Some pretty blunt assessments from Jim Mora | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Some pretty blunt assessments from Jim Mora

Reaction Score
Different standards. With Hurley, the expectations were to be making deep runs in the tournament. We also had clear improvement year over year.

With Mora, the expectation is to be competent, which we are not and have actually taken a step back.

Additionally, Hurley has hit home runs with every assistant hire. Mora has missed with both his OC and DC, and by the looks of it, the Special teams coach as well.
I doubt that Mora has the money that Hurley has. Mora has a much tougher job. Maybe an impossible job. For everyone who wants him replaced, let’s see how the next guy does. Not optimistic.

Reaction Score
I'd agree with the assistant hires, but that is correctible (and unlike red pants, I think he will listen to the AD). Mora has a proven prior track record, and UConn has some structural issues that are out of his control. We beat BC (granted, a big ask) and UMass, and I'd still feel the season wasn't a step back from last year. If we lose both, he's in the hot seat. That said, I think our long-term football future is going to be decided in this off season.

Reaction Score
I doubt that Mora has the money that Hurley has. Mora has a much tougher job. Maybe an impossible job. For everyone who wants him replaced, let’s see how the next guy does. Not optimistic.

Let’s see who the next guy is. It won’t be pretty.

Reaction Score
I'd agree with the assistant hires, but that is correctible (and unlike red pants, I think he will listen to the AD). Mora has a proven prior track record, and UConn has some structural issues that are out of his control. We beat BC (granted, a big ask) and UMass, and I'd still feel the season wasn't a step back from last year. If we lose both, he's in the hot seat. That said, I think our long-term football future is going to be decided in this off season.

Come on. He won’t be in the hot seat after one bad season.

WHO ELSE WOULD COME HERE? Good lord this place is dumb.

Reaction Score
Wish we hadn't made a bowl game last year because we did is putting to much expectation on this season. Had we only won 3 or 4 games last year I believe people wouldn't have the same feelings about this year.

Reaction Score

You don't think Chaney from Holy Cross won't take the job if offered? Or any of the other top north east FCS coaches?

There's more than enought resources to be competitive.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It would be nice to see some of our Alumni put some money up in the program, looking at you Danny O. He wants to constantly promote the program and takes the lumps like a trooper on TV, maybe he can also help out and donate some cash. I'm sure there are plenty of NBA alumni donating.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
You don't think Chaney from Holy Cross won't take the job if offered? Or any of the other top north east FCS coaches?

No, I think any young, up and coming coach looking to raise their stock would stay as far away from here as possible. Mora flat out laid bare why we are a failure of a program and why it's hard for him to get what he needs. If you're a young coach, why would you even look at a program like UConn? Maybe we'd get Nick Charlton....

Reaction Score

All I'm saying is that if we only beat Sacred Heart for the remainder of the season, the finger pointing is going to ramp up (are you reading these posts, people are already asking for his head). I'm not jumping on that bandwagon. I think Mora will get at least another two years to turn things around, but I do expect a house cleaning this off season and a concerted effort to address the NIL issue.

Reaction Score
We heard the same thing about Hurly a few years ago ("Can't win in the tournament"). I agree that this one really hurts, but we have to take a breadth. Mora's prior track record shouldn't be so easily dismissed. He's right about the NIL and he can't make the catches on the field. That said, I still think he gives us the best chance to turn things around. There are structural issues that have to be addressed (and I think they will be addressed).

This was never going to be an easy turnaround.
He’s not like Hurley.. Hurley always had his teams ready to play even when he didn’t have the talent…i like Mora but he has said things I don’t like.. like telling recruits that we are joining the aac or the big 12… or blaming the acc for making a bad call..or this latest thing of blaming nil for losing

Reaction Score
All I'm saying is that if we only beat Sacred Heart for the remainder of the season, the finger pointing is going to ramp up (are you reading these posts, people are already asking for his head). I'm not jumping on that bandwagon. I think Mora will get at least another two years to turn things around, but I do expect a house cleaning this off season and a concerted effort to address the NIL issue.
Who are these people “expecting” all trhis stuff? I feel like at the board meeting of Berkshire Hathaway. Everyone is expecting. Mora is on the hot seat. We’ll bring in Nick Sabin if Mora doesn’t produce. ?? Where does all this nonsense come from? Look the issue is money. NIL is money. Money. Like $$$$. That stuff. I doubt anyone on here is putting a lot of $$$$ into Uconn’s NIL pool. There’s a lot of talk. Old saying: $$$ talks, bs walks. Truth old as dirt. So if you’re not giving any $$$$, then stfu.

Reaction Score
Who are these people “expecting” all trhis stuff? I feel like at the board meeting of Berkshire Hathaway. Everyone is expecting. Mora is on the hot seat. We’ll bring in Nick Sabin if Mora doesn’t produce. ?? Where does all this nonsense come from? Look the issue is money. NIL is money. Money. Like $$$$. That stuff. I doubt anyone on here is putting a lot of $$$$ into Uconn’s NIL pool. There’s a lot of talk. Old saying: $$$ talks, bs walks. Truth old as dirt. So if you’re not giving any $$$$, then stfu.
Btw, not addressed to you. Just in general. Not you.

Reaction Score
Maybe so, but FCS coaches have FCS talent? How would we know they could command higher level FBS talent?

Reaction Score
i like Mora but he has said things I don’t like.. like telling recruits that we are joining the aac or the big 12
You sure about that… I may have missed the story on that but which recruit specifically did he tell that?

Reaction Score
You sure about that… I may have missed the story on that but which recruit specifically did he tell that?
Cole Welliver said that it was brought up during his recruitment.

Welliver did say that the idea of UConn moving to the Big 12 conference, a rumor that has resurfaced in recent weeks, was brought up on his visit. “They were talking about the Big 12 and moving to the Big 12; saying how, if it does go through, how such a big deal that would be for all of the players and the school.”

Reaction Score
i like Mora but he has said things I don’t like.. like telling recruits that we are joining the aac or the big 12
Cole Welliver said that it was brought up during his recruitment.
Agreed… he was addressing a rumor and if it came to fruition it would be great for the players/program. He made no representation that we were joining the Big12.

The joining the ACC comment was made to Jackson Harper as one of Mora’s goal in future years.

Reaction Score
Agreed… he was addressing a rumor and if it came to fruition it would be great for the players/program. He made no representation that we were joining the Big12.
Did Welliver bring it up or did Mora bring it up? I think that is the issue.

Reaction Score
Btw, not addressed to you. Just in general. Not you.
No problem. We all want the best for UConn but external financing needs to be ramped up for us to remain competitive. I think this will get even more attention given Mora's comments. (BTW, if i can contribute to UConn on a monthly basis, others can, as well).

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Mora is probably the most football media savvy coach we’ve had - my gut sez something happened over the bye week that provoked the timing of that sudden off script NIL/$ diversion. Haven’t figured out what yet.

Guess time will tell.
My guess is it's recruiting related and maybe a recruit or two who they thought they had turned away at the last minute because they were offered more money. That's the only explanation I can see for why he all of a sudden brought this up. My guess is teams are circling with big bags of cash.

Reaction Score
He really believed UConn would be going to the ACC or Big 12. Then the rug was pulled out from under him.
The rug has been pulled out from under many of us ;)
Wish we hadn't made a bowl game last year because we did is putting to much expectation on this season.
No attack at another's thinking but I'll take a winning ticket any year we can get it. Would love to see a bowl game every year and not be afraid of next years expectations.

Is it just me or are there others that think The BoneYard needs a Pickle Ball forum?

Reaction Score

The whole premise of putting Mora on a seat is stupid but I will entertain this.

Nick Charlton was considered a top NE Coach.

I don’t want any NE ice ball coaches. I want a guy who wants to score 60 points a game.

The Holy Cross guy wasn’t interested last time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom