likely secure her place on WHO.
Since I don't suffer petty extraneous circumstance, UConn "fatigue" is irrelevant to me.

If those that have a say in the Lieberman Award are that small-minded, they can ignore greatness and flush whatever credibility they may, or may not have possessed before their vote.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Those are all good players.

Allen is the PG for the #3 team in the nation.

Johnson puts up huge numbers of assists.

Mitchell led the nation in scoring--as a freshman--and broke the NCAA season record for 3-pointers.

Logic is arguably the best player in her conference and a triple-double machine.

But Moriah has a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio, has about as many steals per minute as anyone in the country, shoots 50% from 3-point range and 60% inside the arc, plays incredible defense, and runs the offense and defense for a team that is winning games by an average or 42 points.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Coco: Yes Fatigue and/or outright dislike. Hopefully those feelings for the team won't result in penalties for individual players.

Reaction Score
I s
Coco: Yes Fatigue and/or outright dislike. Hopefully those feelings for the team won't result in penalties for individual players.
I don't see any UCONN fatigue here - UCONN players have won 6 of the 15 Lieberman awards.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am hopefully optimistic. The Liberman award has a track record of getting it right and definitely no Anti-UCONN bias. The first 5 Liberman awards went to UCONN players first 3 for Bird next 2 for DT. Most comporable to MoJeff situation this year was Renee Montgomery winning in 2009 on a team with Maya & Tina.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I s

I don't see any UCONN fatigue here - UCONN players have won 6 of the 15 Lieberman awards.

Yes, maybe the fatigue/ dislike is just present with the Staley award :p. Of course it's only been around for a couple of years so time will tell.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But Moriah has a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio, has about as many steals per minute as anyone in the country, shoots 50% from 3-point range and 60% inside the arc, plays incredible defense, and runs the offense and defense for a team that is winning games by an average or 42 points.

I hope the Liberman award committee look at the bolded items if they do Moriah wins IMO. If they zoom in on the assist numbers she might not. Moriah 3.02:1 assist to turnover Johnson is at 3.79: 1. Total assists Moriah=169 Johnson has more than 100 more, Johnson= 296.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mo is also more fun to watch than any PG in WCBB. In my objective measurement, of course.
She's the most exciting player in WCBB, beyond Stewie, Kaleena, Jewell, et al.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am hopefully optimistic. The Liberman award has a track record of getting it right and definitely no Anti-UCONN bias. The first 5 Liberman awards went to UCONN players first 3 for Bird next 2 for DT. Most comporable to MoJeff situation this year was Renee Montgomery winning in 2009 on a team with Maya & Tina.
Well Now! Hopefully the Lieberman committe does not read the following article.
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...n-iowa-hawkeyes-samantha-logic-clash-sweet-16
Can someone honestly read this article about PGs in which Logic and Johnson are praised as All americans play makers and Allen of ND is used as a benck mark and tell me there is no UCONN fatigue/or hate? How do you do a story on PG and not mention MoJeff! I not saying feature her but Damn, she's a better bench mark than Allen of ND.

Reaction Score
Well Now! Hopefully the Lieberman committe does not read the following article.
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...n-iowa-hawkeyes-samantha-logic-clash-sweet-16
Can someone honestly read this article about PGs in which Logic and Johnson are praised as All americans play makers and Allen of ND is used as a benck mark and tell me there is no UCONN fatigue/or hate? How do you do a story on PG and not mention MoJeff! I not saying feature her but Damn, she's a better bench mark than Allen of ND.

ESPN.com is doing Sweet 16 previews focusing on each regional. So that's why this particular story only mentions Allen, Logic, and Johnson.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I hope the Liberman award committee look at the bolded items if they do Moriah wins IMO. If they zoom in on the assist numbers she might not. Moriah 3.02:1 assist to turnover Johnson is at 3.79: 1. Total assists Moriah=169 Johnson has more than 100 more, Johnson= 296.

I always find these numbers interesting and it gets down to the style of offense uconn runs. Uconn leads the nation in assists per game by basically one assist/game - #2 is Baylor. The difference is that Uconn may well have five players with 100+ assists - Baylor likely will only have 1 (possibly 2 as Wright is sitting at 89.) In fact on Uconn Chong has 73 and ranks 6th, while 3rd ranked player on Baylor has 70. In Uconn's offense, every player is expected to be a good passer and every player is expected to score when open (50% or better!) so no one player accumulates that many assists.

The same is true for scoring - Uconn has almost never has a player highly ranked in scoring average because the ball is shared so well.

Reaction Score
I always find these numbers interesting and it gets down to the style of offense uconn runs. Uconn leads the nation in assists per game by basically one assist/game - #2 is Baylor. The difference is that Uconn may well have five players with 100+ assists - Baylor likely will only have 1 (possibly 2 as Wright is sitting at 89.) In fact on Uconn Chong has 73 and ranks 6th, while 3rd ranked player on Baylor has 70. In Uconn's offense, every player is expected to be a good passer and every player is expected to score when open (50% or better!) so no one player accumulates that many assists.

The same is true for scoring - Uconn has almost never has a player highly ranked in scoring average because the ball is shared so well.

Totally agree! In the offence UCONN runs (which is beautiful to watch) MoJeff generally calls the plays and makes sure the players are in the right spacing. She then initiates the play which usually takes a minimum of 2 to 3 passes to create an open shot. Does the offence work? Most points per game by a team in NCAA Div I. Highest team FG %, by far at 54.4% (4.5pp above the #2 team). Highest assists per game. And #2 on A/T ratio.

MoJeff is the general in charge of that offence, and by the nature of it, doesn't generate as much individual assists for her as a traditional drive and dish point guard would do. She can certainly do the drive and dish if needed, as good or better than anybody else in Div I. She shouldn't be judged only by assists -- instead the team's total offensive success are due to her floor leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom