Some thought from Aresco on TV Contract/Scheduling/Bowls | The Boneyard

Some thought from Aresco on TV Contract/Scheduling/Bowls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
via Brian Murphy @ Idaho Statesman:

• It could be weeks or months before the Big East is prepared to announce a television contract, Commissioner Mike Aresco told the Idaho Statesman on Thursday. "I don't know whether we're in the second inning or the third inning. We have a long way to go," Aresco said.
  • On divisional alignment: Aresco said Temple was on board with being placed in the Big East's West Division. He said Temple understood that when it rejoined the Big East this year it might have to be in the west. Aresco said the plan is to minimize travel as much as possible.
    "We owe it to the student-athletes and the players not to have to burden them with too much travel," Aresco said. "... We don't want the western teams having to come to the far eastern part of the country twice if we can help it."
  • On divisional scheduling: Aresco said it more likely that teams will play the same three cross-divisional schools in 2013 and 2014. There had been talk of playing three in '13 and the other three teams in '14, but the logistics might be too complicated.
  • On determining who hosts the conference championship game: "Conference record would be a prime candidate," Aresco said.
  • On access to the new playoff system and top-tier bowls: The Big East champion is assured of a spot in one of the top six bowl games, provided it ranks higher than conference champions from Mountain West, Conference USA, Sun Belt and MAC. "We've given our teams a chance. We've given our teams a pretty clear path. Would I like the Big East champ to have it all to our own? Of course. But you play the hand you're dealt," Aresco said.
Read More Here

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
who cares, were going to th mac soon.

Reaction Score
If our champ is not ranked higher than the rest of the second tier conferences then we will all need some HFD's meds.

Reaction Score
Go take you meds... Things will be better when they get back to therapeutic levels.

/sarcasm off

Meds are your friend...

image.jpg

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
If our champ is not ranked higher than the rest of the second tier conferences then we will all need some HFD's meds.

i hate to be a dick but i can see ecu type running train on the new cusa and no undefeated big east teams being a problem.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I expected a deal to be done a lot sooner. The Big East has had months to figure this stuff out. Everyone should have all the data about the Big East that they need.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I expected a deal to be done a lot sooner. The Big East has had months to figure this stuff out. Everyone should have all the data about the Big East that they need.

The multi-million dollar question is when does time go from being a negotiating asset to a liability where there's a hard calendar date when a deal must get done.

This is one of those negotiations where holding out for the absolute, 100% highest dollar amount quickly crashes due to a contract having to get done.

Reaction Score

Yeah.. I guess the Conference's lead media rights consultant/negotiator (hired mid-august) is stringing thing along trying milk a few more billable hours out of Aresco. We are only two weeks out from expiration of exclusive window w/ ESPN. Patience... Billions on the hook.

Reaction Score
We should play the inflation card when it comes to a TV contract.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Yeah.. I guess the Conference's lead media rights consultant/negotiator (hired mid-august) is stringing thing along trying milk a few more billable hours out of Aresco. We are only two weeks out from expiration of exclusive window w/ ESPN. Patience... Billions on the hook.
I thought we were out of that already? Sept/Oct with the extension because of Sandy done as well?

Not sure where to find that schedule, anyone have a link?

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
i hate to be a dick but i can see ecu type running train on the new cusa and no undefeated big east teams being a problem.

And I can see the Bristol Boys hyping the bejeezus out of said ECU-type team to compound the problem.

Well maybe not ECU particularly, because they don't deal with CUSA or the MWC. But a UL-Monroe or Ohio U., from leagues they sponsor? Most definitely...

Reaction Score
I thought we were out of that already? Sept/Oct with the extension because of Sandy done as well?

Not sure where to find that schedule, anyone have a link?

Ah - bad wording on my part - It was suppose to be end of October and it was extended 4 or 5 days due to Sandy, so it's only been expired a few weeks.

Reaction Score
From previous reports, it sounds like the Big East is putting together a multi-party package with ESPN, NBC, CBS and maybe even someone else for pieces of its deal. Putting together a deal with a large group like that is much more complicated than dealing with a single entity. Add in the need to put together a football only, basketball only, and all sports deal that is acceptable to all parties and it doesn't surprise me it is taking some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom