Sometimes | The Boneyard

Sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sometimes you just have one of those games when everything goes wrong. First we hear about Omar and Lubin being sent home and then once the game starts we aren't ready for their press. Next Purvis blows a fastbreak dunk and gets hurt, it all spiraled out of control after that. We made a spirited run to start the second half but nothing really seemed to be going right the entire day. Not going to dwell on this loss at all but I know Ollie will have their full attention after this and they should learn from it. One positive was Facey showed he could finish around the rim and he boarded again. Boat let his emotions get a bit out of control today and Ollie is going to school him on his importance as a leader.

Reaction Score
It's a shame about Purvis too, as this would have been the type of wide open court game he would excel at.

Make a few more free throws here and a few 3-pointers there and we are right in it. Hell, if that goaltend gets properly called we probably could've had the momentum to make it even. From there, who knows.

Reaction Score
The way they played they didn't even deserve the win if they had found a way to pull it off. Just gotta put it behind you and prepare for what's next

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Ugly early on but I think there were some positives in this game... First would obviously be Facey, I really liked him in this tourney on both ends. I was happy with the battle on the boards but I hate when we contest in the paint then give up that offensive rebound..Even with Hamilton struggling with turnovers hes still an absolute stud and I think some of those passes are ones he knows he could snag but maybe overestimated the smaller guards ability.... Overall the turnovers just come with young guards and first experience seeing a collegiate press.. I dont think the press was even that impressive and we did beat it nicely a couple times. A good press would be Louisvilles' and that couldve got ugly if we saw them tonight. Brimah was open early on down on the post and I wouldve liked to see him get those touches..Also looked like boat couldve got in the lane at will and I wouldve liked to see him attract extra defenders for the Brimah oop or kick to D ham. Overall I think this was a great game for Ollie to get these boys working in practice on these flaws/errors. Im sure the three ball will come back stronger as well. Lastly would love to see D ham run off screens like Rip used to for the pistons, this kids shot is quick and pure...

Reaction Score
It was extremely ugly. We had shots, they just weren't falling. From this they will learn how to position themselves and pass against the press. Gives them a blue print of what they need to work on. Not the end of the world though.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I wonder how this affects Purvis and Brimah being lottery picks this year?

Reaction Score
CardiacAndre7 said:
Brimah having 4 rebounds in 30 minutes is unacceptable

If you are demanding a certain amount of rebounds from Brimah a night, you will often be disappointed. He isn't very good at it, He has decent hands on passes (when he can measure the trajectory and know the ball is coming his way), but he doesn't react to quick caroms well , with his hands or his feet (or deflections/loose balls for that matter). It feels like our best scenario is for him to occupy a body or two and let Facey and Hamilton go get it.

It may be the thing that holds him back from leaving early (or at least after his sophomore year), so in a way it isn't bad that he has a clear flaw in his resume.

Reaction Score
If you are demanding a certain amount of rebounds from Brimah a night, you will often be disappointed. He isn't very good at it, He has decent hands on passes (when he can measure the trajectory and know the ball is coming his way), but he doesn't react to quick caroms well , with his hands or his feet (or deflections/loose balls for that matter). It feels like our best scenario is for him to occupy a body or two and let Facey and Hamilton go get it.

It may be the thing that holds him back from leaving early (or at least after his sophomore year), so in a way it isn't bad that he has a clear flaw in his resume.
Positioning is a huge issue for him. Either he's simply not in good starting position for a rebound or he just gets boxed way out.

Reaction Score
Rocktheworld said:
Positioning is a huge issue for him. Either he's simply not in good starting position for a rebound or he just gets boxed way out.

That's part of it. But there was a late rebound that sort of summed up his issues - where the WV guy was boxing him out. It turned into a long rebound over both their heads, and the WV guy read it, spun around Brimah and chased it done near the sideline. Brimah never reacted to the ball, and essentially got boxed out on both sides by the same guy. Those are the sort of plays where he's more like a young, awkward Thabeet than an Okafor, who reacted well to everything and moved fluidly. He just doesn't process what's happening sometimes until it's too late.

Reaction Score
Brimah has only been playing a short while and he needs another year at least. Just because he's a 7 foot shot blocker doesn't mean he should go. He was up against some sturdy boys tonight and he got pushed around.

Reaction Score
Sometimes you have an intelligent poster who does a bad job with thread titles and doesnt understand how to separate paragraphs.
I dispute the intelligent part.
Can you guys just let this crap go? Its a message board for crying out loud not a thesis. I don't mind the bad posts/threads/titles because we all share to same passion. We lost tonight, no reason to cannibalize each other.

Reaction Score
NightDog said:
We lost tonight, no reason to cannibalize each other.
Wait, who suggested eating each other? One loss really drives some people to drastic measures, but that seems a bit over the top.

Reaction Score
Brimah having 4 rebounds in 30 minutes is unacceptable

Brimah isn't a good rebounder, never in position and never tries to get away from getting boxed out instead always reaching over. Spin, do something if you're weak. The things he needed to get better on which is the knowledge of the position have not happened, it will be a while before he's as good as we hope him to be. Still a solid kid but long way to go - just like most of the team.

Reaction Score
Can you guys just let this crap go? Its a message board for crying out loud not a thesis. I don't mind the bad posts/threads/titles because we all share to same passion. We lost tonight, no reason to cannibalize each other.

You do realize that superjohn was the OP, right? Calm the hell down.

Reaction Score
Brimah has only been playing a short while and he needs another year at least. Just because he's a 7 foot shot blocker doesn't mean he should go. He was up against some sturdy boys tonight and he got pushed around.

Sturdy?? Those were some big mofos and quick too. It was good to see Nolan matched up because he didn't look like a toothpick (think uk). Brimah could have dominated but he is inexperienced. He should watch some Kareem tapes as he always appeared overmatched but his sky-hook and savviness always made his 7 foot frame an advantage.

Of course I'm not saying Brimah is Kareem, I'm just saying he's 7 feet, quick and athletic and has something (i.e. a lot) to work with. I just hope he doesn't take the Thabeet route, because he appears to need at least one but preferably two more years.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Brimahs young you gotta call some sets for him and get him involved itll pay off in the long run.. He posted up early and was ignored...Are guards have to penetrate more too.. Hamilton, Boat, Purvis can get in that lane no problem... Best part about Uconn ball is we have the guys with big hearts and strive to get better. Long season ahead les goo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom