Someone Tell Me About St. Joe's | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Someone Tell Me About St. Joe's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
huskiesnyc said:
I remember Gottlieb going on and on about how Cohen was going to shut down Kemba. It still makes me laugh

Bucknell actually had a pretty good defensive scheme to slow Kemba down. The down side was that their collapsing defense left the corners wide open. So Lamb and Roscoe just stood in the corner and had a shooting drill, and Kemba had 12 or 13 assists.

If those guys were cold, it might've worked. They weren't and it didn't.

Reaction Score
2. If St. Joe's does in fact play at a slow pace (209th in adjusted tempo per kenpom, but that can be misleading - we're 246th, for instance)

KenPom lists average possession length: They are 251st on O and 107 on D, so they don't defend for long periods of time but are deliberate on offense, which coincides with our numbers (long D, medium O length). Expect long D posessions for UConn.

Hell, here is their KenPom scouting report:

VuDiXOO.jpg

Reaction Score
Couple of quick thoughts (without having seen them play, so take it with a grain of salt):

1. Per kenpom, they're 49th in the country (68th in offense, 55th in defense). By comparison, Memphis is 66th in offense and 53rd and defense, so the two are basically identical from a statistical perspective, and we enjoyed a lot of success against Memphis this season (that said, two of the games went down to the wire, so it wasn't as if they were a pushover). Most of our losses this season have come against teams with elite defenses (Ville x3, SMU x2, Cincy), so the fact that St. Joe's appears to have a defense we can score on is comforting. The only perplexing losses were Stanford (and that may have just been because we had no clue how to solve a zone) and obviously Houston.

2. If St. Joe's does in fact play at a slow pace (209th in adjusted tempo per kenpom, but that can be misleading - we're 246th, for instance), it becomes all the more imperative to jump out to a quick lead. For all the pundit talk about how "it's easier to slow a team down than speed them up", do you know who generally controls tempo? The team that's ahead. If we lead early and are able to sustain that lead into the second half, St. Joe's is going to be forced to deviate from their deliberate style and take high degree of difficulty shots early in the shot clock. That plays right into our hands. If, on the other hand, UConn trails by eight or more in the second half, our margin for error is razor thin.

3. TV timeouts in the NCAA Tournament are nearly twice as long, so that could be to the benefit of St. Joe's and their thin bench. That doesn't protect them from foul trouble, though, which is why, again UConn needs to be in attack mode early. My feeling is if UConn jumps out to an early lead, St. Joe's is a team that may struggle to score points against our defense. They performed very well against a strong VCU defense both times this season, but VCU differs a bit in that their defense is largely predicated on turning people over. Against Villanova, St. Joe's shot just 37% from the field.

My general thought is that this is a pretty good team playing good basketball at the right time. I think UConn should win, but St. Joe's just won the A-10 Tournament - that's no small accomplishment, and they had to beat a team of similar caliber to us (VCU) to do it. I certainly will not be taking them lightly in the least bit.

I like this post. #3 is good stuff, never even thought about that.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen them this year saw them twice last year. I know the big european guy can shoot. Also they can get up and down the court fast. Of course they're well coached...

Martelli may be a "good" coach but he is absolutely the biggest a**hole coaching in D1. There is no team I would want to embarrass more, and anything we can do to humiliate him and the school that keeps hiring him is fine by me. i don't want to just beat them, I want to run them off the court. Of course I'll settle for the "W". As to the reasons for my animosity I offer the following quote:

Naturally, O'Brien (a graduating senior) had to tell his current coach, Martelli, about the decision. According to his account, that's when things got strange:

I met with Coach Martelli to inform him that I would not be returning. I had hoped he would be understanding; just a few weeks before, we had stood next to each other at graduation as my parents snapped photo. Unfortunately, he did not take it well. After calling me a few choice words, he informed me that he would make some calls so that I would be dropped from my summer class and would no longer graduate. He also said that he was going to sue me. When he asked if I still planned on leaving, I was at a loss for words. He calmed down a bit and said we should think this over then meet again in a few days. I left his office angry and worried he would make me drop the classes.

A few days later I again met with Coach Martelli. This time I stopped by athletic director Don DiJulia's office beforehand to inform him of my decision. I told him I would be applying to grad schools elsewhere. He was very nice and understanding. He wished me the best of luck and said to keep in touch. Relieved that Mr. DiJulia had taken the news well, I went to Coach Martelli's office. I told him that my mind had not changed, and that I planned on enrolling in grad school elsewhere. I recall his words vividly: "Regardless of what the rule is I'll never release you. If you're not playing basketball at St. Joe's next year, you won't be playing anywhere."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Seth Greenberg predicts that we will lose to St. Joe's...says that Galloway will go off against us.

He thought the same thing when he coached at Virginia Tech. Look how well that worked out.

Reaction Score
Slowish guards with mediocre ball-handling skills? Use some pressure to turn them over and/or speed up the tempo and prevent Karnacevic from being able orchestrate down low. Do NOT go under screens allowing the slower guards to shoot. Our quick guards should be able to go over screens and recover. We have a height advantage down low, should we front their two bulky guys?

My big concern down low in every game is foul trouble. If St. Joe's bigs have the solid low post moves described in scouting reports. Brimah,Nolan and Olander have to be patient; and not reach or fall for ball fakes. I really think how far we go in the tournament will be determined by how well our bigs play and what game Daniels brings to the party.

GO HUSKIES!!!
BEAT THE HAWKS!!!
555.jpg

ncaa-feet-2011-finals-4.jpg

Reaction Score
Martelli may be a "good" coach but he is absolutely the biggest a**hole coaching in D1. There is no team I would want to embarrass more, and anything we can do to humiliate him and the school that keeps hiring him is fine by me. i don't want to just beat them, I want to run them off the court. Of course I'll settle for the "W". As to the reasons for my animosity I offer the following quote:

That is incredible. I would hope incidents like that are few and far between on any D-1 campus. It would be very hard to continue to be a fan of college hoops if that was the norm not the exception.

GO HUSKIES!!!
BEAT THE HAWKS!!!

555.jpg

cincinnati-beats-uconn-blog.jpg

Naturally, O'Brien (a graduating senior) had to tell his current coach, Martelli, about the decision. According to his account, that's when things got strange:

I met with Coach Martelli to inform him that I would not be returning. I had hoped he would be understanding; just a few weeks before, we had stood next to each other at graduation as my parents snapped photo. Unfortunately, he did not take it well. After calling me a few choice words, he informed me that he would make some calls so that I would be dropped from my summer class and would no longer graduate. He also said that he was going to sue me. When he asked if I still planned on leaving, I was at a loss for words. He calmed down a bit and said we should think this over then meet again in a few days. I left his office angry and worried he would make me drop the classes.

A few days later I again met with Coach Martelli. This time I stopped by athletic director Don DiJulia's office beforehand to inform him of my decision. I told him I would be applying to grad schools elsewhere. He was very nice and understanding. He wished me the best of luck and said to keep in touch. Relieved that Mr. DiJulia had taken the news well, I went to Coach Martelli's office. I told him that my mind had not changed, and that I planned on enrolling in grad school elsewhere. I recall his words vividly: "Regardless of what the rule is I'll never release you. If you're not playing basketball at St. Joe's next year, you won't be playing anywhere."

Reaction Score
As a UMass fan who watched us split with St. Joe's this year I'll tell you one thing about them.....Get Daniels and Brimah fired up to play and you guys will be watching Villanova tape Friday morning getting ready to play the Wildcats!!

Reaction Score

I joined solely to respond to this message. I am not trying to stir the pot, but there was a lot that went on that wasn't reported. Also, please remember you're referencing an article written by TOB. It's only one side of the story.

TOB got suspended for stealing laptops. Another player was removed from the team. TOB also appealed SJUs ruling TWICE, and the NCAA sided with SJU TWICE. Do a quick search of the number of students who have left the program over the past 6-7 years. There have been a large number of students who wanted to leave the program, for one reason or another, and were given the opportunity.

I actually saved you the time and googled "SJU basketball transfer by year" and found an article titled "Phil Martelli's Transfer Mill Continues At Saint Josephs." Here is a quick snippet from the article (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...continues-at-saint-josephs-pa-justin-crosgile) :

"Saint Joseph's (PA) has had a double digit number of transfers since 2005. A shocking number for any school, and a huge indication of the problems in Phil Martelli's program.

Here is a quick list of all the transfers that Saint Joseph's (PA) has had in the past few years:
  1. Abdoulai Jalloh
  2. Jordan Fowler
  3. Alvin Mofunanya
  4. Jawan Carter
  5. Rockwell Moody
  6. DJ Rivera
  7. Chris Prescott
  8. Temi Adebayo
  9. Bryant Irwin
  10. AJ Rogers
  11. Dominic Rutledge
  12. Justin Crosgile (?)"
Crosgile did end up transferring, as did Carl Baptist (Delaware) and Patrick Swilling Jr. (Tulsa). All of which played on the same 2010-2011 Hawks team with TOB.

There's clearly more to the story than what was reported. I have not been a fan of Phil's for the past 4-5 years (he was great this year), but I still felt the need to sign up for a UConn bball forum to defend him. TOB is trash, as a human being, as well as a basketball player.

Here's another link referencing the number of recent transfers and the transfer situation (http://www.examiner.com/article/martelli-not-to-blame-todd-o-brien-fiasco):

"Saint Joseph's will not reveal the reasons why they have refused to sign the waiver, citing privacy rules. In the SI.com piece, O'Brien said that Martelli became irate when he notified the coach of his intention to leave the program and enroll in a different school for graduate school. The question is, why was Martelli so upset over O'Brien leaving when he was probably either the 9th or 10th player in the rotation for the upcoming season?

Martelli has a track record of making sure players who may not fit into the program's plans or players who want to leave because of lack of playing time land on their feet. Recent examples of this include Chris Prescott (Saint Peter's), A.J. Rogers (Norfolk State) and Bryant Irwin (Furman). Those are players from the 2009-10 roster who have transferred to other Division-I schools, while Justin Crosgile from the 2010-11 squad is sitting out this year before he plays for Eastern Washington next year. The point is, Martelli does not typically hold grudges against players just because it doesn't work out at St. Joe's...

By the NCAA's own rules, O'Brien is not eligible for this waiver. It is there in black and white, yet the national media wants to villify Phil Martelli. The outrage should be levelled at the NCAA, not Martelli, who is the conveient scapegoat because O'Brien's relationship with the coach seemed to have broken down, much like it did with his coach at Bucknell. Does anybody sense a pattern here?" (This article is well worth the read in full, as I only grabbed snippets.)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this story dragged our program through the mud for no real reason and still infuriates me to this day.

Wish you nothing but the best on Thursday night, and I hope for a well played (and well officiated) game.

The Hawk Will Never Die.

Last edited:

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
Isn't this the school with the gay bird that never stops flapping its wings during games?

Reaction Score
I joined solely to respond to this message. I am not trying to stir the pot, but there was a lot that went on that wasn't reported. Also, please remember you're referencing an article written by TOB. It's only one side of the story.

TOB got suspended for stealing laptops. Another player was removed from the team. TOB also appealed SJUs ruling TWICE, and the NCAA sided with SJU TWICE. Do a quick search of the number of students who have left the program over the past 6-7 years. There have been a large number of students who wanted to leave the program, for one reason or another, and were given the opportunity.

I actually saved you the time and googled "SJU basketball transfer by year" and found an article titled "Phil Martelli's Transfer Mill Continues At Saint Josephs." Here is a quick snippet from the article (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...continues-at-saint-josephs-pa-justin-crosgile) :

"Saint Joseph's (PA) has had a double digit number of transfers since 2005. A shocking number for any school, and a huge indication of the problems in Phil Martelli's program.

Here is a quick list of all the transfers that Saint Joseph's (PA) has had in the past few years:

1. [ ]Abdoulai Jalloh
    [ ]Jordan Fowler
    [ ]Alvin Mofunanya
    [ ]Jawan Carter
    [ ]Rockwell Moody
    [ ]DJ Rivera
    [ ]Chris Prescott
    [ ]Temi Adebayo
    [ ]Bryant Irwin
    [ ]AJ Rogers
    [ ]Dominic Rutledge
    [ ]Justin Crosgile (?)"
Crosgile did end up transferring, as did Carl Baptist (Delaware) and Patrick Swilling Jr. (Tulsa). All of which played on the same 2010-2011 Hawks team with TOB.

There's clearly more to the story than what was reported. I have not been a fan of Phil's for the past 4-5 years (he was great this year), but I still felt the need to sign up for a UConn bball forum to defend him. TOB is trash, as a human being, as well as a basketball player.

Here's another link referencing the number of recent transfers and the transfer situation (http://www.examiner.com/article/martelli-not-to-blame-todd-o-brien-fiasco):

"Saint Joseph's will not reveal the reasons why they have refused to sign the waiver, citing privacy rules. In the SI.com piece, O'Brien said that Martelli became irate when he notified the coach of his intention to leave the program and enroll in a different school for graduate school. The question is, why was Martelli so upset over O'Brien leaving when he was probably either the 9th or 10th player in the rotation for the upcoming season?

Martelli has a track record of making sure players who may not fit into the program's plans or players who want to leave because of lack of playing time land on their feet. Recent examples of this include Chris Prescott (Saint Peter's), A.J. Rogers (Norfolk State) and Bryant Irwin (Furman). Those are players from the 2009-10 roster who have transferred to other Division-I schools, while Justin Crosgile from the 2010-11 squad is sitting out this year before he plays for Eastern Washington next year. The point is, Martelli does not typically hold grudges against players just because it doesn't work out at St. Joe's...

By the NCAA's own rules, O'Brien is not eligible for this waiver. It is there in black and white, yet the national media wants to villify Phil Martelli. The outrage should be levelled at the NCAA, not Martelli, who is the conveient scapegoat because O'Brien's relationship with the coach seemed to have broken down, much like it did with his coach at Bucknell. Does anybody sense a pattern here?" (This article is well worth the read in full, as I only grabbed snippets.)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this story dragged our program through the mud for no real reason and still infuriates me to this day.

Wish you nothing but the best on Thursday night, and I hope for a well played (and well officiated) game.

The Hawk Will Never Die.

1) O'brien was eligible for the waiver to the same extent that Kromah was eligible to come to Uconn. They both needed waivers from the head coach of their previous school to go play as a graduate student for a school in another conference the following year. This is normally pro-forma. Personally, I don't understand why the old coach has any say in the matter whatsoever, but that's the NCAA for you, any chance to screw an athlete and they're ready to go.

2) I don't care if O'brien was the biggest creep on the planet, Martelli had no right, in any way shape or form, to mess with his life once he graduated. Which is precisely what he did. When I first heard this story I was livid. The idea that this megalomaniacal little dirtbag was screwing with this kids life is unbelievable. Who * is Martelli and how the hell did he get the right to do this -- oh yeah, i forgot, the NCAA gave him the right. Of course if Martelli decided to leave St. Jo for another team none of his recruits could say a word -not that there's any other program that would take him.

3) The fact that this action is atypical carries the same weight as when a DUI runs somebody over - once is more than enough.

4) The fact that the school administration didn't step in and fix this lets me know that this is a school I will badmouth at all times in front of all people - as far as I'm concerned St. Jo can't loose enough until that pri*ck is fired.

I wish for your team nothing but a plague of locusts, I hope the refs screw your guys on every call.

Reaction Score
1) O'brien was eligible for the waiver to the same extent that Kromah was eligible to come to Uconn. They both needed waivers from the head coach of their previous school to go play as a graduate student for a school in another conference the following year. This is normally pro-forma. Personally, I don't understand why the old coach has any say in the matter whatsoever, but that's the NCAA for you, any chance to screw an athlete and they're ready to go.

2) I don't care if O'brien was the biggest creep on the planet, Martelli had no right, in any way shape or form, to mess with his life once he graduated. Which is precisely what he did. When I first heard this story I was livid. The idea that this megalomaniacal little dirtbag was screwing with this kids life is unbelievable. Who * is Martelli and how the hell did he get the right to do this -- oh yeah, i forgot, the NCAA gave him the right. Of course if Martelli decided to leave St. Jo for another team none of his recruits could say a word -not that there's any other program that would take him.

3) The fact that this action is atypical carries the same weight as when a DUI runs somebody over - once is more than enough.

4) The fact that the school administration didn't step in and fix this lets me know that this is a school I will badmouth at all times in front of all people - as far as I'm concerned St. Jo can't loose enough until that pri*ck is fired.

I wish for your team nothing but a plague of locusts, I hope the refs screw your guys on every call.

1. Since you're incapable of opening a link, I'll post the most relevant piece of information here for you:

"One important fact that seems to have been glossed over in wake of yesterday's revelations by O'Brien is the fact that a five-member committee from the NCAA also denied O'Brien's waiver and while O'Brien stated it was only because Saint Joseph's refused to sign off on it, the reason actually appears to be because the NCAA is following its own rules. Among the conditions for a graduate student waiver from the NCAA is this: "The student-athlete may not have transferred previously from another four-year institution unless he or she transferred previously and received an exception to the transfer residence requirement because his or her institution either discontinued the sport or did not sponsor the sport in which the student-athlete is a participant." O'Brien transferred from Bucknell after one season to play at Saint Joseph's and it had nothing to do with the Patriot League member discontinuing its basketball program as the Bison are still alive and well."

Kromah didn't transfer from another 4 year college to GW, and then ask for another waiver to play at UConn for grad school. Your entire first point is incorrect. Get a clue, you look ignorant.

2. Your facts are still incorrect and it wasn't Martelli who "messed with the kids life," it was the NCAA. In case you have trouble reading and following along, I bolded it above for you.

3. He could have been kicked out of school, much like the other kid. Then what school would have let him in? Not many schools would jump to grab a below average basketball player who just got expelled from his last university.

4. Much like the rest of your post, SJU couldn't do anything. The NCAA would have had to step in and "fix the situation."

Tried being civil and posting relevant information so you could educate yourself. It literally took me 10 minutes to post those articles and information. Don't believe everything you hear...Isn't UCONN in trouble again regarding their APR? I thought I just recently read an AP article that mentioned them specifically...

Point and case.

To the rest of you, best of luck.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Dude who cares about Martelli, the fact that he said, "The only thing I know about UConn is their women's basketball" is grounds for a blow-out. Granted he could have been joking, but that makes it worse. I really hope we silence all our disbelievers Thursday night.

Reaction Score
1. Since you're incapable of opening a link, I'll post the most relevant piece of information here for you:

"One important fact that seems to have been glossed over in wake of yesterday's revelations by O'Brien is the fact that a five-member committee from the NCAA also denied O'Brien's waiver and while O'Brien stated it was only because Saint Joseph's refused to sign off on it, the reason actually appears to be because the NCAA is following its own rules. Among the conditions for a graduate student waiver from the NCAA is this: "The student-athlete may not have transferred previously from another four-year institution unless he or she transferred previously and received an exception to the transfer residence requirement because his or her institution either discontinued the sport or did not sponsor the sport in which the student-athlete is a participant." O'Brien transferred from Bucknell after one season to play at Saint Joseph's and it had nothing to do with the Patriot League member discontinuing its basketball program as the Bison are still alive and well."

Kromah didn't transfer from another 4 year college to GW, and then ask for another waiver to play at UConn for grad school. Your entire first point is incorrect. Get a clue, you look ignorant.

2. Your facts are still incorrect and it wasn't Martelli who "messed with the kids life," it was the NCAA. In case you have trouble reading and following along, I bolded it above for you.

3. He could have been kicked out of school, much like the other kid. Then what school would have let him in? Not many schools would jump to grab a below average basketball player who just got expelled from his last university.

4. Much like the rest of your post, SJU couldn't do anything. The NCAA would have had to step in and "fix the situation."

Tried being civil and posting relevant information so you could educate yourself. It literally took me 10 minutes to post those articles and information. Don't believe everything you hear...Isn't UCONN in trouble again regarding their APR? I thought I just recently read an AP article that mentioned them specifically...

Point and case.

Mike Moser transferred from UCLA to UNLV after his freshman year, then after his redshirt junior year he graduated and transferred again to Oregon and did not have to sit out a year. How is Moser's situtation any different than O'Brien? Josh Davis also did the same thing, transferred from NC State to Tulane, then he just transferred this past season to San Diego St as a grad transfer.

Reaction Score

Point and case.

From your quoted article, apparently written by a writer (Ryan Home) covering St. Jo's for examiner.com (and therefore totally neutral).

"However, Saint Joseph's has refused to sign off on the waiver. Saint Joseph's will not reveal the reasons why they have refused to sign the waiver, citing privacy rules."

If the problem was solely the NCAA, then why didn't Martelli and St. Joseph's sign the waiver? Why didn't St. Joseph's simply state that O'Brien was ineligible for a waiver. Instead they keep everything cloaked under "privacy rules." If the issue was strictly his having transferred previously, that is a matter of public record, so where does privacy come in?

I remember following this case closely when it happened, strictly as a parent of a kid not much older than O'Brien. Nobody else claimed that this was strictly about NCAA rules, and that includes St. Joseph's and Martelli. O'Brien went on the record with his version of the events, the school and Martelli hid behind "privacy rules." I believe O'Brien went on to attend UAB, but could not play ball, so apparently UAB didn't find his behavior unacceptable.

It sounds like O'Brien led Martelli to believe he would play for him that season and then changed his mind at the last minute, leaving Martelli short handed for the upcoming season. I don't doubt that O'Brien is not a good guy, but I don't care, he's a kid, Martelli's a grown man and simply because he had the ability and power to be vindictive, he was, and the school backed his play. Until I see something a bit more substantial then the conjectures and rules interpretation of Ryan Home, I will keep wishing St. Jo's the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom